Dog Snorting Through Nose

Wow - Talk about stressful. One of my dogs has just had a full on 5min gasping attack.

Since this afternoon Molly has been making a snort like sound. Sort of like a pig. She had been chewing a marrow bone.

I woke up about an hr ago (bad back) and noticed this pig snorting/snoring noise but she was sleeping, breathing and generally looking fine.

Just now my mum got up and .Molly got excited and this breathing fit started. Jaw clenched shut making god awful wheezing sound. Took a good five mins to calm her done. All the while calling emergency vets.

I'm familiar with reverse sneezing as my other dog gets it. But the sound Molly was making I honestly thought she was going to die.

Not to be grosse but the sound is similar to when you have Clem in your throat and try to bring it up or talk.

I've checked her nosecand doesn't appear to be anything up there.

If she was choking would the gasping be coming from her mouth?

Emergency vet says to watch her overnight. Will see vet in morning. Going to be a long five hrs.

Oh and thank god for iPad. My desk computer would still be loading.

Edited by AussieDog

Molly had another "attack" so I took her to an emergency vet. She is there now so they can monitor her. Unfortunately she didn't do her snorting while we were there so vet isn't sure what is wrong with her.

I feel sick. I miss my little dog.

It sounds like she was reverse sneezing perhaps.

Here is a couple of videos that shows a dog reverse sneezing. If this is what she is doing, it is harmless in 99.9% of cases and you are possibly wasting money at the Vet.

Had she not started to snort in the afternoon straight after her bone then I probably wouldn't be worrying so much. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Her attacks are very similar to those in the YouTube videos.

She has been at vet since 6am and no further gasping. I am due to call again in an hour and see if she is ready to come home.

I hate this not knowing if it's serious or not.

My BC girl did this over the weekend in the middle of an Open Agility Run...on top of the dog walk. I didn't know what was happening & people watching thought she was going to be sick. She did it on & off over the whole weekend, whenever she got excited or did a run. I was quite worried about her till I got home last night & googled it & gave her an antihistamine & she is fine now she is home...must have been pollen or something at the trial ground. Glad to know it is not serious but it certainly stops her from running an event & it looks scary to people watching. ;) Any one know how to stop it when it happens, or if maybe an antihistamine in the morning might be enough to get her through the day :shrug:

Had she not started to snort in the afternoon straight after her bone then I probably wouldn't be worrying so much. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Her attacks are very similar to those in the YouTube videos.

She has been at vet since 6am and no further gasping. I am due to call again in an hour and see if she is ready to come home.

I hate this not knowing if it's serious or not.

My BC girl did this over the weekend in the middle of an Open Agility Run...on top of the dog walk. I didn't know what was happening & people watching thought she was going to be sick. She did it on & off over the whole weekend, whenever she got excited or did a run. I was quite worried about her till I got home last night & googled it & gave her an antihistamine & she is fine now she is home...must have been pollen or something at the trial ground. Glad to know it is not serious but it certainly stops her from running an event & it looks scary to people watching. :cheers: Any one know how to stop it when it happens, or if maybe an antihistamine in the morning might be enough to get her through the day :)

I recommend you both read this thread:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=205156

There are several things that people do to stop it. In my view, nothing really is effective, and as it isn;t dangerous I don;t worry too much about it. Having Pugs, we hear it all the time, although the Pugs with bracchy syndrome are more prone to experiencing it. I will often offer a small drink of something if it continues to envcourage them to swallow which has two effects - it makes the palate sit back down again and it washes away any irritants.

Daina reverse sneezes and her attacks last a while. I block her nose and stroke her throat or give her something to make her swallow.

The last one she had was a couple of months ago and her tongue and gum went blue and it took ages to get her calmed down. Poor girlie, it was just as we were leaving the house that she started so I worry what would happen if she had another really bad attack and we weren't home.

Excitement, heavy exercise and freshly cut grass set her off. Antihistamines before a walk tend to help.

We are all home and doing ok. Emergency vet can't tell me what is wrong with her but did give her an anti inflammatory injection.

Molly was still rasping/snorting like a pig so I took her to my normal vet. Again no real answer but she did some assessments and Molly has beautiful pink gums and tongue plus she is getting air out of both nostrils.

Was told to watch her and if worse mid week bring her back. Next step is xrays and camera down nose.

This snort has me worried even though Molly seems not to be bothered by it at all.

Might try the antihistamines. Do you use human ones?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post here.

Still being a massive worry wart - was an ok night except i was up at 1am just watching poor Molly like a hawk - i'm sure i'm making her more anxious. Just some grunting/snorting noises - thankfully no reverse sneezing.

I taped her yesterday making her grunt noises to show my vet and i've uploaded one of them to YouTube. Just wondering if anyone has heard a dog make these noises and/or any suggestions as to what it could be. 2 Vets and $400 later i'm still none the wiser. Have just been quoted $500 for the scope up the nose but Vet did say we may not find anything. Link to video

I got some Manuka Honey today so giving that a shot. The noise i'm sure is coming from her nose - not her mouth.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm.. my old dog made snorting sounds like that when she had a small seed stuck up her nose.

That's what I originally thought. But the vet confirmed air was coming in and out of both nostrils than told me that that would indicate nothing up there.

She doesn't do it all the time. She is sleeping next to me and is as quiet as a mouse.

I might call around and see if I can find another vet who will do the scope cheaper.

Well Molly had her scope today as she is still doing the odd snort.

No polyps or inflamed areas within the nasal cavity and as there is no discharge it is unlikely anything within her sinus areas.

So still no answer as to why the sudden noise making. I'm going to now try antihistamines.

This is third vet, fourth visit.

Just updating this incase it ever comes up in a search.

Molly hasn't snorted the past three days since i've been giving her Phenergan at night. Maybe a coincidence but i will continue for another day or so and then see what happens. She only gets the one dose at night but it seems to take her right through the following day.

So looks like it may have been allergies. Annoying as i queried this originally and was pretty much laughed at. I am glad though that it appears to be nothing serious.

The Vet did say both dogs should loose some weight as it MAY be putting pressure on the soft pallet causing the snorting (which i now don't agree with 100%) but i do agree the dogs are on the fat side. So we are on a strict diet and are swimming weekly and walking daily.

For those in Sth East Vic i highly recommend WoofPurNay down in Narre Warren. Not my usual vet but i went to them as the scope was much cheaper than my normal vet as was the C3 injection and heartworm test. The vets there have been wonderful and very patiend with me and my dogs.

The Vet did say both dogs should loose some weight as it MAY be putting pressure on the soft pallet causing the snorting (which i now don't agree with 100%) but i do agree the dogs are on the fat side. So we are on a strict diet and are swimming weekly and walking daily.

Glad to see things are improving... but why don't you believe the theory above? :thumbsup: It may be that the excess weight is adding to the issue and without the wieght, the dog may not succumb to the symptoms as easily.

Edited by ~Anne~

Glad to see things are improving... but why don't you believe the theory above? :confused: It may be that the excess weight is adding to the issue and without the wieght, the dog may not succumb to the symptoms as easily.

I do agree somewhat that weight can be adding to the problem which is why we are dieting. But my dogs are in no way obese. Dog in question, blue heeler weighs 23kg. I just don't agree that it is the full diagnosis of the snorting.

But yes - we can all afford to trim up a bit in this household.