200 Dogs Saved, Bound For Chinese Restaurants

mish13

In our local paper today I found this article

Hot Dogs off the menu

Beijing: A truck crammed with about 200 stolen dogs bound for Chinese restaurants was intercepted by an animal lover who swerved his car across its path on a Beijing highway.

The man used his microblog to alert about 200 animal rights activists who gathered round the truck during a 15 hour standoff.

The dogs were freed when an animal protection group brought them for 115,000 yuan ($16,699).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OH just came back from China and said it was common to see dogs crammed in cages ready to go for meat, just at market stalls out in the open.

As for stolen - if they were stolen why did they pay for the dogs? Sounds like they just made a deal for them.

This is what i received on the subject:

Chinese dogs saved from cooking pot

Posted 10 hours 41 minutes ago

Hundreds of dogs being trucked to Chinese restaurants were spared after about 200 animal lovers mobilised to stop them ending up on dinner tables, state-run media said.

A truck crammed with the dogs was forced to stop on a highway in eastern Beijing by a motorist who swerved his car in front of the truck and then used his microblog to alert animal-rights activists, reports said.

The dogs, many apparently stolen from their owners, were being transported from the central Chinese province of Henan to restaurants in Jilin province in the north-east, the China Daily said.

It said 430 dogs were rescued, while the Global Times put the number at 520.

Eventually, about 200 animal lovers and activists gathered around the truck in eastern Beijing and after a 15-hour standoff that jammed traffic the dogs were freed when an animal-protection group purchased them for 115,000 yuan ($16,600), the Global Times said.

The interception of the dogs was the latest bold action by pet-lovers in China, where growing awareness of animal rights is colliding with centuries-old culinary practices.

There have been regular reports in recent years of citizens attempting to block trucks carrying hundreds or even thousands of cats to meat markets in southern China, where cat meat is particularly popular.

The China Daily quoted activists saying many of the dogs still had collars with bells and name tags, indicating they had been stolen from their owners.

The consumption of dog and cat meat, both of which are believed to promote bodily warmth and are thus popular in winter, remains widespread in China despite a surge in popularity as pets.

However, earlier press reports have said authorities were looking into drafting a law that could outlaw the practice.

The reports on the dog rescue suggested the truck company was unlikely to face legal action as it had all the necessary permits to transport the animals.

The healthy dogs were to be made available for adoption in one month while the sick ones, suffering from dehydration and infectious diseases, were sent to pet hospitals in Beijing.

- AFP

OH just came back from China and said it was common to see dogs crammed in cages ready to go for meat, just at market stalls out in the open.

As for stolen - if they were stolen why did they pay for the dogs? Sounds like they just made a deal for them.

Interestingly, I also visited China and I didn't see one. I also spoke to numoerous people, who were Chinese nationals, about this very subject and they said it does happen, but it is no longer considered accpetable by the majority of Chinese. It is only the people who were stuck in the 'old ways' that ate dog meat.

I have also found this to be true in Vietnam.

This is what i received on the subject:

Chinese dogs saved from cooking pot

Posted 10 hours 41 minutes ago

Hundreds of dogs being trucked to Chinese restaurants were spared after about 200 animal lovers mobilised to stop them ending up on dinner tables, state-run media said.

A truck crammed with the dogs was forced to stop on a highway in eastern Beijing by a motorist who swerved his car in front of the truck and then used his microblog to alert animal-rights activists, reports said.

The dogs, many apparently stolen from their owners, were being transported from the central Chinese province of Henan to restaurants in Jilin province in the north-east, the China Daily said.

It said 430 dogs were rescued, while the Global Times put the number at 520.

Eventually, about 200 animal lovers and activists gathered around the truck in eastern Beijing and after a 15-hour standoff that jammed traffic the dogs were freed when an animal-protection group purchased them for 115,000 yuan ($16,600), the Global Times said.

The interception of the dogs was the latest bold action by pet-lovers in China, where growing awareness of animal rights is colliding with centuries-old culinary practices.

There have been regular reports in recent years of citizens attempting to block trucks carrying hundreds or even thousands of cats to meat markets in southern China, where cat meat is particularly popular.

The China Daily quoted activists saying many of the dogs still had collars with bells and name tags, indicating they had been stolen from their owners.

The consumption of dog and cat meat, both of which are believed to promote bodily warmth and are thus popular in winter, remains widespread in China despite a surge in popularity as pets.

However, earlier press reports have said authorities were looking into drafting a law that could outlaw the practice.

The reports on the dog rescue suggested the truck company was unlikely to face legal action as it had all the necessary permits to transport the animals.

The healthy dogs were to be made available for adoption in one month while the sick ones, suffering from dehydration and infectious diseases, were sent to pet hospitals in Beijing.

- AFP

Thanks Dust Angel for that information

Interestingly, I also visited China and I didn't see one. I also spoke to numoerous people, who were Chinese nationals, about this very subject and they said it does happen, but it is no longer considered accpetable by the majority of Chinese. It is only the people who were stuck in the 'old ways' that ate dog meat.

He went to some really 'backwater' parts of China visiting factories with his boss. He went to a couple of places where they had never seen western people in the flesh before and were just amazed at his looks and in particular the flesh tunnel in his ear and tongue peircing. He saw the market stalls with skinny dogs crammed in there tight ready for sale. It does happen, not mainstream but it does.

It's strange, we were in Hong Kong in January, and people there adore their dogs. There are so many dogs there, and people pamper them and treat them like babies, dress them up etc, and you can buy all sorts of cute stuff for dogs.

But I guess if authorities are thinking about banning dog meat it must mean that the majority of the population is now against it.

this makes me sick.

In Vietnam, they've stopped eating dogs... not sure if that's the case in the country, but the main parts of Vietnam have stopped.

I happened across a bbq'd dog in Nth Vietnam at a market. :thumbsup:

this makes me sick.

In Vietnam, they've stopped eating dogs... not sure if that's the case in the country, but the main parts of Vietnam have stopped.

Anne's right - friends went to Vietnam last year, they stuck to the tourist trail and saw dog on the menu. It was a brave friend that told me about what they saw quietly knowing my love of dogs.

Article was in the SMH yesterday, posted it in the In The News section of DOL and someone has posted photos too.

Link

this makes me sick.

Anne's right - friends went to Vietnam last year, they stuck to the tourist trail and saw dog on the menu. It was a brave friend that told me about what they saw quietly knowing my love of dogs.

Article was in the SMH yesterday, posted it in the In The News section of DOL and someone has posted photos too.

Link

Sorry Panto I didn't see your thread when I posted mine. Those photos are very disturbing.