Fish Based Kibble... No Chicken Or Beef?

Yes, wild rabbit alone has insufficient fat to sustain a dog or a human as a sole diet. They even have a name for the syndrome, "rabbit starvation".

I guess fattened domesticated rabbits may be a different matter, or rabbit mixed with another source of fat or carbohydrate.

I've also seen a study where they fed cats rabbit as a sole diet and most of them rapidly developed dilated cardiomyopathy due to lack of taurine - not sure if this is a problem inherent in rabbit meat, or the fact it was ground or frozen before feeding, but either way it wasn't a great diet for those cats. Don't have the link for it anymore, unfortunately.

ETA, wait, I do. Here it is: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca...hqA76WMIrcV-vnw

Edited by Staranais

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all :-)

Roo he can have but the challenge is finding roo meat that isn't mised with beef / chicken / lamb. A lot of foods just have 'offal' as an ingredient too, or 'liver', which doesn't help. The ProPlan one sounds good but the 'animal fats' concerns me.

Yes - he's been great on the EP Holistic Anchovy but its just too unreliable.

He's on the Canidae Salmon at the moment but I had to buy that online - does anyone know a retailer in Perth that sells it?

I can always fall back on the royal canin hypoallergenic but if I buy that it just means I don't eat for a week!

Regarding raw: considered it - but what can I feed him? I looked at BARF etc. but all their varieties contain multiple protein sources, eg their Kangaroo BARF contains beef too. So not an option.

Also looking into a NZ produced food - ZiwiPeak .. they have a venison version - any thoughts on that?

He's on the Canidae Salmon at the moment but I had to buy that online - does anyone know a retailer in Perth that sells it?

Did you receive my PM re Canidae agent?

:) I did. Completely skipped my mind when I wrote that note. Your PM was fantastic - lots of great info - def going to try a few of those places. Thank you so much for that~ :(

Did you receive my PM re Canidae agent?

Would also love to know where in perth to buy it :thumbsup:

If you ring Kappina distributers on who are the only distributers for WA

They will help you

if you look up the canidea website they give out the retailers :thumbsup:

I see in the US they have a new flavour Bison and lamb

Also duck and Turkey Grain free

Working on permits as we speak

by 'hot meat' i meant some protein sources which can make inflammation worse in allergic dogs. my girl isn't allergic to the food itself but we are mindful of foods that can make her skin irritations linger. Our vet said beef and lamb are common to make allergies worse

I saw that as well as beef and fish

I was interested in the bison and lamb as doesn't have chicken in it :)

We can not bring beef into the country

Very tough guidelines

But never say never

ZiwiPeak is supposed to be a top food. Haven't really heard anything negative about it.

Can you not buy the Eagle Pack online? My little itchy dog does well on Eagle Pack Holistic as well.

We were buying EP online through Pookinuk - but they had consistent issues with supply, and trying to get an update from them was like pulling teeth. So then I end up on the phone to every Better Pets & Gardens store I can think of, as City Farmers don't stock it, and driving all over Perth to pick it up.

Funnily enough - visiting Geraldton this weekend, had a browse through BP&G and they had 6 bags of the EP HS Anchovy...so I bought half their stock.

If I can get it... I will stick with the EP, as he likes it a lot and it works, and just supplement with raw roo ... but wanted some thoughts from others so I have a back up plan if the EP keeps being impossible to find!

We feed Natural Balance which is Lamb based and made in WA...Our ridgy is allergic to most meats, but does really well on this one!

have a look here...lists ingredients, etc. Hope you find something for you dogster ;)

edited to add.....lamb isnt fish :shrug: sorry.....

Edited by Lab_Rat