A$$ Hole With Foxy In Spearwood

kels84

hi all

was walking the dogs the other day and noticed this guy screaming in our direction, now at the time we had our greyhound x on a lead and our poor old rottie frankie of the lead,Frankie is a lovely dog never goes near other dogs thinks he is people and he was walking right beside me. as this guy got close he starts screaming at me your a f**#ing idiot mate then gets in my face calling me every thing under the sun. I tell him that my dog is fine and he continues going off, Then steps up to me this guy was just like his dog which had a go at my grey pup btw, he was a yappy little bitch could not believe this still in shock now

really sad that some people out there are like this the walk that we go on is very quite and every body walks there dogs off lead even thou its not designated as an of lead area

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, while he shouldn't have screamed and been rude to you, he was 100% in the right. Sounds like his dog doesn't like other dogs, it could have easily been attacked by an off lead dog before.

If 'everyone walks their dogs off lead' he's probably just had enough. I wouldn't blame him.

Edited by melzawelza

Kels, I undertsand. My gentle Kelpie walks perfectly off leash like your rottie. I have 100% control of her. I always carry a leash for her on me. I know I am breaking the law in some places having her off leash - my decision.

I understand some people may be nervous if they had a bad experience with an off leash dog (for this reason I avoid other people and if I can not I will put her on leash) , but that is no reason to behave in that offensive way. To my mind you were verbally attacked and abused - it is not acceptable.

He could have talked to you nicely and discussed his point of view. He did not need to be abusive.

I fortunately have not had this experience. It was probably because yours is a rottie, rottie and shepperds etc are often (unfairly) assumed to be dangerous and a threat.

Kels, I undertsand. My gentle Kelpie walks perfectly off leash like your rottie. I have 100% control of her. I always carry a leash for her on me. I know I am breaking the law in some places having her off leash - my decision.

I understand some people may be nervous if they had a bad experience with an off leash dog (for this reason I avoid other people and if I can not I will put her on leash) , but that is no reason to behave in that offensive way. To my mind you were verbally attacked and abused - it is not acceptable.

He could have talked to you nicely and discussed his point of view. He did not need to be abusive.

I fortunately have not had this experience. It was probably because yours is a rottie, rottie and shepperds etc are often (unfairly) assumed to be dangerous and a threat.

I'm really interested in this, if she walks perfectly and you're holding a lead, why the need to have her unclipped? What is the benefit if you are just walking down a footpath? Its not like she's in an open space running around, she's right next to you walking, so why not clip her up just for safety?

thanks that is exactly what i think. I rang the ranger after the incident as i was unsure if it was a on or off lead area as there is no signage and he said that any area that is out side of a exercise area is a lead area and now that i know i will conform

but the way he went about it just wrong the guy with the foxy that is

Sorry, while he shouldn't have screamed and been rude to you, he was 100% in the right. Sounds like his dog doesn't like other dogs, it could have easily been attacked by an off lead dog before.

If 'everyone walks their dogs off lead' he's probably just had enough. I wouldn't blame him.

Sorry Kels84 but I agree with Melzawelza and Crisovar.

If you choose to break the law, then at least have the courtesy to put your dog back on leash when you see another person walking their dog. You don't know what has happened to them in the past. He shouldn't have yelled, but it may have been fear talking. My heartbeat used to go through the roof when I saw an off leash dog because both of mine were jumped so often that I ended up with two DA or fear aggressive dogs, so every time I saw a dog off leash I knew if it got close enough I could have trouble, whatever its intentions.

These days I get angry and prepared instead. I step between, ask the owner to control their dog and command their dog to back off. If the dog approaches me and my dog after that I have every intention of putting the boot in. In situations like yours where the dog doesn't leave your side, I would walk in a wide circle around you, but if this involves me having to cross a road to avoid you, I'm going to think you are rude and selfish for necessitating it.

It's just not fair to expect everyone to be ok with the idea of a strange dog off leash, and the larger the dog, the more intimidating the idea of it being off leash. 'Poor old Frankie' probably wouldn't care if you clipped his leash on for 50m or so.

thanks that is exactly what i think. I rang the ranger after the incident as i was unsure if it was a on or off lead area as there is no signage and he said that any area that is out side of a exercise area is a lead area and now that i know i will conform

but the way he went about it just wrong the guy with the foxy that is

Yes he went about it the wrong way. I'm glad to hear you have called the ranger and will now conform, but I wonder how it is that you didn't know that dogs should be on leash at ALL times unless there is a sign saying otherwise. Not attacking you, just curious how dog owners escape this knowledge? :laugh:

If your walking your dog off lead and it's an on lead area, how is anyone to know you have control of your dog?

