Green Tripe

Pam was staying with some Deerhound friends in UK a while ago, there you can buy green tripe in 1 Kg frozen blocks, very handy and the dogs LOVE it. Can we get it here in Australia ?

We live in the Eastern suburbs ( Belgrave ) of Melbourne.

Thanks in advance

Dave

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the green tripe toxic to humans or something?

no but it stinks something shocking. Green tripe is the cows stomach - just washed in plain water, the dogs love it but I would say many owners would be put off by the smell alone :laugh:

It is against Primesafe regulations for an abbatoir to sell it to the public in Victoria. I can't speak for any other state. You may be able to get it from a Knackery but I can't see the Knackey staff being too willing to seperate it out from the rest of the intestines and empty it of its contents.

HOWEVER... if you can build a relationship with someone that butchers their own cows, there is now reason why they can't give it to you.

I have a very good friend who butchers her own cows - even she won't give it up !! :laugh:

HOWEVER... if you can build a relationship with someone that butchers their own cows, there is now reason why they can't give it to you.

I have a very good friend who butchers her own cows - even she won't give it up !! :laugh:

Hey that stuffs worth more than gold :laugh:

• 7 months later...

I found a place to buy green tripe! I have some in my freezer now, and the dogs have all had a serve today. I will be interested to see if there is any improvement to their health.

The shop is in a northern suburb of Melbourne - this thread has put me off broadcasting its name, even though the owner said to tell people they've got it. So PM me if you want details! It cost $9.35/kg and will be frozen by now (I got it raw - it's not as gross as I was expecting, but is still not pleasant).

EDIT: The pet supply shop I was getting tripe from has now closed. As others have said, tripe is available in the K9 Naturals range, and I think I have seen it in Vets All Natural packaged food. I'm not sure if it's green tripe in the VAN though.

Edited by cazxxz

Oh I didn't think you could get it in SA, I had always been told it was illegal to sell unbleached. How much does it cost?

I thought it was illegal to sell it unbleached and it's not worth buying if it is bleached because it has lost it's goodness...may be wrong though!!!

• 1 year later...

I found a place to buy green tripe! I have some in my freezer now, and the dogs have all had a serve today. I will be interested to see if there is any improvement to their health.

The shop is in a northern suburb of Melbourne - this thread has put me off broadcasting its name, even though the owner said to tell people they've got it. So PM me if you want details! It cost $9.35/kg and will be frozen by now (I got it raw - it's not as gross as I was expecting, but is still not pleasant).

Not sure how to pm you but am interested in location of shop!!