A$$ Hole With Foxy In Spearwood

kels84

hi all

was walking the dogs the other day and noticed this guy screaming in our direction, now at the time we had our greyhound x on a lead and our poor old rottie frankie of the lead,Frankie is a lovely dog never goes near other dogs thinks he is people and he was walking right beside me. as this guy got close he starts screaming at me your a f**#ing idiot mate then gets in my face calling me every thing under the sun. I tell him that my dog is fine and he continues going off, Then steps up to me this guy was just like his dog which had a go at my grey pup btw, he was a yappy little bitch could not believe this still in shock now

really sad that some people out there are like this the walk that we go on is very quite and every body walks there dogs off lead even thou its not designated as an of lead area

You were breaking the law. Put your dog on a leash and be a responsible pet owner, or go to a designated off leash area.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this guy came flying in my direction, as stated I had my grey x puppy on leash and rotti beside me as the guy came at us my rotti move out of the way because he has so often been bitten by smaller dogs and now gives them a very wide birth he's not scared of them but wise of there mannerism

while this guy was up in my face his foxy had a go at my pup who was on the lead !!!!

what im getting at is,ok I was wrong to assume that it was a leash free area and I should have put frank on the lead but you just don't carry your self the way this guy did

He was trying to intimidate me and i had to use every bit of self control not to end up in bigger trouble. To many people are angry in this world!!!!. He could have informed me and there would not have been a problem instead he carried on like a pork chop and things could have ended a lot worse.

Yep, he was completely over the top, but some people here are claiming to have intimate knowledge as to what was going on in his head, and I'm just trying to point out how completely silly that is. This thread has brought up everybody's issues with off lead dogs and I don't know whether you've noticed, Kels, but threads on DOL have a tendency to run away with themselves.

I'm not suggesting his behaviour was ok or acceptable, but that we have to allow for people overreacting when we don't do exactly the right thing and we don't have all the facts or know their history. For all we know this may have been their very first dog walk after a long rehabilitation following a previous attack on his dog. Would you look at his behaviour differently if you thought that might be the case? Would you then think "Well ok I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong but in hindsight I can see how traumatic that must have seemed to you"? We don't even know if the fellow has some mental/intellectual disability that affects his behaviour.

My point was that we don't know enough to judge the man or his state of mind at all, only his behaviour.

I'm talking about these types of people not the people who have well trained dogs.

To me it's irrelevant. People whose dogs would kill another given the opportunity are so far at the end of the spectrum that they don't even come into consideration in this kind of situation as it is an absolute given that they should never ever be allowed off leash under any circumstances. They are not the ones who ruin it for everyone, the ones who ruin it for everyone are the ones who don't respect the law, and don't respect other people's right to walk without being harassed or worried by other people's dogs.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

This was completely uncalled for. Simply saying 'no offense to people who own them' is NEVER going to remove the offensiveness from such a comment. If I owned one of these breeds I'd have the serious Sh!ts on over this comment and would be extremely offended.

My experience has been (not surprisingly) entirely the opposite. The people complaining are the ones who walk their dogs on lead and have to put up with their dogs being constantly harassed by someone's wandering, off lead "Precious".

:laugh: Well said!

I don't think yelling and swearing is an appropriate thing to do and I am appalled that some people think it is acceptable.

Nobody has said that it is acceptable. Most of us agree that it was over the top and could have been handled better, but that he would not have felt a need for it if the law had been followed in the first place.

If the off leash dog runs toward you or appears out of control, than a bit of yelling is ok, but that wasn't the situation in this case. Clearly the guy wasn't scared, otherwise he wouldn't have walked up to the so called aggressive and out of control dog with his dog.

Were you there? Did you witness the situation? Did you ask the man how he felt? Clearly, you are in no position to make a call on whether the guy was scared or not - perhaps he had to walk past quite close to them to get home. :laugh:

this guy came flying in my direction, as stated I had my grey x puppy on leash and rotti beside me as the guy came at us my rotti move out of the way because he has so often been bitten by smaller dogs and now gives them a very wide birth he's not scared of them but wise of there mannerism

while this guy was up in my face his foxy had a go at my pup who was on the lead !!!!

what im getting at is,ok I was wrong to assume that it was a leash free area and I should have put frank on the lead but you just don't carry your self the way this guy did

He was trying to intimidate me and i had to use every bit of self control not to end up in bigger trouble. To many people are angry in this world!!!!. He could have informed me and there would not have been a problem instead he carried on like a pork chop and things could have ended a lot worse.

