Are Raw Chicken Drumsticks Ok?

Guest RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

Rosie normally has raw chicken wings for dinner, and sometimes a frame or necks.. but they had sold out of wings, necks and frames at shops so i have bought her a couple of drumsticks instead. I only bought 2 in case she couldn't have them LOL.

I ASSUME they would be ok? Do they just eat around the leg bone or is it munched up too?

thanks in advance! she is due for dinner now...

Guest RosieFT

Thanks for replying. She ate them all up and it took her longer than the wings do for her to consume. Might have to give her a wing and a leg instead of her two wings! :-)

Sometimes you can get Turkey necks at a reasonable price. They make good eating too.

I do prefer to feed chicken necks rather then wings because of the fat issue. They do need some fat - but not THAT much. :laugh:

The legs would be good for the teeth. :)

Sometimes you can get Turkey necks at a reasonable price. They make good eating too.

I do prefer to feed chicken necks rather then wings because of the fat issue. They do need some fat - but not THAT much. :laugh:

The legs would be good for the teeth. :)

When we got Shae, our 5yo rescue, her teeth were terrible......very discoloured and thick with tartar build-up. Her breath wasn't the nicest either, but she didn't appear to have any decay. I think she'd probably only ever been fed kibble and/or tinned food. I started to give her chicken legs and other raw meaty bones, plus Black Hawk kibble and within a month, I could really notice the difference in her teeth. She's now been here 4 1/2 months and still on the same diet and her teeth are sparkling white and her breath is clean and sweet. No vets, no teeth cleaning under anaesthetic, just a top quality diet and plenty of bones to gnaw on.

I was telling my vet about the difference the bones had made and she said she often recommends a change to raw meaty bones to people who are presenting their dogs to have their teeth cleaned. Much nicer for the dogs, much better for their health and it works!

When you are feeding wings, necks - turkey or chicken there is always the risk, however mild, of the dog choking on them.

I feed mine necks as they prefer them to wings and I have had a few incidents which were a bit scarey but the dogs love them and the risk is small.

Also the general rule when feeding bones to dogs is that they are OK as long as they aren't weight supporting bones eg. leg bones. I don't know if that applies to chickens and turkeys as well.

Does anyone have a view on turkey wings? I bought some on special today. I know they're fatty but our two are very lean so a bit of fat now and then is probably fine. Just want to know if it's generally safe?

I give my BC girl turkey wings....I don't find them fatty. She crunches them up. The puppy picks all the meat off his & leaves most of the bone, which I throw away. They also get Turkey necks.

Any advice what bones might be suitable for a 13 week old Boston terrier puppy? I tried him with a chicken neck but he tried to swallow it whole, he managed to get 3/4 down his throat before I could get it away from him...

Any advice what bones might be suitable for a 13 week old Boston terrier puppy? I tried him with a chicken neck but he tried to swallow it whole, he managed to get 3/4 down his throat before I could get it away from him...

I have this problem with two of our dogs that when puppies would scoff down chicken necks whole - very scary :scared: We fixed this by holding onto the neck until they learnt to chew properly. Normally got the hang after a few goes.

Thanks for the advice everyone :D

I might try lamb necks and hold onto it so he learns to chew it properly, not try to swallow it.

Lamb necks are big and hard to get through so I don't think he'll try and swallow it. My dog is really greedy and gulps everything down but he takes a good half hour with a lamb neck. Where I get them they slice them down the middle.

My dog's vet recommended we give her raw chicken wings, but I'm worried about the parasites, and my dog doesn't have top digestion. She seems to be prone to diarrhea when she has rice soaked in chicken stock (the no added salt type)as her vet also recommended, so we're a but relunctant to let her try raw chicken wings. And also, she only has 4 teeth left, which is why the vet said raw chicken wings in the first place, to help maintain her teeth condition and redue tartare since her teeth don't rub together and self clean like a dog who has all teeth does when he/she eats biscuits. Anyone have an opinion on whether it's safe or not?