Dog Vs Window, Dog 0: Window 1

Pudel

My Standard poodle got excited by the cat in the front yard. She jumped up on the window, broke the glass and wwe had a very quick trip to the vet. Off course it was after hours. She managed to cut her leg. Did not even bother to look at it just saw lots of blood, rang the vet got the after hours number and phoned. Wrapped her leg in a towel (not that she let any one hold it on) and drove her and three kids to the vet. Turns out she had knicked and artery and cut 2 tendons. So now she is cluncking around the house. Somehow we need to keep the splint on for a fortnight. I love my stupid dog, but dont love $600 vet bills.

Now comes the fun bit ... working out ways to stop her doing it again :(

we have windows with a main window at the top with a 1/2 slide, and a fixed section at the bottom at floor level that doesn't open. We have replaced many of the floor level window sections with timber panels or hardiplank. We have had a few dog v's window episodes so we don't replace with glass. I guess that will only be an option for lower window sections though!

Maybe some sort of film on the main windows might help prevent injury if the window is broken.

Oh dear - poor poodie hope she recovers fast.

Our deerhound managed to "lean" 3 family members through our back windows over a 2 year period. Luckily house insurance covered the breakages and we replaced the windows with toughened glass and no blood was spilt.

my Dane did a playful jump backwards (trying to initiate play with out other dog) and went baclwards through the window! She was lucky though and just had a superficial cut on her bottom.

I hope your poodle heals nicely! Boy that would have been frightening!

and expensive too as you have to pay for the vet bills and the window!

Buy butterfly stickers or something bright and pretty and place them on the glass. You can also buy the proper stickers for this purpose... but they're not as pretty. :thumbsup:

One of my Pugs, Monte, does this on a regular basis but has never broken the glass. I assume he gets a sore head though and I am not sure it would be great for his epilepsy either.

Doh, ignore me, I mis read your post. I thought the dog had gone through a doorway. :)

Edited by ~Anne~

Ouch! Poor, SILLY, girl :thumbsup:

I am hoping she will learn from her mistake. I said hoping, I don't actually believe that will happen.

If she's anything like my Enya was, she won't learn a thing! Enya put her foot through a window years ago by scratching on it asking to come inside - for the rest of her life, the silly girl continued to scratch at windows.... with the same foot! She certainly taught me to move quickly when she scratched on a window though! :)

My Neapolitan Mastiff Pandora hates my Cattle Dog. He was outside on the verandah one morning and she was inside. She whacked the glass with her paws and took out the whole window. She didn't hurt herself, although I told her she didn't deserve to be so lucky. My sister's Wolfhound X was at my house, stuck his head through the cat door and took out the cat door and the window. I am a bit tired or replacing windows!

Spartan got all excited once, couldn't stop, and went straight through a bottom pane of a window...

he was wearing an elizabethan at the time for another issue and luckily that took the impact, meaning he ended up outside, none the wiser, and not a scratch on him.

I am hoping she will learn from her mistake. I said hoping, I don't actually believe that will happen.

Doubt it - given you're responsible for ensuring her safety, you need to put something in place to stop it happening again :)

Doubt it - given you're responsible for ensuring her safety, you need to put something in place to stop it happening again :confused:

I have come up with a few ideas, thinking perspex on the inside. It is of course the window at the front of the house, so am not prepared to board it over. She has access to the house and back yard as she pleases, and she really likes watching what is walking by outside. So I thought if I could rigg perspex, like you hang flyscreens it can be moved and repaired easily for cleaning (that was a joke by the way) and if we ever sell the house. It wont obstruct her view, she will be happy and my cats can still tease her through the window.

My poodle is the sweetest natured, but most ditzy dog I have ever met. Her nickname at obedience class was Pogo.

I would be changing the glazing in the windows - if your dog can break it so can a child.

Also if you had pet insurance the vet costs would have been covered, we have pet insurance as part as our household insurance.

Nasty scare though

My Standard poodle got excited by the cat in the front yard. She jumped up on the window, broke the glass and wwe had a very quick trip to the vet. Off course it was after hours. She managed to cut her leg. Did not even bother to look at it just saw lots of blood, rang the vet got the after hours number and phoned. Wrapped her leg in a towel (not that she let any one hold it on) and drove her and three kids to the vet. Turns out she had knicked and artery and cut 2 tendons. So now she is cluncking around the house. Somehow we need to keep the splint on for a fortnight. I love my stupid dog, but dont love $600 vet bills.

Remove the three kids in the car on the way to the vet and you've just described a scenario at our house a couple of months back. Pepper's leg bled so much (and she didn't seem to notice the injury, so she was zooming around the house a bit before we managed to slow her down)... the house looked like an episode of CSI. All healed well, which surprised the vets a bit. Not easy to keep a GSP quiet, but we didn't have too much trouble and I hope it's just as easy for you with your girl.

We found that the broken window was the old type of glass, not the safety glass they have to use now. The window is out of bounds... we've been able to call Pepper away from it ever since without too much effort, thankfully. Moving to a new house with a cat run and a different window set up, so it's a great relief to know that it's not likely to happen again!