Non Dog People Vent

dee lee

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A FULLY ENCLOSED verandah is NOT OUTSIDE dandybrush!!!

To be honest I'm not that bothered by her being out there, though I am a little concerned about the potential for barking. But we will see how that goes.

As I have said several times, I'm just tired of such negativity regarding the dog.

I wish everyone could be welcoming instead of feeling SO annoyed if the dog goes up to them for a pat.

Jacqui835, I agree, I always try to make sure its pleasant to be around Honey.

I've just had her bathed for maximum good smelling-ness. :laugh:

sorry, i didnt catch that part, however my spoiled pup is used to sleeping in my bedroom, so i dont really know how he would go out on the enclosed veranda, but if honey is ok with that then i really dont see it as a problem. however i do get your concerns for the negativity towards your dog and would prob just not put my pup in that position, :)

Its ok, I wasnt having a go at you. :mad

I am sure Honey would much rather be in with us- and I would too, but it doesnt seem too bad a compromise. :(

I really have to go to visit- my inlaws are pretty good to us and I dont want to upset them by refusing to go.

But every xmas time we go away with another family and they (and my OH) spend the whole time telling Honey to go away.

So I will be putting my foot down with them and not going next time- only so much I can bear when I have paid to stay somewhere!

Family is juuuust a little trickier... :rofl:

I feel you, I am lucky that my OH loves dogs just as much as I do - we both would much rather have dogs than kids! Family is a different story altogether, my family is of the 'dogs stay outside' mentality and should only ever be used as guard dogs. They can't understand it at all and everything my mum comes over she spends 98% of the time complaining about the fur, the smell, the fact that my dog is inside, why do I even have a dog, I'm spoiling my dog, I should get rid of her, etc etc etc. Same with most other members of my family AND my OH's family as well. :) I hate it, and I try to avoid having family over much now, as I just simply cannot bear the looks of disgust on their faces if Emma so much as blinks. You are right, it is tricky with family...

And the kids are very upset at the thought of Honey sleeping outside so maybe they can guilt my BIL into letting her in! :)

An 'enclosed' verandah is hardly outside is it?

If I'm on one side a closed door and my dogs are on the other, I think that's how they'd view it.

Yup, my dog sleeps next to my bed, and that's just the way it is. I will respect that some people don't want dogs on the bed, whereas at home we just wash him and the sheets often, but I won't accept not having him in my room.

I feel so sorry for everyone who has unsupportive partners, I imagine that would be the hardest... I met my partner before I got my dog, and he tried on several occasions to talk me out of it. Worse, he was anti-doberman like my family, so I dragged him along on an 16 hr return trip drive (in a black car in summer) to meet the breeder. He loved the dogs and from then on was pretty much on side, except for the occasional, "I told you so" when things were made difficult by having the dog. Now I can just say, "what are you proposing - we give up the dog?" and he's always like no of course not and we can start actually looking for proper solutions.

I'm a strange doggy loving person - I don't love other people's dogs at my house and I certainly don't like them unexpectedly.

We live on 2 acres in a rural village. We have cattle around us and we have neighbours who are okay with our dogs and we'd like to keep it that way. We have a dog run but we don't have fences between our yard and one neighbour, the other neighbour has only rural fencing. I can only think of one person's dogs who I would be happy to have at my place off-lead - and they're a professional dog trainer.

I have a friend who brings her dog to our house most times she visits but she ALWAYS brings him on lead. Another friend brings hers, never has them on lead and never gives me warning that they're arriving. They run up to larger dogs in the dog run and aggravate them, then causing barking which I find really annoying.

Bilbo Baggins will often stay at my house but she understands that the indoor dogs need to be cat safe AND crated at night. She also knows that the dogs need to be on lead unless they're in the dog run.

I feel for you. None of my friends are really dog people. but my family are, I'm the craziest one but my mum loves coming along to all Quinn's training, she reckons she gets a real blast out of watching us work together. And I'm so grateful I have people to vent about and talk dog issues with, BYBing, rescue, dog laws, BSL, training etc and we can all discuss it.

I am looking forward to meeting some more people really into training though, people I can spend time with that enjoy dogs as much as I do.

*puts up hand*

im available :laugh: plus raz and quin got on really well :)

You should be coming up north to train at Suncoast with me then. I've never seen Quinn take to another dog like Razzle so I reckon she'd love to see him again.

Edited by B-Q

Dont get me wrong, I respect everyone's feelings and don't force the issue, but for gods sake, it would be sooooo nice to feel like Honey was welcome. :)

sorry but your dog doesn't need to go everywhere with you and I don't feel you are respecting other peoples choices. Dog would be fine sleeping on an enclosed deck.

It's easy. Don't go.

Not an option.

Dogs aren't my only interest, I am not going to dump my family and friends over it.

I just feel sad that this is the way it is.

I don't understand why people don't like/love dogs.

I don't get it either but I'm not about to force anyone to like my dogs. If people come to my house it's my rules so I pretty much get that if it's another person's house it's their rules.

Thanks to you too Leelaa17!

I just dont think i could do it. I'm too sooky about her!! :)

Seriously, her quirks are difficult things for me to leave her with out fretting.