IMO it is irresponsible and I can understand why the guy got annoyed.

If you saw him screaming didn't you think it might be because he was worried and that you could have put your dog on the lead to make the guy less worried?

Dog owners who break the rules are one of the reasons the community want more laws which makes it more difficult for people who are responsible dog owners.

If your walking your dog off lead and it's an on lead area, how is anyone to know you have control of your dog?

If you saw him screaming didn't you think it might be because he was worried and that you could have put your dog on the lead to make the guy less worried?

Dog owners who break the rules are one of the reasons the community want more laws which makes it more difficult for people who are responsible dog owners.

like i said this is a area where heaps of people walk there dogs off lead this is the first dog i have seen on a lead and I did not realise how people were about this but like i said i will conform now

but this guy came at me and got in my face no need for that he wasn't scared he was just a fight

Guest Panzer Attack!

kels, I think he may have panicked because his dog was only small. The largest dog I have owned has been 10kg, and my current pup is 1kg, he will probably grow to be 3-4kgs max. A large offlead dog can KILL a small dog with barely any effort, even by accident.

My old housemate's large crossbreed nipped my much smaller cross Bambi once when she got too close to a bone. A larger dog would have barely been grazed, but we had to rush Bambi to the vet for immediate emergency stitching, the amount of blood was terrifying. And these were two dogs that lived together and loved each other!

Good on you for deciding to walk your boy on lead from now on :laugh:

like i said this is a area where heaps of people walk there dogs off lead this is the first dog i have seen on a lead and I did not realise how people were about this but like i said i will conform now

but this guy came at me and got in my face no need for that he wasn't scared he was just a fight

If you are going to walk your dog anywhere, then you should know the laws pertaining to this.....after all you wouldn't get into a car and drive it if you had no idea about the road rules.

I agree the guy was a little bit OTT, but you were breaking the law. The old saying goes that my mother always said, if your friends jumped off a cliff would you follow them too?

I HATE people who walk their dogs off lead in a public place (not meaning off lead parks), I dob them in every time. I wish the fines were harsher so it put a hole in their pockets....then maybe they would think twice about doing something so stupid and unlawful.

BF

People can yell when they are scared. They may look angry but it can be fear based. Perhaps he was also angry that your dog being off leash made him feel fearful for his dog. I'm not saying he handled it well, but sometimes people just react in a fearful situation, without thinking about the best way to achieve an outcome.

Frankly, I can understand his reaction.

My dogs have been mounted, nipped, scratched and had their coats torn or damaged by off lead dogs and my dogs are at least large dogs (so I've never had to worry too much about them being seriously hurt by something bigger than them).

The excuse "But my dog is so well-behaved and would never hurt another dog" just doesn't cut it. In my experience, it's the "Oh, he's just playing, he's very friendly" dogs who run at my dogs, tail up high, hackles up and looking for a fight (all while the oblivious owner stands around yapping on the phone or otherwise ignoring warning behaviours).

If the law states dogs must be on lead (and this is the law in most areas), there's just no excuse to break it. If you can't see signage to indicate whether the area allows dogs off lead, assume it is not allowed.

There have been so many threads on here about dogs (both small and large) being hurt by off lead dogs, I honestly can't believe anyone would try to defend something as irresponsible as breaking a very sensible law.

Frankly, I can understand his reaction.

My dogs have been mounted, nipped, scratched and had their coats torn or damaged by off lead dogs and my dogs are at least large dogs (so I've never had to worry too much about them being seriously hurt by something bigger than them).

The excuse "But my dog is so well-behaved and would never hurt another dog" just doesn't cut it. In my experience, it's the "Oh, he's just playing, he's very friendly" dogs who run at my dogs, tail up high, hackles up and looking for a fight (all while the oblivious owner stands around yapping on the phone or otherwise ignoring warning behaviours).

If the law states dogs must be on lead (and this is the law in most areas), there's just no excuse to break it. If you can't see signage to indicate whether the area allows dogs off lead, assume it is not allowed.

There have been so many threads on here about dogs (both small and large) being hurt by off lead dogs, I honestly can't believe anyone would try to defend something as irresponsible as breaking a very sensible law.

I totally agree. I have a small dog who could be very damaged by larger dogs and how do I know who has effective control over their dogs?

Off leash dogs are one of the reasons I don't like walking my dog.

Unfortunately it's all the people in the past who have had their dog/s off lead that weren't under control in public gave dog owners a bad name, if these people hadn't ruined it for everyone, people like kels84 who have done the right thing and have their dogs under control on lead and off, could freely and responsibly walk their dogs off lead in public.

But the law is there so we have to stick with it.