Lassie To The Rescue- My True Story

As most of you know I have Rough Collies.

Well today my homebred girl Ch Boldfolk Amazing Grace saved an elderly neighbour's life.

At approximately 8.05am this morning "Gracie" was scratching at my front door and doing a "distress bark"(she has only ever done this once before, Christmas Day 2008 when my late Dad, Bill, was too ill to get out of the bed).

I opened the front blinds and door to see what was distressing her only to find that my 80 year old neighbour flat on the ground about 2 doors down from me.

I put Gracie back inside and went to my neighbours aid. He was semi-conscious and bleeding(he mobilises using a 4 wheel walker and also had bilateral hip replacements and also has a pacemaker and defribillator). I called 000 and beckoned 2 of the other residents to get some blankets etc to cover him until the Paramedics arrived.

About 25 minutes later the Paramedics did arrive and my neighbour was taken to the nearest Hospital Emergency Department.

My neighbour had suffered a Heart Attack and as he lost conscious he fell. He has been transferred to another hospital but has told my other neighbour( who assists in his care) that "Colleen's dog saved my life you know!".

Had my "Gracie" not scratched at my door and said her Distress Bark nobody would have found my neighbour as he was well away from his Unit putting his rubbish in the dumpster and most of my other neighbours had either gone to work or were still in bed..

"Gracie" has been named "The Hero Dog" by the other residents and they now know that if she is barking in that manner that someone is in need of Urgent assistance( and that she is not "nuisance barking").

I am one very proud owner of my true Lassie aka "Gracie".

Colleen

Well, done Gracie. You did indeed save a life. And you should receive recognition for Lassie to the Rescue work! :thumbsup:

IR, you're so right about the 'distress' bark that dogs use to alert to life-threatening danger.

Wow thats fantastic, hope your neighbour makes a full recovery. I think Gracie deserves an extra special treat for being such a good girl! Well done to you both. So nice to hear a good news story for a change.

Oh wow Gracie ... Clever girl .. I shed a tear as my late Jordi was a rough collie , special dogs.

How proud you must be of Gracie ... Big treats for her . I hope your neighbour recovers well and I am sure Gracie will be a welcome visitor to him

I am hoping that over the weekend the Hospital will allow me to take Gracie in to see our neighbour and if they do the camera will be coming that is for sure.

DogsVic have already sought my permission to publish the article on the Website and in the Gazette and I have given permission.

Thanks GayleK- yes Dad would have been very proud too :D

DogsVic have already sought my permission to publish the article on the Website and in the Gazette and I have given permission.

DogsNSW used to have a canine hero award. Tibbie, Angel, was nominated when she alerted people, via the special distress bark, that a lost toddler was standing in the middle of a busy street outside her home.

I wonder if this DogsNSW award still exists? And if so, if it accepts out of state dogs as they did with the Qld, Angel?

Onya for taking the camera to the hospital. Like Winterpaws suggested....how about alerting the local newspaper, too?

Edited by mita