Have you stopped to consider he would have had no reason to act that way and most likely would not have reacted if you dog was on a leash?

I do not think you can call this guy an A$$ Hole when you were the first person in the wrong

I think it is fairly safe to say, if you are not in a designated off leash area, your dog needs to be on one.

As for the yelling man, it sounds over the top, but maybe he had just had a bad experience, maybe even just before he met you, and one more off leash dog made him blow his stack. It happens, we are human and not perfect and neither are our dogs.

Personally I know I can get very loud and very aggressive if I have just had a fright over something.

I used to only go to on-lead arears to walk my boy becuase although he was reasonably obedient he wasn't overly loose dog friendly. It wasn't so much the loose dog that bothered me but it cerainly bothered Merlin!! I used to get soooo pi..ed off with people yelling at me 'It's OK' my dogs fine' while it was running at mine - I used to yell back at them - Well mine's not!!! all the time trying to get Merlin behind me so he didn't start anything. :laugh:

It meant that I no longer walked Merlin through parks because I felt that it just wasn't safe - I used to get sooo mad that people couldn't take their off lead dog to an off lead park and let me walk my dog in peace!!! :laugh:

hortfurball- when I was talking about the two dogs that killed 3 dogs due to the owners negligence, I wasn't making a point of the severity of what can happen, I'm referring to the mind set of the owner "my dogs are fine" mentality that causes things like this to happen which in that case was a 10/10. It's people like this that have no idea about responsible dog ownership that caused these laws to be put in place, not responsible dog owners.

And as I have said in a previous post that things can still go wrong even if the dog owner is responsible but it is way less likely to and that Kels84 SHOULD of had the dog on the lead because its the law.

I don't mind people walking their dogs off leash, as long as the dog is under control. Most dogs aren't under control even on leash and go nuts every time we walk past them on the footpath, so for most people it's a bad idea to take the leash off. There is a guy who lives up one of the side streets around here and he has two fluffy white ones, and he's always walking them off leash at night. He only has marginal control over them, and he doesn't seem to care much where they go, they're always running into the road. One night he was walking them past us on the other side of the road, and one of his dogs started heading for me and my dog, and stopped in the middle of the road to look at us, and nearly got hit by a car. The other night they were running around loose near his house and started barking and growling at me as I walked past (I had picked my puppy up), and again a few nights ago he was walking towards us on the footpath and one of the dogs stopped and stared at us. I got ready to pick my dog up, but then the guy grabbed the dog and ushered them both up a side street. This guy should not be walking his dogs off leash, but we have encountered other dogs off leash that are under complete control and it's a pleasure to watch them and be around them.

All of the times I have had a dog actually try to go for, or gone for my dogs, they have been on leash, and have snapped as they pass by, or charged at her and been stopped by the leash, or actually pulled the leash out of the owners hand and charged at my dog. I don't trust on leash dogs much more than I trust off leash dogs. Most people that let their dogs off leash know that their dogs are friendly and can control them, at least that is my experience.

I have even had people let their dog go up to my dog at pet stores while I have kept her on a very tight leash directly behind me while paying (because I couldn't watch her just then) and then suddenly hear barking and growling and snarking and then some idiot has decided to let their dog introduce themselves to my dog behind my back, while she was trapped by a very tight leash. And no, it wasn't MY dog barking and snarking, it was the other dog that they let go up to my dog that suddenly turned vicious.

The other morning I was driving up our road and saw a rottie slip his collar and run across the road (lucky I didn't hit him) and started attacking another dog on the other side of the road. A collar and leash doesn't necessarily stop a dog from causing damage, the collar and leash should not be used to control a dog, it is merely a management tool. The REAL issue is that most people don't bother training their dogs.

I let my poodle x off leash in a nearby bush area sometimes, I trust her recall, she always stays in sight and I always put her lead back on if I see people approaching in the distance. We also use it as an opportunity to practice her recall some more. I never let my puppy off leash, he fixates on things and would be impossible to call back.

Edited by fuzzy82

Those who are saying "It's ok to have the leash off so long as the dog is under control", can we define 'under control'? Because I'll guarantee we end up with a whole array of different interpretations, some of which would horrify those of us that don't like to be approached by off leash dogs when walking our own responsibly on leash.

