What Are The Hallmarks...

I recommended Caroline Coile's "Show Me" here yesterday so I picked it up again last night just to double check it was as useful as I remembered.

There were some very useful things. One page 81 she has a handy list of "things that irritate judges". Towards the end of the book she says some really sensible things about good sportsmanship and sports psychology.

However, rather than quote big chunks out of the book, what do you think are the hallmarks of a good exhibitor?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) I love to see people stop and give thier dog a pat/reward before they leave the ring regardless of thier placing.

It would also be good sportsmanship if we can get through this thread without people starting to list what makes a bad exhibitor ;)

Good sportsmanship is a big one :)

How do you know someone is a good sport?

They are polite to judges and stewards, and considerate of other exhibitors.

They are gracious in both victory and defeat.

:) I love to see people stop and give thier dog a pat/reward before they leave the ring regardless of thier placing.

I usually do this. Though at the last show when my boy did win, I received the ribbon from the judge and proceeded to step on my boy's foot. :o

Whoops, sorry!

I agree with gracious in both victory and defeat. I know some exhibitors that are genuinely happy for your win, even if you beat their dog & they are just a shining beacon. I have all the time in the world for them :)

I usually do this. Though at the last show when my boy did win, I received the ribbon from the judge and proceeded to step on my boy's foot. :o

Whoops, sorry!

I once won a Best In Group and when the judge gave me my prize which was a fairly sizeable bag of dog food that I promptly dropped on my boys head! He then went and hid behind the judge :rofl:

Is ringside for their call, gets in and out promptly and doesn't have judge, steward and other exhbitors cooling their heels while they wait for them. (this drives me nuts as do those who want to have a chat to the judge during judging or after it in the ring)

Shows each dog to advantage.. not a "one size fits all handler".

Dresses to show pride in their dog and respect for the judge.

Grooms their dog in the same fashion.

Is courteous to other exhibitors, win lose or draw.

Doesn't indulge in dirty handling, malicious rumour spreading or bagging of the judge (at least not until in the car on the way home ;))

I'd still like to know what irritates judges. Might have to borrow the book SSM.

Edited by poodlefan

Guest CaptainCourageous

They work with a loose lead.

They know how to correct their dog or start again without wrecking their chances.

They talk to the judge only when spoken to.

They don't drop food in the ring.

Their dogs are comfortable being handled by any handler and are not nervous of the judge.

They know where to be in the ring.

When they don't win they say congratulations to the winner and are genuine about it.

They lend their dogs to junior handlers for competitions.

They let the steward know they are present about fifteen minutes before they expect to be on, picking a moment when a large class is in the ring to do so.

They turn up for their call.

They don't practice in a live ring.

They don't refuse sashes or give them back to the steward, but may put them back in the sash box later on.

They have people holding their exhibits outside the ring so swapovers between classes are easy.

Their entries are on time, legible and accurate.

They check the catalogue against their entries before the show starts and attend to any discrepancies early.

They have their dogs well prepared.

They are fun to talk to and mix with outside the ring.

They know if they don't win on the day it doesn't matter because they might win tomorrow.

They encourage people to come along to watch them.

They know a show is a fun picnic where things are done with dogs.

They put their results on facebook, the DoL pointscore and OzShow within three hours of arriving home.

(Wait, just seeing if you're still awake with that one).

They love their dogs, their family and all the people they met on the day of the show.

They have respect for what a dog show is about.

What CC said. :)

plus when they win they thank the Judge and notice if the Judge is wanting to shake their hand or give them a ribbon/sash etc.

:rofl: my first big win was a baby in group at an open show. When the judge picked me i think the smilw didn't stop spreading i was speechless and bent to give my girl her treat and a big cuddle looked up to see the judge with a ribbon patiently waiting to shake hands. I did apologise but I think she realised it was my first win lol she was a great judge :)

Love what CC said. though i don't go up fifteen minutes before. i have a bitch so am ready before the males go in and am standing ready and waiting and pay attention to class, I then say to steward ... is here and i have ... if i am taking multiple dogs in so they can be marked. I try always have someone have the dogs ready to swap over :)

I'm guilty of keeping the judge waiting. At my 3rd show a fellow competitor got challenge dog and bitch. Asked if I could handle one in BOB. I got so caught up in that I forgot to get my BP bitch ready for baby of breed. :o

:cry: only time she has been beaten by a boy! Hmmmm wonder if I pissed the judge off! lol

Being flustered is not good. :eek:

I'd still like to know what irritates judges. Might have to borrow the book SSM.

No probs. It's not rocket science but I guess authors write it down because people do it! The list includes:

- Being late for your class

- not following directions

- not paying attention

- feeding bait immediately before the judge examines the mouth

- asking the judge hours later why your dog didn't win

- trying to influence a judge with comments about the dog's winning record

- being rough with a dog

- showing a dirty dog.

Saying congratulations to the winners.

thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

what NOT to do...........have a absolute hissy fit when the judge refuses challange with several dogs in the lineup, the judge's opinion on the day being she believed the dogs were unsound, cow hocked etc.

Then refuses to present animals for the class runoffs.

Then procceeds to bag out the BOB winner, forgetting that tents are not soundproof and BOB handler was standing in the next tent confused.gif

Saying congratulations to the winners.

thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

what NOT to do...........have a absolute hissy fit when the judge refuses challange with several dogs in the lineup, the judge's opinion on the day being she believed the dogs were unsound, cow hocked etc.

Then refuses to present animals for the class runoffs.

Then procceeds to bag out the BOB winner, forgetting that tents are not soundproof and BOB handler was standing in the next tent confused.gif

Oh wow, you're describing exactly what happened in SA this weekend. :laugh: