My Pup Has Parvovirus

michelle&zoey

Great news, hope she continues to improve!

So no vomiting or diarrhea? Is there a chance the made a wrong diagnosis?

Not neccessarily - if caught early enough then sometimes they pull through with minimal symptoms.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news, hope she continues to improve!

So no vomiting or diarrhea? Is there a chance the made a wrong diagnosis?

Not neccessarily - if caught early enough then sometimes they pull through with minimal symptoms.

Wishful thinking on my part for young Zoe, sending more positive vibes from us.

Hi good luck with your puppy. My boy was about 18 weeks old when he got pavo. 2 weeks after his last needle.

He was vommiting and bloodly diohere (sp) He went into the vets and was home about 1.5 later and was ok. still took a little time to recover as he lost soo much weight and he was only allowed very little amounts of food then it was built on.

there is dogs that survive. just takes time. i hope your little one pulls through

Today’s test results are worse than yesterday. She doesn't need plasma but she will do if she gets any worse. Her diarrhoea eased a little this afternoon. The vet said it's too early to know if it means anything. I'm hoping it'll go away.

Edited by michelle&zoey

Today’s test results are worse than yesterday. She doesn't need plasma but she will do if she gets any worse. Her diarrhoea eased a little this afternoon. The vet said it's too early to know if it means anything. I'm hoping it'll go away.

Just started reading this thread brought a tear to my eye. I hope she gets better poor little girl :(

There was no vomiting or diarrhoea over night. She's quiet bright this morning. They will give her some water with electrolyte this afternoon. If she does well with that and has no vomiting or diarrhoea tomorrow, they will try feeding her food.

There was no vomiting or diarrhoea over night. She's quiet bright this morning. They will give her some water with electrolyte this afternoon. If she does well with that and has no vomiting or diarrhoea tomorrow, they will try feeding her food.

:) hoping for the best

Have you treated your home , yard and her bedding etc for WHEN she does come home.

I haven't thought that far ahead. How do I treat everything? I'm going to replace all her stuff.

Edit: I want to thank Wundahoo for the informative information PMed to me.

In summary I have to bleach my home and pup’s belongings as my property will be infected for at least 6 months. No pups/ young dogs are allowed on my property except mine. My parvo pup will shed the virus from her body for up to 2 months. During this time she can infect other unvaccinated or recently vaccinated dogs and puppies.

At home she needs to rest for a few weeks in a quiet spot to recuperate. Kids must be gentle and not run around with her. Playtime is limited to 10 minutes. Once she has recovered she wont get the disease again.

What if a young child stayed with us on the weekend, gave my pup pats and cuddles then went home and did the same with their pup. Could indirect contact pass the disease on? My neighbours have been informed.

Edited by michelle&zoey

:winner: for solid poop

I don't know the answers to all the q's about parvo . I have not dealt with it, I am sure someone in DOL will be able to tell, in fact there is a pinned thread about quaranteen which has a lot about parvo etc in the rescue section , may be worth a read, was very enlightening

Glad Zoey is getting back to normal and is eating and now doing solid poo :winner:

I have a parvo survivor. They require alot of tlc when they get home and it will take a while for her system to become strong again (especially because she is such a tiny puppy) but be patient, feeding small bland meals frequently will help make her strong again. We had my little man on Prescription i/d for ages and it was definitely the best food for his digestion.

Try and get your hands on some Trigene, F10 or Virkon from your vet it's much more effective than bleach at killing the virus. I sprayed and scrubbed my entire house, deck and concrete in the yard before my pup came home to limit spread via our shoes through the neighbourhood. All of his stuff was chucked or washed in trigene. While he was in quarrantine, I regularly went through the whole scrubbing and disinfecting process especially concentrating on places where there is fecal matter. I had a spray bottle with trigene at my front door and our shoes were sprayed if we went out. If anyone came in to our house they also had to have their shoes sprayed with trigene on the way out. No dogs were allowed on my property for 6 months (even if vaccinated) I refused to take the risk that any dog would catch the awful virus from my place.

Good luck and good on you for giving her the best chance to recover.

Edited by Rottigirl

Just stumbled across this thread.

All the healing vibes and well wishes being extended to Zoey coupled with the German Shepherd fighting spirit and the special care and TLC she's receiving gives your little girl EVERY chance of getting through this. :laugh:

If they do let her go home soon keep a very watchful eye on her condition.