There have also been comments along the line of walking dogs on leash because we have to as we have no control over our dogs. Ever think that this may be due to a string of circumstances that all started with an off leash dog? I'll be the first to admit that I can't let Ella off leash because I can't 100% trust her around other dogs, but the initial cause of this was another dog that the owner swore would be 'absolutely fine'. I'm sure they thought they had adequate control over their dog, after all it was a working farm dog so highly obedient, didn't stop it having a go when it met a strange dog though, and the result, unfortunately, is that I can't even take Ella to off leash parks and I get shirty when I see an off leash dog approach in the on leash areas we are limited to.

Once when Kuges was set upon by a large black blur that hurtled suddenly out of the dusk, when the owner arrived, grabbed his dog and dragged it off Kuges I yelled and screamed and swore and abused him for having his dog off leash because yes I was scared, I hadn't seen it coming. Nothing the owner said was getting through until my BFF yelled my name and managed to get my attention long enough to explain that the owner was apologising and that his dog had broken it's chain, and that I should calm down and we should move on because the owner looked like he was starting to get angry with me for abusing him and she suspected if I continued that he'd let go of his dog's collar. Oops. :laugh: I managed to apologise for ranting and we moved on.

So yes, people yell, scream and swear when they are scared, whether it's warranted or not.

I don't mind people walking their dogs off leash, as long as the dog is under control. Most dogs aren't under control even on leash and go nuts every time we walk past them on the footpath, so for most people it's a bad idea to take the leash off. There is a guy who lives up one of the side streets around here and he has two fluffy white ones, and he's always walking them off leash at night. He only has marginal control over them, and he doesn't seem to care much where they go, they're always running into the road. One night he was walking them past us on the other side of the road, and one of his dogs started heading for me and my dog, and stopped in the middle of the road to look at us, and nearly got hit by a car. The other night they were running around loose near his house and started barking and growling at me as I walked past (I had picked my puppy up), and again a few nights ago he was walking towards us on the footpath and one of the dogs stopped and stared at us. I got ready to pick my dog up, but then the guy grabbed the dog and ushered them both up a side street. This guy should not be walking his dogs off leash, but we have encountered other dogs off leash that are under complete control and it's a pleasure to watch them and be around them.

All of the times I have had a dog actually try to go for, or gone for my dogs, they have been on leash, and have snapped as they pass by, or charged at her and been stopped by the leash, or actually pulled the leash out of the owners hand and charged at my dog. I don't trust on leash dogs much more than I trust off leash dogs. Most people that let their dogs off leash know that their dogs are friendly and can control them, at least that is my experience.

I have even had people let their dog go up to my dog at pet stores while I have kept her on a very tight leash directly behind me while paying (because I couldn't watch her just then) and then suddenly hear barking and growling and snarking and then some idiot has decided to let their dog introduce themselves to my dog behind my back, while she was trapped by a very tight leash. And no, it wasn't MY dog barking and snarking, it was the other dog that they let go up to my dog that suddenly turned vicious.

The other morning I was driving up our road and saw a rottie slip his collar and run across the road (lucky I didn't hit him) and started attacking another dog on the other side of the road. A collar and leash doesn't necessarily stop a dog from causing damage, the collar and leash should not be used to control a dog, it is merely a management tool. The REAL issue is that most people don't bother training their dogs.

I let my poodle x off leash in a nearby bush area sometimes, I trust her recall, she always stays in sight and I always put her lead back on if I see people approaching in the distance. We also use it as an opportunity to practice her recall some more. I never let my puppy off leash, he fixates on things and would be impossible to call back.

Well said - I completely agree

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Also i find jack russells and fox terriers horrible little dogs no offense to people who own them but i haven't meet a nice one yet, All the ones i have meet have been very bossy and dominate to other dogs. Ny Shelley hates jack russels and fox terriers cause there the breeds who bully her the most, they bark in her ears which annoy her and they also snap at her too. So when i see these breeds i avoid them.

Well, I've taken offense. I have two very well behaved Fox Terriers and two JRTx. Your gross generalisation seriously shits me.

To top it off you are braggiing about walking your dog off leash and breaking the law. Good one. :laugh:

I do agree in some way that maybe you should have had your dog on lead but then i disgree too in a way. I walk my Shelley mainly all off lead walking she isn't walking beside me she walks up front a bit but i still have great control over her, One whistle or call of her name and she is back with me even if there is another dog around. But if i see another dog i call Shelley put her in heel say ignore but have my hand gently on her collar. I only let Shelley greet the other dog if the owners ask or say its ok. I find most of the people who complain about offlead dogs around here are the ones that can't control there dogs. There are no signs here stating if the dogs have to be onlead or off, I had Shelley offlead and was passed by police who didn't care, They have said how well behaved she is and how much control i had over her was amazing, They even said they wished all owners had there dogs under control like my Shelley was.

