Atheists Offer Pet Help After Judgment Day

Keshwar

Don't think I'll bother with any housework before Sunday.

Just in case. :)

Don't you want your house spick and span when Jesus comes? I'm going to stay up cleaning all night!

*note to self* go to sleep in more than just undies on Saturday night...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHEN Judgment Day comes - which some US Christian fundamentalists insist will happen on Saturday -

That sucks, I had a heap of stuff planned for Saturday. It'd be nice if someone could tell the rest of us poor, slovenly heathens that the world is ending and we shouldn't make plans. Hopefully Bunnings employs enough sinners that their stores will be open on the Saturday.

Seriously though.. as much as I appreciate poking fun at the extremist god bothers, actually tricking money out of them doesn't quite sit right with me.

Even if it was entirely fake, it would still bother me. :shrug:

I don't know if it can be classed as tricking them though, if God or Jesus or whoever does happen to come on Saturday the athiests may have every intention of doing as they promised, they just don't believe it will happen. If the Christians all go to heaven and the athiests don't look after their pets then yes they would have been tricking them but if it doesn't happen anyway we have no way of knowing whether they would have or not. It's Schrodinger's cat all over again :laugh:

It's taking advantage of people who are (in my opinion) vulnerable. Whether that vulnerability stems from something most of us would consider really scrazy is beside the point- these people are shelling out money to people who know they aren't going to be saddled with a bunch of dogs on Saturday. They are knowingly taking money from people who are scared and incapable of making sound decisions. If it wasn't christians, I'm sure people would be horrified.

Things like this make me a little embarassed to be an atheist, I'd never want to be associated with the sort of people who'd happily rip off unwitting christians and feel no guilt about it because the victims are just nutty god botherers. No one deserves to be taken advantage of.

Dear Atheists,

If the believers are right and the world ends.. you won't be here anyway.

This is starting to remind me of the skit with Rowan Atkinson calling the roll in hell. ;)

In the case of the rapture, I think those left behind get 7 years of pestilence, disaster and death before the second coming. Dunno about the Mayan end of the world, they didn't teach us about that in Religious Ed!

I think it's been fast tracked! Apparently we are going to get 5 months of massive natural disasters before the world officially ends on the 18th of October. Oh, and Zombies - don't forget the Zombies!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

enterprising

I'm on a golden retreiver forum where everyone else is American so I have had to promise to stay up until 12.01 am on Saturday morning and post whether the world is still in existance or not :laugh::laugh::laugh: It seems that it has been getting quite a lot of publicity over there the end of the world, haven't seen any here :laugh:

... they won't be sure unless you tell them?

O my dog - you could make a fortune!!!!

none of us are sure what time the ending is supposed to be so we are presuming (tongue in cheek of course) that's it at 12.01 am no matter what time zone is, so me being first if the world is still there at 12.01 am they know they will survive - roflol

Umm there is actually a small country a little east of NSW called New Zealand that will actually be first in the world. ;)

I meant that I get Saturday earlier than what my american friends do - but that's a good point - New Zealanders can let us know if they are still here at 12.01 am! lol

It's taking advantage of people who are (in my opinion) vulnerable. Whether that vulnerability stems from something most of us would consider really scrazy is beside the point- these people are shelling out money to people who know they aren't going to be saddled with a bunch of dogs on Saturday. They are knowingly taking money from people who are scared and incapable of making sound decisions. If it wasn't christians, I'm sure people would be horrified.

Things like this make me a little embarassed to be an atheist, I'd never want to be associated with the sort of people who'd happily rip off unwitting christians and feel no guilt about it because the victims are just nutty god botherers. No one deserves to be taken advantage of.

We don't know whether the people in the group would or wouldn't be saddled with the dogs, that's the point I suppose. :shrug: It would be a bit funny if they were saddled with the dogs :laugh: I don't know whether I'd call these people incapable of making sound decisions, by that reasoning you'd have to argue that anyone who believes so strongly in what the bible says is incapable of making sound decisions.

We don't know whether the people in the group would or wouldn't be saddled with the dogs, that's the point I suppose. :shrug: It would be a bit funny if they were saddled with the dogs :laugh: I don't know whether I'd call these people incapable of making sound decisions, by that reasoning you'd have to argue that anyone who believes so strongly in what the bible says is incapable of making sound decisions.

