Female Dogs With Female Dogs?

Isabel964

I notice alot of people seem to think two females will not get along, as a general rule. So if you have a female dog, then you should look for a male dog if you are seeking a companion for it.

Even alot of rescue websites will advertise a female dog and say that a home with a male dog is sought.

Is it true that females tend not to get along? I have two females and they adore each other. Is this unusual?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's unusual at all... it also depends on the temperament of the dog too and not just the sex.

Emmy is enough of a bitch to get another one... :(

Edited by CW EW

Guest english.ivy

Depends on the female, each canine is different.

I've had two females together and yeah they fought a few times, for no reason at all and one female was always the one to get hurt [only ever minor].

Guess after seeing my two dogs fight, this time I went a male/female mix and I personally find it to work a lot better.

My current female can be quite bitchy so I'd never had another female to my pack. Playing with other female dogs on mutual ground, she's fine but at home on her turf is another story.

I notice alot of people seem to think two females will not get along, as a general rule. So if you have a female dog, then you should look for a male dog if you are seeking a companion for it.

Even alot of rescue websites will advertise a female dog and say that a home with a male dog is sought.

Is it true that females tend not to get along? I have two females and they adore each other. Is this unusual?

No. It all depends on a lot of things. Ages, temperment, how they are introduced etc etc. Ive known lots of female dogs that got on. I had a elderly GSD bitch who got on just fine when I got a Kelpie Bitch Pup. I also had a Male Rotty who eventualy got on with a Male Pitbull I fostered for a while. It took a bit of managing in the beginning but it worked in the end.

My sister has two females - who really adore each other - and I usually add Lottie in with them, and they all get along great, but they all have quite layed back natures.

Lottie is with a female at our place (my housemates) and they adore each other as well!!

I also have a friend who has two females together - they had one fight and could never be trusted alone together again - I saw one fight and it was really scary!!

I think it depends on the individual dog!

I have 2 females and they get along fine. Very occasionally ( like when one has been to the vet) they get a bit growly at each other and I watch them closely then. However this is very short-lived. The older one is the boss and she likes it that way so if the younger one gets more attention for some reason she is not happy. Saying that I had not had a problem and try to share the attention as equally as is possible. They are labradors and desexed.

I re-home desexed females to homes with desexed females with no problems.

Entire bitches is your problem (and not with all of them of managed well)....you need to understand the reason for the agro to start with :(

Edited by MEH

My parents two females love each other to bits. They've never had an issue. I hear people talking about same sex aggressiong all the time though on here, but I can't say I know of anyone who has had a particular issue.

My parents two females love each other to bits. They've never had an issue. I hear people talking about same sex aggressiong all the time though on here, but I can't say I know of anyone who has had a particular issue.

I know a number of entire bitches that have gone each other and one that killed another.

'Entire' is where the problems stem from.

I have always had 2 females but one has always been a neuter. My current pack is one neuter bitch, one entire bitch, one neuter male and one entire male. The ONLY two who don't squabble are the girls.

The boys squabble over who's going through the gate first.....then both get told to quit it, neither of them are. The entire female squabbles with the young entire male when he misbehaves, which is often. The two neuters squabble over food. But the two girls never say a cross word to each other.

My previous dogs were both female and they loved each other. The only time they'd have cross words is when they'd been to the groomers and they didn't like the way each other smelled.

I am confident with my entire bitch with her mother and her half sister.

They all get along beautifully and have very similar personalities.

However I do not trust her with my dogs sister, mother or even grandmother. Each one of these bitches is very full on and pushy.

I think it has a lot to do with the personality of the bitches.

I know many people who run bitches together who have never had an issue.

'Entire' is where the problems stem from.

Probably, but even saying that my entire girls have always run together and I've never had a problem. They never argue. They are alone in my yard with bones and toys most days and it's not a problem. Two entire females and a desexed female at the moment.

The breed and the individual temperament of the bitches involved counts for a lot.

I have 2 desexed females that get along brilliantly. However!! My cocker is the sort of dog that loves everyone and everything. I always knew that no matter what other dog I added to the mix she would love them. My beagle on the other hand is not so tolerating. She dislikes all other dogs besides my cocker. She is not aggressive but she is not interested in being "friends" with any other dog, male or female. But give her a human to snuggle up to and she's happy.

I think it always depends on the individual dog.

I have an entire mother and daughter running witha neutred male. they all get along brilliantly. one got otld off the other day for trying to steal the males bone but no fights.

mind you when i sent mummy dog to her breeders she attacked her mother and got severely injured in the process.

Two desexed bitches here. Mischa (2 years older than the other) is the dominant bitch and tolerates no 'funny business' from Cleo. The pack order here is very clearly established with Carl and Mischa being the alpha pair and the other two very submissive. The girls have had the occasional scrap over food, but it is mostly air-snapping and scrabbling. No blood has ever been drawn. They are fed separately and there have been no issues since. Other than that, they get along well, sleep in the same bed, share cuddles/toys and play together.

I have several friends that keep multiple females without issue. However, on the rare occasions there are any issues with our 'pack' that gets together after training (can be quite a few dogs and includes entire and desexed males and females) 99% of the time it is between two females, both desexed and entire.

I think it's a matter of how individual dogs, with their individual personalities, sort things with each other. I've twice had a pair of desexed, ex-show tibbie girls. When one came to join the resident girl, there were a few hissy fits at first. But after a while, they've become absolutely devoted to each other.

We had a male & female sheltie (both desexed). The male was a saint of a dog, the female a bossy drama queen. Danny put up with her for ages. Then one day, she pushed him away (he was much smaller) to take his treat. Saint Danny lost it....& lit into her. No harm done, a lot of fur flying. And the drama queen was outraged...'Did you see what that brute did?'. No sympathy from anyone. Danny went back to being a saint. Madam was just a little more polite around him.

Edited by mita