Gsd Breeder Recommendations

jacqui835

I have already posted this in the GSD breed threads, but since this is the most viewed part of the forums, I thought that there might be somewhere here who has some advice.

I was wondering though whether perhaps anyone had any advice. My partner and I would like to add a Gsd to our family, and we have been asking around and meeting a few breeders, but really want to make sure we make the right choice.

We are looking for a traditional Gsd - one with a straight back, highish drive to be similar to our existing dog, and athletic so that eventually happy to come on our long bike rides. A breeder that focuses on intelligence, confidence and stability would be ideal - as that's how I would describe our dobe breeder. We live in sa but interstate is not a problem, we just want the right dog.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not try the breeder you bought your other dog from !! That is where I would start if you want a dog with the same conformation and drives.

I think the other dog is a dobe :confused:

The part where the OP says "similar to our existing dog" is referring to the drive.

Why not try the breeder you bought your other dog from !! That is where I would start if you want a dog with the same conformation and drives.

I think the other dog is a dobe :confused:

The part where the OP says "similar to our existing dog" is referring to the drive.

Thanks, that's exactly right. We are looking for a shepherd this time, and unfortunately, our other breeder only has dobermans and a small toy breed (I think yorkies or something).

And yes, we want one with a straight, level back - old style german shepherd. I am looking into breeders myself, but was hoping that perhaps someone had had some good experiences with a couple or something along those lines...

I recommend www.macklinshepherds.com. I sent them an email a few months ago gushing about how I love that they're keeping the traditional look of their German Shepherds and they just very lovely to converse with. If I ever get a German Shepherd, it will be a Macklin. :thumbsup: Their dogs are gorgeous.

Makes for interesting reading

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

MAJOR FAULTS

* Any deviations from the above described breed characteristics that impair the working ability of the dog.

* Ear Faults: Laterally too low set ears, tipped ears, inward tilted ears, ears that are not firm.

* Severe lack of pigmentation.

* Severe lack in overall firmness.

DENTITION FAULTS

* All deviations from a scissor bite and the dentition formula as far as it does not concern disqualifying faults (see below)

DISQUALIFYING FAULTS

a) Weak character, aggression without provocation or nervousness.

b) Dogs with proven severe Hip Dysplasia.

c) Monorchids and cryptorchids, as well as dogs with clearly uneven or atrophied (stunted) testicles.

d) Disfiguring ear or tail defects.

e) Dogs with deformities.

f) Dogs with missing teeth as follows:-

1 Pre-Molar 3, and one further tooth, or

1 Canine, or

1 Pre-Molar 4, or

1 Molar 1, or

1 Molar 2, or

3 or more teeth altogether.

g) Dogs with jaw defects: - Overshot 2mm or more.

Undershot.

Level bite in whole of the incisor area.

h) Dogs that are more than 1cm over or under size.

i) Albinism.

j) White coat colour (even with dark eyes and nails).

k) Long double coat (Long Stockhaar): Long, soft, topcoat not lying closely, with undercoat, feathering on ears and legs, bushy breeches and bushy tail forming flags below.

l) Longcoat: Long, soft top coat without undercoat, usually with a parting down the middle of the back, flags on ears and legs and tail.

I'd be looking at working lines if you don't want anything with an excessive slope, I know not all show GSDs have them, but I see some that make me go :eek:

But I like a dog that looks like it could work, so I'm biased that way. I'm not a fan of those massive flat backed GSDs either, though.

Look at working line GSDs- they tend to be more straight backed and high drive.

I also prefer the look look of the "old style", staight backed GSD. I believe there are a few threads on wokring line GSDs here already- perhaps you could do a search of them.

I think Kavik has a WL GSD with a lovely straight back and very handsome too! Perhaps PM her?

(Hope Kavik doesn't mind...)

I recommend www.macklinshepherds.com. I sent them an email a few months ago gushing about how I love that they're keeping the traditional look of their German Shepherds and they just very lovely to converse with. If I ever get a German Shepherd, it will be a Macklin. :thumbsup: Their dogs are gorgeous.

Bear is from Macklin, can highly recommend them

Bear is from Macklin, can highly recommend them

Definitely going to contact. Do you have any photos of Bear that we can see :D

Here is a video that shows the change in the GSD over the last 50 years or so, both in Germany and in the US/Europe/UK.

http://wn.com/History_of_the_change_in_the_german_shepherd_over_the_years

It might help you define in your own mind what it is you want to avoid and what you want to find.

For example it shows the roached back that looks like the dog had a spinal injury. Hips that are about half the height off the ground that any normal dogs hips would be. Hocks that wobble,look loose and often are so dropped they are touching the ground. almost uncontrollable looking gait and the impression the dogs is about to fall down or loose it balance.

Good video which shows the extreme appearence and locomotion found in the show dogs, that you may want to avoid in a dog that is to have an active life and be a companion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_z3fgk9bQw&feature=player_embedded

Thanks aussielover :)

I would try breeders of working line GSD for what you are looking for. There are quite a few around. My fellow unfortunately has some health issues (allergies/skin problems) but there are some lovely ones out there - I met one yesterday, a gorgeous sable - even asked what kennel it came from for future reference :laugh: turns out it was a police dog.

It is interesting to look at the breed standard, then look at some of the top winning dogs. Clearly a lot of the judges take no notice of the standard they are supposed to be judging to.

Under body it states:

"The topline flows from the set on of the neck, over the high long withers and over the straight back to the slightly sloping croup without a noticeable break. The back is moderately long, firm, strong and well muscled. The loin is broad, short, strongly developed and well muscled. The croup should be long and slightly sloping (approximately 23 degrees to the horizontal) into the set on of the tail without disruption to the topline."