Haha, that's a bit how I feel about Erik. I don't know what we are going to do next time we go on holidays. Usually we leave them with my parents, but last time he was there he took to chasing my mum's Sheltie to make her run away whenever he didn't know what else to do. I don't think it's fair on them to leave him there to terrorise one of the resident dogs, get himself outrageously worked up every time one of the others looks like she might want to play fetch, and upset the cats. Erik is just a lot of work if you are not used to having a dog like him around. I have a "Uh-oh, I think Erik is learning something. Quick, have to work out what it is before it's too late!" crisis on a regular basis. I really hate trying to break him of habits. It's haaaaard. *pouts*

I'd take a quirky GR for a night. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? :laugh: Erik has really honed my "trouble" radar. :mad

On the topic of non dog people, I guess it doesn't bother me much. If the dogs aren't going to enjoy themselves they stay at home. My SIL always says we can bring them but they just have to stay outside. So we don't bring them. Mostly we are too worried they won't like being outside. My BIL invites them, but we don't take them because his dogs don't like mine and I'm the only one that apparently cares about this.

On the other side, IMO there are also things you can do when taking your dog to the house of non dog friends to keep them happier & make it more likely that your dog is invited back.

e.g., I have found that doing simple things like being able to put your dog in a drop in the corner & leave her lying there quietly for half an hour while you have your coffee & chat makes non-doggy people much happier than having the dog wander around the place. I usually ensure my dog is really well exercised before visiting new people so she's more inclined to relax and stay still.

And I always furminate my girl & would bathe her if she smells at all "doggy" before taking her to the house of a non dog friend, so she smells fresh & drops little fur while she's there. We might be used to the mild doggy smell that our dogs have, and the odd piece of shed fur, but I've found that non-dog people can find it quite offensive.

Can't she sleep in her crate in whatever room you are sleeping in? I don't see why he would make her sleep outside, unless he has decided she's not allowed inside at all ever? What difference does it make to him if she sleeps inside or outside?

I would be putting my foot down, if we were invited somewhere for a weekend we would obviously bring the dogs, we're not gonna drive them an hour to the boarding kennel I like just so we can visit someone, and if I am bringing my dogs, I decide where they sleep. They don't move from their beds at all all night, so why would it matter to the house owner? If they were then to say 'no, the dogs will be sleeping outside/away from you' then I would say 'forget it, we'll stay home'. There is no way I would let the dogs sleep anywhere except in the same room as me.

I usually ensure my dog is really well exercised before visiting new people so she's more inclined to relax and stay still.

And I always furminate my girl & would bathe her if she smells at all "doggy" before taking her to the house of a non dog friend, so she smells fresh & drops little fur while she's there. We might be used to the mild doggy smell that our dogs have, and the odd piece of shed fur, but I've found that non-dog people can find it quite offensive.

I took this approach one time... We had a 'people and dogs pizza night' at a friend's new built home. So i washed her the night before, and booked her in for doggy daycare that day to give her something to do, tire her out etc. Boy was it the wrong thing to do... she came back all agitated, worked up, smelly, and worst of all, disobedient! I took her to (not sure if I am allowed to name them here??) the fanciest doggy daycare in alexandria (at least by looking at the website and calling them on the phone!), and not only did they not let me take a look around (despite having asked about this over email and on the phone about the times acceptable to do this beforehand etc), they didn't take ANY registration details from me, didn't ask for a phone number, didnt even check she had been vaccinated or ask any questions about her health - things they claim to do on their website. They also let the dogs just toilet anywhere in the big concrete space, which I personally found a bit gross. She's been to other doggy daycare since and been great... I don't know what happened there but I won't be taking her back. Sorry a little off topic!

Can't she sleep in her crate in whatever room you are sleeping in? I don't see why he would make her sleep outside, unless he has decided she's not allowed inside at all ever? What difference does it make to him if she sleeps inside or outside?

I would be putting my foot down, if we were invited somewhere for a weekend we would obviously bring the dogs, we're not gonna drive them an hour to the boarding kennel I like just so we can visit someone, and if I am bringing my dogs, I decide where they sleep. They don't move from their beds at all all night, so why would it matter to the house owner? If they were then to say 'no, the dogs will be sleeping outside/away from you' then I would say 'forget it, we'll stay home'. There is no way I would let the dogs sleep anywhere except in the same room as me.

it's his house, his rules

Just like people who don't like/love cats :laugh:

I think you're making this out to be far more difficult than it is. Your BIL has agreed to Honey coming to visit. Take a roomy crate with you and when you want to do something, pop her in there so you aren't worrying about her 'annoying' your BIL.

It all seems so simple, dont' make it difficult :mad

I agree. I'm sorry Deelee I think you're sweetheart but I don't understand people who need to take their dogs everywhere. I wouldn't dream of taking my dog to a non dog persons house . I have friends who want to bring their dogs when they visit or come and stay and I always say no. It's make me feel uncomfortable saying no and Im sure it irritates them somewhat but it upsets the balance with my other pets and I dont want to run the risk of someone elses dog chewing or toileting inside etc. I minded a friends Pug recently - 100% toilet trained at his home but unbeknown to any of us he spent the weekend decorating my curtains :) . And because I dont want other peoples dogs here my weekend is not as relaxed which seems pretty unfair IMO.

Just like people who don't like/love cats :)

I think you're making this out to be far more difficult than it is. Your BIL has agreed to Honey coming to visit. Take a roomy crate with you and when you want to do something, pop her in there so you aren't worrying about her 'annoying' your BIL.

It all seems so simple, dont' make it difficult :laugh:

Exactly!

It really won't kill her or you to put up or shut up for a weekend.

Not everyone is a dog lover, or a cat lover or a noisy car lover, some people don't like kids.

Why is it so hard to respect another persons house rules.