Unfair Stereotypes

Guest HarperGD

totally know all about stereotypes with 3 Bull Terriers. I used to get mad, but now I just shake my head at how rude some people are- people often are fascinated by them and go 'oh wow, I havent seen one of these for a while' and then next sentence, 'god they are ugly though'. :heart: Hey I know they arent for everyone, but some people, especially strangers can be so blunt! But I often get compliments too from people who had Bullies in the past, or are fans of them and have changed quite a lot of peoples point of view on them, especially our next door neighbour. She had lived next door to bullies as a kid (now in her 50s) and was afraid of them as she had a bad experience with them, but now ours go over her house and are so sweet and gentle with her little jrt x that shes come around and will pat them and give them hugs.

You have the right attitude in training your poodle up to be the best behaved your dog can be to prove them all wrong! :heart:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the same. I thought poodles are sissies.

And then we got our brown standard and he is just perfect in every way. Smart, playful, no aggression. Fantastic. I would get another poodle any time.

Oh, and he is definitely not a sissy. :heart:

Bruno.jpg?t=1304645793

Guest rhy&ge
totally know all about stereotypes with 3 Bull Terriers. I used to get mad, but now I just shake my head at how rude some people are- people often are fascinated by them and go 'oh wow, I havent seen one of these for a while' and then next sentence, 'god they are ugly though'. :eek: Hey I know they arent for everyone, but some people, especially strangers can be so blunt! But I often get compliments too from people who had Bullies in the past, or are fans of them and have changed quite a lot of peoples point of view on them, especially our next door neighbour. She had lived next door to bullies as a kid (now in her 50s) and was afraid of them as she had a bad experience with them, but now ours go over her house and are so sweet and gentle with her little jrt x that shes come around and will pat them and give them hugs.

You have the right attitude in training your poodle up to be the best behaved your dog can be to prove them all wrong! :)

Haha tommygirl - wouldn't you just LOVE to turn around to those people and say: "are those your kids playing over there? God they're ugly..."

:thumbsup:

totally know all about stereotypes with 3 Bull Terriers.

I must admit I used to be quite wary of them - although I love the look of the dog - because of a childhood experience and some terrible owners of one (again badly trained dog - not just because it was a Bull Terrier)

but Boonie's (our lab) best friend down the dog park is a BT named Gary - Gary protected Boonie from a fight with a boxer when Boon was all of 3 or 4mths of age - ever since best mates.

Absolutely lovely dog.

I own a fat, ugly, lazy dog who's eyes will pop out at any time so he shouldnt be allowed to play with other dogs.

Fat - Spends too much time running around to be fat

Ugly - Definately not!

Eyes popping out - Surprisingly they havent yet....

Lazy - No he isnt, but my photos probably portray that wrong as the only photos i get that arent just a blur, are when he is sleeping :thumbsup:

post-21391-1304653719_thumb.jpg

totally know all about stereotypes with 3 Bull Terriers. I used to get mad, but now I just shake my head at how rude some people are- people often are fascinated by them and go 'oh wow, I havent seen one of these for a while' and then next sentence, 'god they are ugly though'. :) Hey I know they arent for everyone, but some people, especially strangers can be so blunt! But I often get compliments too from people who had Bullies in the past, or are fans of them and have changed quite a lot of peoples point of view on them, especially our next door neighbour. She had lived next door to bullies as a kid (now in her 50s) and was afraid of them as she had a bad experience with them, but now ours go over her house and are so sweet and gentle with her little jrt x that shes come around and will pat them and give them hugs.

You have the right attitude in training your poodle up to be the best behaved your dog can be to prove them all wrong! :(

Haha tommygirl - wouldn't you just LOVE to turn around to those people and say: "are those your kids playing over there? God they're ugly..."

:eek: on a ground hog day, I would love to say 'have you looked in the mirror lately?'. But I just do that in my head as I walk away lol.

I have 3 Border Collies that must be impossible to live with and require hours of exercise every day.

Our dogs are what we make of them. Just ignore it and have the last laugh when you have a beautiful poodle that is a delight to own.

totally know all about stereotypes with 3 Bull Terriers.

I must admit I used to be quite wary of them - although I love the look of the dog - because of a childhood experience and some terrible owners of one (again badly trained dog - not just because it was a Bull Terrier)

but Boonie's (our lab) best friend down the dog park is a BT named Gary - Gary protected Boonie from a fight with a boxer when Boon was all of 3 or 4mths of age - ever since best mates.

Absolutely lovely dog.

I was the same. I thought poodles are sissies.

And then we got our brown standard and he is just perfect in every way. Smart, playful, no aggression. Fantastic. I would get another poodle any time.

Oh, and he is definitely not a sissy. :thumbsup:

Bruno.jpg?t=1304645793

He is a very handsome, masculine looking poodle. Haha, and I'm trying not to sound surprised :eek:

I remember reading a children's book to my son (years ago) it was called Bill and Stanley...I think the dog in that was a Bull Terrier...anyhow they shared chocolate drops and got dirty..it was a good book (apart from the chocolate drop sharing :thumbsup: )

Shishh there are a lot of breed snobs out there :thumbsup: .

Bottom line is the per son who buys the dog, feeds the dogs walks the dogs and pays for the vet bills, is definitely the person who has every right to choose the breed they want to own.

Every body can go take a walk :eek:

SageAutunm106.jpg

TripSydneynov10008.jpg

3Blackpoodlesfilter.jpg

Graceincolour1.jpg

GlenorchydoubleMarch11001.jpg

campbelltown2-1.jpg

I have ugly dogs who have been chasing parked cars and who have eyes that will pop out.

Actually, that's mainly just Lola. Most people don't know what Sid is and he has been referred to as the following: pitbull, pig dog, boxer, staffy x, jrt x and Easter Bunny :love:

For hunting guinea pigs, of course. Or those little mini pigs. It makes total sense that you'd bred a little dog to hunt little pigs that live in hutches, silly Huga.

Back on topic..

I just nod and smile now. There's only so many times you can patiently explain that the muzzle isn't because the greyhounds like to feast on fresh human brainz before you start getting a little snide with people- "It's actually a splint, he broke his nose and now he has to wear this special nose splint :eek: "

Back on topic..

I just nod and smile now. There's only so many times you can patiently explain that the muzzle isn't because the greyhounds like to feast on fresh human brainz before you start getting a little snide with people- "It's actually a splint, he broke his nose and now he has to wear this special nose splint :eek: "

Yes, of course greyhounds MUST be baby killers otherwise they wouldn't have to wear muzzles. And dont forget that because they are racing dogs they need SOOOOOOOOOO much exercise!

Back on topic..

Yes, of course greyhounds MUST be baby killers otherwise they wouldn't have to wear muzzles. And dont forget that because they are racing dogs they need SOOOOOOOOOO much exercise!

I've found them to be more like most people when it comes to exercise- they like the idea of exercise (get a leash out and you're suddenly everyone's best friend) but actually getting the exercise.. meeeh, maybe tomorrow.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

A couple of months ago I was walking my amstaff Juno at a quiet park. A couple with a little girl and a lab came up behind us, dogs said g'day, little girl said hello to Juno. The man asked what breed she was and said she was a really nice dog. When I said Amstaff he replied

"Oh so you just feed her a baby a day" :eek:

This one caught me off guard I guess because she'd been so well behaved when the little girl patted her.

He meant it as a joke but this one stung a little :love:

As previous mentioned all I can do is make sure she's an excellent breed ambassador and show them what an amstaff should be! :)