The 'worst' Potential Puppy Purchasers

PomsNZ

Just had a call from a lady who owned some poms... The last little girl they had 'sadly' died when she got pregnant, to her sisters pom, as her boy wouldnt do 'that', and one day they seen legs sticking out the girls bottom.. they 'rushed' her to the vets but she died.

But its ok, her other boy is so gorgeous, hes really tiny at 5kgs! (keeping in mind the standard states males up to 2kgs). they have little kids but the kids dont really interact with the dogs, they are good owners, if someone comes and the dogs are on the counch they arent allowed to sit down or move the dogs...

Im thinking.. O.M.F.G.

whats your worst?

the first dgo got snake bitten, ok fine accident..second puppy (at 9 weeks) drowned in a creek on property..ok get this..while wandering on a huge acre property! I asked so do you have a yard to keep dog in now..oh no she replies, weve always let them wander and they always come back...um fail.

I want the puppy as a surprise for my wife's birthday.

Trying to be nice and probing a little more, I asked what they knew about the breed and if they'd discussed a dog previously.

"Nah I don't know much about puppies but my wife will look after it really good".

*where's my gun?*

The family that were adamant they didn't need fences as their dogs were very well trained and were never outside by themselves. When asked what happened to their previous dog she told me she got run over. Apparently not her fault but the fault of the people who had tossed KFC wrappers into the middle of the road. When I pointed out that the dog must have been wandering off the property to see the wrappers she hung up on me.

Excerpt from email I received last week:

Dear breeders,

I'm looking for a black female pup. Do you still have one available?

I would really like the traditional style 'fat head' lab - sorry for the uneducated description. It seems India fits the bill.

I know I can offer a dog a good home. My family have had labradores as pets and hunting dogs since as long as I can remember. I'm sure this is the pet for me.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks,

Dear breeders???

It seems India fits the bill - I think not.

For someone who has had labs for as long as they can remember you would think they would actually know a bit about them....or at least how to spell it.

Love the generic emails. :(

None as bad as those posted but was not impressed by someone who had lost a very old dog to illness 2 days prior to phoning me & they kept referring to the dog as IT :cry:

Posts so far are scary, it really is whacko world sometimes.

I've just had one the same as Pap, as a surprise gift for the wife but also wanted to know what to do with pup when they go away on holiday while it is still a young pup.

I had one guy who wanted a MALE rottweiler puppy for a companion so that he could take it on walks with him on the weekend.... also he would have to pick it up in January (pups were ready to go 22 Nov) because December is their busiest month and he cant do anything in December....oh and he had never had a dog before...

Ummm... you only walk and spend time with the puppy on the weekend and what about December, the dog just what has to go into a kennel because you are busy? WTF! :mad

I send back a lovely email saying that perhaps this stage of his life wasn't the right time for a dog.

I wanted to add that dogs require human interaction and aren't just garden orniments and just as a thought that perhaps he could join a walking club to give him someone to walk with on the weekend.... but I was too gutless! :o

Just yesterday,,Mum calls up as son wants a Newfy puppy.Discussion goes like this..

How old is son? 17years old

Well he must have good job if he can afford to feed and care for a newfy?

long pause..

As he is 17 I am sure his life will changeover the next 10 years, what happens if he cant keep the dog, do you want a Newfy?

No! I dont want one she says

Well thats Ok but I am afraid I would not sell him one anyway.

Why not? she asks

Sigh....

Had another guy that called 3 to 5 times a day!! twice at 6am just to ask a question. He then turned up at a show and was very strange, sorry no pups available.

I receive an email

"I am very interested in owning a dog can you advise the process"

I reply

"err are you asking specifically about a particular breed or just owning a dog in general?"

I receive an email

"Yes im interested in the XXXX XXXX" (gets the breed name completely incorrect"

I reply (by this time begrudguingly)

"err try XXX XXXX - why do you want one?"

blissful silence....

I have had people ask me to breed specifically for colour; for a timeframe (so they could go on holidays and come back to a fully house trained older puppy); for a dog that will never get sick - from anything ie genetic, environmental, stupidity etc; for an 8 week old puppy fully house broken and obedience trained....and the list goes on......

I am so over puppy people at present.....current people on this list excepted.....

