The Pitfalls Of Having Smart Dogs.

Ker

Miss Kari (foster) is very smart. She's worked out how to open the laundry door and lets all the dogs in. Unfortunately, the dogs play up when they are running around the house with no one home - hence the locked in the laundry. So when I came home yesterday and heard them barking at the front door, my heart sank.

I walked in...to MAYHEM. There was stuff everywhere. One of the buggers (I suspect the innocent looking lappie) had pulled the bin apart and CHEWED it. The lid is buggered. I yelled at the dogs, put them out and cleaned up the mess.

Last night, I go to bed. Pull back the quilt. There are three oranges in my bed. Complete oranges. I'm like "WTF?" My first thought was that the kids were being funny. I inspect the oranges and yeah, they are complete all right - with TEETH MARKS!

I don't know which dog thought I might like a midnight snack of oranges...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, what a mess it must have been! I can see the funny side, oranges in your bed sound hilariously random :D

Having a wily dog myself, I have to be careful what to teach her - she's figured out how to shoulder doors closed, but not open them. Yet. So I often have to rescue her from the laundry and toilet. It's tempting to teach her how to open doors, to let herself out, but I know I'll regret it!

My kelpie managed to cheat his tug-a-jug - don't you know the easiet way to get the treats out is to chew through the rope? :laugh:

Kari sounds like a bit of a terror! I imagine the oranges in your bed was quite the icing on the cake. :) Perhaps she was trying to make you breakfast in bed.

Funny thing is, the oranges were in the fruit bowl on the kitchen bench. With the apples. The apples are untouched. I hate apples, so maybe the dogs KNOW that and got me the oranges instead.

Yes, the lappie has managed to lock herself in the toilet many times. I went out to the toilet last night and thought an alien must have snuck in it. From the outside of the door I could hear "*snort* *Snort* Arr-ooo, oh oh oh". Yep, it was Snik. I suspect she is a "special" dog. A no brains kinda special. She's lucky I love her anyhow.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a very smart coolie so I can relate to that. His first smartness was to make me fall in love with him so I would keep him when he was supposed to be a foster dog.

I have to give him the red bowl with his food in it because it's his bowl and he knows it is naughty to eat out of the other dogs bowls. Trouble is that sometimes I absently minded give Tilly the red bowl and flash the purple bowl, Flash then won't eat but Tily has finished the contents of the red bowl - she just sees food :laugh:

I was really sick one day and in bed and he brought me in my childhood teddy. That was really odd, because the teddy is put up high in the wallunit, they have never been allowed to play with it although there are various dog "teddies" around the place he bought this teddy specifically.

have to be constantly on your toes with smart dogs! but they are heaps of fun :laugh:

Oh I was plenty mad when I came home to the mess. By the time I went to bed, I was over it fully and after wondering why the hell oranges were in my bed, and working it out, I cracked up. It was hilarious.

We take the good with the bad. You don't get to have a genius dog without also having to deal with that genius 24/7. Erik is currently in the kitchen barking at the kitchen tidy and poking it furiously with his nose. Goodness knows what he thinks he's doing. He came to tell me loudly and I told him to go away. He's just come to tell all about it again. I take it he's bored. Which means everything in the house is imperilled and I probably won't get much work done until I give in and take him out for a run, play and training session. What the heck is he doing in there?? Obviously I should stop it before he tips the kitchen tidy over and learns how easy that was.

Oranges are better than open bottles of Coca Cola which have been stolen off the bench. I may or may not know this from experience.

Mine decided that the bottle of tomato sauce needed to be eaten on my bed.

My two are not the brightest stars in the sky!I busted Maddie yesterday with a bag of frozen chicken wings off the sink heading into my bed.MMmmm would have been nice tucked away between the flannenettes!Stan does bring me his food bowl when the Bold and the Beautiful starts does that count as smart :laugh:

Friend on a US breed board was chuckling over her smart pug. Friend doesn't get to sit down on the couch often, but when it's DVD movie time she does and that is lap snuggling time. Normally pug sits on her lap and rat terrier snuggles next to her hubby.

So the other day she sits down to watch a movie and the rat terrier jumps up and settles on her lap. Pug is disgruntled, room is made for her too, but nope, she won't come.

Pug finds a tennis ball, takes it to the top of the recliner next to the couch and drops it so that it rolls past the couch. Rat terrier, who is ball obessed, jumps off lap and races after it.

Quick as a flash, the Pug is on my friends lap, snug and very smug!

That last one re the ball reminds me of when we first got our new BC pup. Kenz (the pup) was totally obsessed with squeakie toys. Ness the older girl is a total foodie. Well I had given them both breakfast and Ness of course polished hers off in quick succession whereas Kenz was still going. Ness then proceeded to disappear and return with one of Kenz's squeakie toys whereby she stood there squeaking it. Kenz went oh Ness you have my toy, dropped her bone and then Ness went over and picked up Kenz's bone while Kenz was preoccupied with the squeakie :rofl:.