Friend Is Determined On Getting A Puppy That Is For Free

haylz27

why must getting a free dog be bad, there is no certainty that is wont be vacc and microchipped.

I was in a friend's pet shop about year ago when a couple brought in two gsd x pups. one had a hernia and friend wouldn't take it. owner was like well i aint taking it home. i took it for free. it had its first vaccination. my friend got it microchipped by the pet shop vet. i then got it vet checked and rehomed it for free to a lovely family. i did advertise him for $200 though so as not to get every tom dick and harry call up, but a free dog doesn't always mean unvaccinated, unmicrochipped and unehalthy.

I've heard good and bad stories of going down such a path.

Have had one family take home a chihauhau for free, from a tax driver (yeh didn't know them but randomly told them while picking them up for a fare) whose dog had a litter by accident and its been their love and joy for almost 10 years so far. They hardly take it to the vet, but that's not to say they're bad owners since the dog doesn't leave the huge backyard.

Then I've know someone else who saw cattle dogs going for $20 and chose the first pup that came to him. Took it to the vet who listed a mutitude of issues like blindness (which came true) and arthiritis. Heartbreaking. :(

Its really a matter of chance, imo.

One of my dogs (Elbie) was free to a good home. We weren't trying to save money by getting a freebie - we knew that dogs cost money and we'd spend heaps after we got him and drove an hour to Goulburn to get him ... He's been fine and he's very healthy and smart. Knowing what I know now, I'd always recommend that people go to an ethical and reputable breeder - if we ever wanted another dog, we'd be going back to Hoover's breeder. That being said, it's not the case that free dog = bad dog / unhealthy dog.

It can be a bit of a lucky dip when it comes to getting a young pup cheap or free.Many years ago in my teens I got a bull terrier pup very cheap. When i got her home she had the runs very bad so took her to the vet.It turned out some weeks later that she had distemper and started having fits etc and had to be put to sleep.At least if she wants a young pup make sure it has all its vaccinations and vet exam.Before you take it.

Edited by budgiew

I have rehomed two pups and one adult dog for free. Spayed, vaccinated, all to wonderful homes. Am I bad for doing that? Am I a back yard breeder? Actually I thought we all were back yard breeders, unless someone breeds in the front yard.

Am so over the backyard breeder thing. Either it is reputable or dodgy breeder.

Rehoming dogs for free does happen people. I wish everyone wouldnt attach a BYB label all the time.

No matter where you get an animal ;free; cheap ;or whatever;Just make sure it is healthy before you take it on.No one can predict how long a dog will live for or if it will get ill down the track;But some caution and knowledge can save heartache down the track.

I have rehomed two pups and one adult dog for free. Spayed, vaccinated, all to wonderful homes. Am I bad for doing that? Am I a back yard breeder? Actually I thought we all were back yard breeders, unless someone breeds in the front yard.

Am so over the backyard breeder thing. Either it is reputable or dodgy breeder.

Rehoming dogs for free does happen people. I wish everyone wouldnt attach a BYB label all the time.

sorry the bolded part made me laugh :rofl: but the puppy mum got for free was a mistake litter and it was mums friends male dog got into the yard of a purebred female cattle dog and well yeah she got pregnant.... The owner told my mums friend she has to find homes for half the litter and mum took one. She turned out to be a great dog until she got a paralysis tick at the age of 7yrs and we lost her :cry:

Sometimes free dogs are a wonderful find ... esp. if they come from a situation such as a marriage breakup/family death, and folks just have to rehome the dog quickly ... I have seen lots of absolutely perfect dogs like this.

Caution is advised though, same as with getting any dog - always meet & greet first , check housing/health etc view any papers/certificates from vet..

We got a gorgeous adult purebred GSD for free from the papers when I was in school - she was a great family dog, guard dog and spent the day out in the orchard with my parents. She was PTS at 11 due to her hips going.

Our next dog was also a GSD who was free via my BIL - he was a big boy and was a police dog school drop out (due to the size of his feet!). He was PTS at 12 due to a stomach full of tumours.

Edited by Danois

I've heard good and bad stories of going down such a path.

Have had one family take home a chihauhau for free, from a tax driver (yeh didn't know them but randomly told them while picking them up for a fare) whose dog had a litter by accident and its been their love and joy for almost 10 years so far. They hardly take it to the vet, but that's not to say they're bad owners since the dog doesn't leave the huge backyard.

Then I've know someone else who saw cattle dogs going for $20 and chose the first pup that came to him. Took it to the vet who listed a mutitude of issues like blindness (which came true) and arthiritis. Heartbreaking. :(

Its really a matter of chance, imo.

i have to say that THIS is a good argument for your friend looking to take on a rescue :)

I know of someone who bought a $50 GSD pup. Turned out to be a nice dog, also turned out not to be a GSD :laugh: .

:laugh:

I've just found an ad for a 7 mth old male GSD, free to good home with all work done. Let me know if you want me to point you to the DOL member that is helping.

THIS!!!

Sometimes free dogs are great dogs. As long as she knows she needs to ensure she covers all of the things needed such as vaccinations and chips and considers what the parents temp is like and what size its expected to grow and she fits that with what will suit her I cant see a big deal in it. Why on earth would the dogs being dumped on rescue first be better, The people who have the dog are taking responsiblity for finding it a new home. Its the same dog if it goes into rescue first.

Just because you are taking a freebie doesnt make you a moron - just make sure you are not just taking it because its free any more than you would take it just because its in rescue or from a registered breeder. Hard to win really if you have an accidental litter and you dump it you're a mongrel, if you have an accidental litter and you sell it you are breeding for money, if you have an accidental litter and give it away you're in the poo too. The dog is here and alive and needs a home. If someone can give it one and love it - thats a good thing - isnt it?

Edited by Steve

If her dad won't pay for a GSD for her, will he pay for medical care if the dog needs it, and all the other expenses that come with owning a dog? Nothing wrong with free dogs. But the initial cost of purchasing a dog is probably one of the smaller costs associated with having a dog.

Our gorgeous Malamute girl was free. We weren't looking for a free dog, we just wanted a slightly older dog that would get along with our current one. We offered the person money and they wouldn't take it, they just wanted the dog to go to a good home.

I can understand your friend not being able to spend thousands buying a pure breed from a registered breeder and I'm sure there are plenty of nice rescue dogs out there that would be suitable.

She may need to alter her criteria slightly though and not be so set on a pure breed GSD or be prepared to wait a while.

I would be cautious about people offering free puppies though.

Lastly as others have mentioned, does she have plans in place for food, vet care and boarding etc if she is so reliant on her parents? Also, what about when she moves out of home, does she plan to take the dog, is she planning on doing any extensive travel etc?

I must admit teenagers getting dogs make me nervous as I'm not sure all of them grasp the concept of a 15 year commitment.