I hate it when you get an enquiry & the person seems really great & very keen, & says all the right things & you talk on the ph to them for over an hour, make a date & time for them to visit to see the pups...you wait for hours for them to come & they don't end up showing up. :mad

This happened to me on Sunday...the person was supposed to come at 2.00pm...I waited till 4.00pm & they still hadn't turned up. I then rang them up to see what was going & I'm then told that they had changed their mind about getting an Aussie terrier puppy & had decided on a JRT instead...I then say that it would have been nice if they had of phoned me to tell me this, so I wouldn't be wasting my time waiting for them, & all she can say is 'Oh sorry, I meant to ring you, but didn't get round to it"

Some people are just so inconsiderate, as if I have time to wait for someone that has no intention of showing up all day. :mad

Wants a couple of pups for hunting and "does their skin heal quick because i do all my own stitching"!!

:eek:

You've gotta give some of these people points for trying, at least they've gone through the effort to find a registered breeder rather than picking up the nearest pup at a pet shop!

ETA Perhaps it wouldn't hurt for breeders to have a "generic" email for people who really want a dog but are just clueless, with links to informative web sites etc. Not saying you should sell them a pup, but a little education might go a long way, and if it's a generic email at least you're not wasting your time replying to someone who wont read it anyway.

Edited by Jeanne

Being a rare breed we mostly got really good enquiries but one lady emailed asking for a pup because her riding instructor had one and he was really cool. She happened to mention she didn't care what colour they got, which is good seeing there's a choice between red, red and red. She also wasn't happy with the price seeing she didn't want to show or breed.

At least she was polite though, we had a bloke ring up and speak to both Mum and I and he was incredibly rude. Demanding he got a BIG puppy, and when we explained ours were within standard he demanded to know why we weren't breeding bigger ones like he'd seen in his state. We suggested he contact the breeder who had the 'big' ones he liked or look at another breed. He did end up contact the other breeder and she turned him down for a puppy too, he was bloody rude to her as well.

We were very lucky though and the majority were fantastic. :)

my mum got a phone call for one of our chihuahua puppies many years ago, lady rang us up and asked if we have a male puppy, mum said we get all of our puppies desexed we keep them until 5-6 months old we don't sell any young pups. this lady answers so what if i want to buy one for breeding, mum just goes well you don't from us, sorry about that! (she really wasn't though) :D lady was suitably p**d off. so what does she do, gets one of her friends to ring up and ask if we had a male for stud, mum goes oh yea, lady goes how much, mum goes 2000 bucks, the line then went dead. :laugh: this was only a few hours later. did she think we were that stupid. we never got any regular phone calls in those days we were too far out in the sticks.

the first lady ends up now being the most well known puppy farmer in the state. we saw how she started out and mum kept saying watch her she is a puppy farmer. old mum was right she can pick em.

That's a bit scary. So other than desexing pups before they are sold, how can one be sure that a pup sold on limited register wont be bred from? Is it all a matter of being a good judge of character when questioning potential buyers?

That's a bit scary. So other than desexing pups before they are sold, how can one be sure that a pup sold on limited register wont be bred from? Is it all a matter of being a good judge of character when questioning potential buyers?

you can't really. limit reg only stops the dogs turning up at a show or being bred reg. down where we are, there are about 20 farms so we have always been warning reg breeders not to sell undesexed dogs down here because these farmers pose as normal family people or we've had some people hand the dog to others, ended up following up that one and the dog was sold desexed to a friend of ours after they worked out they couldn't breed with her. We thought it would be safe after telling buyers that she cant' be bred from the pups would grow in the wrong area and she'd end up giving birth to dead pups, these people said they were after just a pet, yeah right. but no they tried to breed her. So for years we worried what happened to this little dog and tried to track her to no avail. They came into our house and lied outright. so to protect the dogs thats what we have to do now desex them all, can't trust anyone anymore, not that we breed that many litters a year anyway so we can do that. Buyers can check out ok and say all the right things and know what to say like those people did, then go and breed them, had one lady tell me to mind my own business they are her dogs now and she is going to breed them if she likes! i said we sold those 2 female pups as pets only we put it on the receipt. Bit stupid really thats not gona stop them! We were a bit green then and this is when we first started in chihuahuas.

This is little toy dogs don't know about bigger breeds what they go through although heard that this lady also has a bigger breed that she farms as well. so no breed is safe really with her and the other farmers down in gippsland in the Wellington Shire region.

Edited by toy dog