Well, I've taken offense. I have two very well behaved Fox Terriers and two JRTx. Your gross generalisation seriously shits me.

To top it off you are braggiing about walking your dog off leash and breaking the law. Good one. :laugh:

I would take offence too if I was a JRT or Fox terrier owner. I've met quite a few Foxie's & JRT's & they have been lovely well mannered little dogs.

I think it is really bad form to generalise them all as horrible dogs..especially on a Purebred dog forum, where we should be promoting our Pure breeds ..not bagging out a whole breed because you've met a couple you didn't like. :laugh:

I'm not sure what your favourite breed is, but I'm sure it would offend you if someone came on here & said that your breed in general was horrible, dominant & bossy, just because they met a few they didn't like.

Edited by Baileys mum

I'm not sure what your favourite breed is, but I'm sure it would offend you if someone came on here & said that your breed in general was horrible, dominant & bossy, just because they met a few they didn't like.

Presumably Goldens. http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=215168&hl=

And that's a breed I've had problems with while walking my dogs. However.. I don't make a point of singling them out as a "bad" breed of dog, despite my own negative experiences with them as it's not the dogs I have problems with, it was the owners who let them run around off lead in an on lead area.

Once when Kuges was set upon by a large black blur that hurtled suddenly out of the dusk, when the owner arrived, grabbed his dog and dragged it off Kuges I yelled and screamed and swore and abused him for having his dog off leash because yes I was scared, I hadn't seen it coming. Nothing the owner said was getting through until my BFF yelled my name and managed to get my attention long enough to explain that the owner was apologising and that his dog had broken it's chain, and that I should calm down and we should move on because the owner looked like he was starting to get angry with me for abusing him and she suspected if I continued that he'd let go of his dog's collar. Oops. :laugh: I managed to apologise for ranting and we moved on.

So yes, people yell, scream and swear when they are scared, whether it's warranted or not.

that would be so me as well :laugh:

mumtoshelley- I think your confusing the word "horrible" to describe JRT and Fox terriers, I think you should of used one of these phrases- a lot of moral fibre, a sh!t load of character, huge backbone, enormous spirit, lions worth of courage, a hell of a lot of fortitude and most of all, guts.

I dont see why people find the need to walk their 'perfectly trained' dogs off leash...the amount of people I see with their dogs off leash but clip them on as soon as someone comes...that must surely take more effort than keeping your dog clipped on

mumtoshelley- I think your confusing the word "horrible" to describe JRT and Fox terriers, I think you should of used one of these phrases- a lot of moral fibre, a sh!t load of character, huge backbone, enormous spirit, lions worth of courage, a hell of a lot of fortitude and most of all, guts.

I agree my nans JRT x is all that lol just barks as well but he is friendly to everyone, including dogs and cats :thumbsup: he often kisses my cat :thumbsup:

maybe i shouldn't have said horrible, maybe i should of said not a breed i am fond of. I have had nothing but problems with jack russells and fox terriers but thats probably due to the owners not training them. There probably are good jack russells and fox terriers but i have yet to meet one.

There is no signs on ant oval or parks here saying my dog must be onlead, Most people who see Shelley offlead do not seem worried about her at all. Shelley doesn't even look at the other dogs she looks at me. If i kept Shelley onlead the whole walk i would have to walk 4 hours just so she had enough exercise, Where if she is let off lead she runs around and gets plenty of exercise for 40-60 minutes. Shelley doesn't go near roads and if she did i just got to say halt and she stops/sits and waits. There could be another dog across the road and Shelley will not move if the other dog aproached her she comes back to me. She won't even move if someone calls her. I love golden retrievers but i've seen some bad goldens out there due to the owners not training them or socializing them properly. So i know its not the breeds fault but the owners but i'm just not fond of little dogs much,I like the temperment of bigger dogs personally.

I am pretty sure all of Victoria is on lead unless in a designated area.

I knew a very well trained dog who once, and once only, forgot his training. And ran out onto a road. Pity it cost him his life.

A lot of people dont like retrievers, no need to say they are horrible dogs :thumbsup: