Townhouse Suited Dogs?

Molly:)

Hi fellow dog lovers,

My partner and I own our own townhouse and I would love to get another dog, as a playmate to my partners 7 year old Maltese Terrier. I grew up with Border Collies and LOVE them to bits!! However I realise that a Border Collie may not be appropriate for my current living arrangements and would like some advice in choosing another breed of dog.

My townhouse is large in size, at the back of the complex, with approximately 120 sqms of backyard. It has a grassed area. They will sleep inside, and be outside while we are both at work, with access to our double garage as well.

We both leave for work at 8am and home by 5pm. My partner regularly comes home from work for lunch where he can play with them. The dog will be walked daily, and sometimes taken jogging. We live near a park and a 15 min walk to an off-leash beach where I want to take them regularly.

I however don't really like small breed dogs, favoring something a little larger, preferably with a long coat.

I realise that all dogs are prone to barking if not mentally stimulated but I would like a dog that isn't known to be a "barker", so I don't annoy the neighbours.

The type of dogs I love are Border Collies, Rough Collies, Golden Retrievers, English Cocker Spaniels, Samoyed's, Old English Sheepdogs and Shetland Sheepdogs. I recently met a beautiful Scottish Terrier that has made me consider them also.

Are any of these breeds appropriate to my lifestyle or has anyone got any other suggestions?

I have found some of the breeds you have mentioned to be particularly vocal - Rough Collies, Samoyeds and some Shelties. If you are going to mix the sizes you really need a bullet proof second dog that won't hurt the Maltese in any way.

I'd recommend that for anyone in a townhouse situation that they get a dog from someone who knows the dog very well and whether or not it woudl suit the townhouse environment. This could be a breeder or a foster carer.

Also, sometimes when you get a second dog it can set the other one off that was previously quiet. There's a bit to think about so that you get just the right dog.

Some of your choices are working breeds and I wouldn't normally recommend a working breed for a townhouse situation. My friend has Bearded Collies and they are great dogs but love to tear around and bark.

Edited by dogmad

Hi i have a question how much exercise are you willing to give? I own a golden retriever and she requires a min of 40 minutes exercise,Normally she gets about 80 minutes sometimes more sometimes less. Shelleys exercise is mainly offlead at the oval with runing,jumping over things,jumping up to 2 platforms then down the slide. Also on nice weather she goes swimming. Just a warning golden retrievers love water so take it down the beach he/she would love it. My Shelley actually puts her whole body head and all under the water. Also how much shedding/grooming do you want to do? I brush my Shelley every couple of days cause i love that clean coat plus it counts down the shedding. Also goldens love jogging actually there up for anything as long as it involves there owner.

It really depends - Border Collies can do fine in a small area, provided they are kept mentally stimulated and exercised - and breeds like the Border get more out of mental stimulation than just basic running around. Some lines also have less drive than others; and even a laid-back individual in a litter may suit. I wouldn't take a border out of the equation completely yet.

MM I said similar in a PM re BCs. I know its not completely unheard of in the US for example to have BCs living in apartments. It just depends on what you are prepared to do with them and how much mental stimulation you are able to provide. As you say there are certainly lines with more drive then others. Some are total nutcases but some are much more happy to chill providing they get adequate exercise.

Not all BCs are known for being self-exercising and just running non-stop. Some do but lots also seem to prefer to be doing something with there owners. We have a yard and unless I am out there with them neither of my two actually venture out much during the day, more often then not they are both snoozing somewhere inside the house. Just depends on the particular dog I guess.

I'm in a unit with a 12.5yr old BC and an 18mo BC. So the oldie doesn't really count in terms of being a normal BC anymore (except in her spectacularly beautiful BC looks and the personality that shines through every so often!!). But the young one loves her exercise and certainly is not a chill out dog. But I guess my yard is a little larger than most units/townhouses so she does have a bit of space. But I thought long and hard before getting her knowing that doing so with a yard this size meant that I had to make a committment to a greater level of brain work and exercise time each day. As a result we do obedience training classes once a week and agility classes once or twice a week; she also gets at least 30 min total training most evenings, a 15-20 min walk each morning and anywhere between 30 min to 1.5 hrs walking each night. If I know I'm working late and won't be able to do that I try to send her to a friends where I know she will get to play all day.

I would definitely say don't rule out a BC, but weigh up if you can offer the dog what it needs (which goes for any breed of dog not just a BC, obviously!).

If you like the working dog personality and type, but would prefer something a little smaller, have you looked at one of the Corgi Breeds? I have a Welsh Corgi (Cardigan) which are a little bigger than the Pembrokes, come in a wider range of colours and have a more laid back temperament(the Pem's are friendlier to strangers, by contrast).

I don't often recommend my favourite breed, but if you are prepared for the requirements of a working dog, and remember that for all their short legs, this is still a breed capable of herding cattle all day, they are a wonderful breed to have around! They're strictly a medium sized dog with short legs. My Shandy came to us as an ex show dog, and I was looking for a dog sport prospect. She's never been any trouble, but we train and compete in obedience, and dabble in Dances with Dogs, and agility sometimes. She has a very deep bark, but is not a 'barker' although apparently some corgis can be nuisances if not kept entertained. Come and visit us in the Corgi breed thread if you'd like to discuss either breed more.

Whatever breed you go for, may I suggest getting an adult dog? That way it's a known quantity. I have Australian Shepherds, they are supposed to be an active breed that requires space (and mine do have plenty of space) but one of mine would be quite happy in a townhouse with a small back yard, she wouldn't be very vocal outside as long as she got plenty of attention at other times. I would never have known this when she was a puppy but it became very apparent as she was growing up. She is not active, she isn't noisy, she 's happy to snooze the day away as long as she's within an inch of me when I get home, and is allowed to have her nose and paws into whatever I'm doing.

I however don't really like small breed dogs, favoring something a little larger, preferably with a long coat.

Can I suggest that you shift from a focus on size to other characteristics.

I can think of a very intelligent, quite high drive dog that would give many a Border Collie a run for its money and that is a Toy Breed - the Papillon. On the other hand, some of the breeds you mention are nothing like Border Collies and the Scottish Terrier IS a small breed. So is the Shetland Sheepdog.

Why don't you describe the sort of personality you're looking for in a dog - the ones you've mentioned vary widely in that regard.

I can think of a few Cocker Spaniels who'd be among the most vocal dogs I know.

Edited by poodlefan

Shelties are a vocal breed but most live happily in town without too much issue, training is the key in most cases. It would really depend how the section is situated. If there are people constantly walking the fence line this could be more of an issue as a sheltie will bark at strangers. They would also be more suited to a dog door inside as that helps to minimise barking. The section size wouldn't be an issue as long as the dog was adequately exercised. They are a working breed and are extremely quick and easy to train.

Hi,

If you are living in a town house situation why not look in the Toy group for dogs

suitable to live with a Maltese.

Some of the dogs suitable would Tibetan Spaniel,Papillon, King Charles Spaniel, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

just to name a few.

What Cowanbree said about Shelties is true for collies too. Collies aren't always barkers I've had several from one family who were very quiet, but most are very good watch dogs and will warning bark. Inside is good they tend to be quieter and an adult is easier than a puppy in your situtation too. They are lovely dogs but need grooming and training to keep them happy. They're easy to train but inquistive and they're generally very good with little dogs.

My girl is a house dog she gets two walks a day and some training and is very good. She'd be fine with the same system in a town house.

My 3 border collies pretty much spend all day under the house veranda. They are hardly ever running around their acre garden. The youngest one might struggle in a townhouse, the oldest would be fine and I think the middle one would be ok as well. The 2 girls are pretty small too, not a heap bigger than a sheltie.

I would suggest 2 walks a day though and training.

If you're interested in Samoyeds have you had a look at Finnish Lapphunds.

They're a smaller breed, but not a small breed.

I know of a few that are owned by people in town house type set ups.

If you research your lines a bit you should be able to find one with a more relaxed personality.

That's not to say it doesn't need excercise, but there are some dogs better suited to your set up and a breeder would be able to help you pick one.

Paps are really great dogs too. If you're after a companion for your maltese it might be safer to have them the same size. Some of the breeds you mentioned could do a lot of damage to a maltese without meaning to.

If you're interested in Samoyeds have you had a look at Finnish Lapphunds.

They're a smaller breed, but not a small breed.

I know of a few that are owned by people in town house type set ups.

If you research your lines a bit you should be able to find one with a more relaxed personality.

That's not to say it doesn't need excercise, but there are some dogs better suited to your set up and a breeder would be able to help you pick one.

Paps are really great dogs too. If you're after a companion for your maltese it might be safer to have them the same size. Some of the breeds you mentioned could do a lot of damage to a maltese without meaning to.

You would have to be careful with the barking with a Lappie.