I suppose we'll find out on Saturday ;)

Good thing you are all haveing a good laugh about Christian fundamentalists, I believe they turn the other cheek.

You might want to be carefull about some of the other religions in the world, as they may not be so tolerant of your using their religious beliefs for a good laugh.

WHEN Judgment Day comes - which some US Christian fundamentalists insist will happen on Saturday -

That sucks, I had a heap of stuff planned for Saturday. It'd be nice if someone could tell the rest of us poor, slovenly heathens that the world is ending and we shouldn't make plans. Hopefully Bunnings employs enough sinners that their stores will be open on the Saturday.

Seriously though.. as much as I appreciate poking fun at the extremist god bothers, actually tricking money out of them doesn't quite sit right with me.

I don't know if it can be classed as tricking them though, if God or Jesus or whoever does happen to come on Saturday the athiests may have every intention of doing as they promised, they just don't believe it will happen. If the Christians all go to heaven and the athiests don't look after their pets then yes they would have been tricking them but if it doesn't happen anyway we have no way of knowing whether they would have or not. It's Schrodinger's cat all over again :laugh:

I actually see nothing wrong with it. It's a bargain, caring for their pets for only $135 for 6 months. And that amount doesn't only cover May 21, they cover the next 10 years. And Christians believe that Jesus will return at some point, not just US fundamentalists, it's a biblical principle. One day Jesus WILL return, they just don't know when (most Christians think the May 21 thing is ridiculous because the Bible says no one knows when Jesus will return, so it's a bit silly that some cult in Usa claims that the Bible reveals when it will happen). So for the tiny amount of money, their pets are covered in the event of Jesus' return for the next 10 years.

And Christians are not SCARED of Jesus returning, him returning is a good thing. If it happened Christians would be celebrating (before being raptured that is) and then they would know that their pets would be safe after they have gone. I assume that the atheists intend to keep their promise if it does happen, the reason they don't charge more is because they don't believe it will.

There is an Aussie version too; http://www.earthbound-pets.com.au/

I'm not. I cant stand scammers but if someone is downright dumb enough to buy into this crap then they deserve to be ripped off. A fool and his money and all that. This is better than Nigerian Scams (and they're christians, god bless you)

Are we there yet?

Supposed to be 6pm tonight but there is some confusion about which timezone that applies to :confused:

Something tells me the atheiests who signed up for petsitting duties will be laughing all the way to the bank :)

I actually see nothing wrong with it. It's a bargain, caring for their pets for only $135 for 6 months.

It is not a bargain when they are taking money from people when they know they will not have to provide any service.

I stand by what I said in the first place- disgusting behaviour from people who should know better :mad

Wishing bad things on people just because they aren't what we'd consider "good" people is totally backwards. I've said this time and again in news threads but people seem to completely miss the point- taking pleasure in the exploitation or harm of others is exactly the sort of thing people here get all fired up about (and then do/encourage themselves). The hypocrisy displayed is sometimes absolutely mind-blowing.

I keep forgetting why I tend to stay out of this section of the forum.. :rolleyes:

You're normally pretty scathing of dumb people, Hardy, which is why I like you. My attitude is this 1. The world is not going to end today. 2. If it does I'm going to have something more important on my mind than my animals...like maybe the windscreen of my car. And 3. How on earth did this shit manage to pollute the front page of the SMH. I'm bloody horrified that this crap attracted the media, and more importantly, really really dumb people who paid money because they were convinced it was true :eek:

I expected to take my pets with me ... they should be entitled to a place in heaven as much as any human. ;)

x2 :thumbsup: How could it possibly be heaven without animals. Doesn't make sense to me :confused: Animals are incapable of 'sin against god' so why would they be left behind?

I hope the atheists are moral athiests and are willing to give a hand to the poor fools who have zero'ed out their assets in expectation of a rapture that didn't happen. Or at least offer a had to their pets. There are going to be a few families out there who have lost everything, including hope/faith, and are going to have to carry on, and may have both a great need for the unconditional love that dogs give, and a lack or resources to pay for dog food and pet care.

Atheists range from nihilists to people that say that all that matters is morality . . . so one needs to look behind the label.