Raw Barf Food.

Just wanted to ask a question to anyone who feeds there dogs Dr B's raw Barf. Since they made the change to packaging has anyone noticed anything different about the quality of the food? I have had a few customers at work over the past few weeks complaining that the flavour they have fed for years there dogs are suddenly refusing to eat. Saying it also seems to have an unpleasant smell to it aswell, one saying it was almost a gassy kind of smell. These people asked was there any change to the food itself or just the packaging change. From what we were told it was just a package change and the quality of the food should of remaind the same. I have checked our freezers and they seem to be operating as normal, only thing I could think of is either the food did infact change or maybe it has to do with our supplier as we no longer get it from where we use to.

So i guess, has anyone else experienced any issues with the food itself (mainly the chicken flavour from memory)? I shall have to wait til Monday to contact our supplier and see if they've had any issues aswell because I don't really want to be selling people something that is no longer as good as it has been with a possibility of making there pets sick :(.

i took a box back to the vet last week.

It was supposed to be lamb but it was very light in colour and gave my dog the runs....therefore it was chicken which she is very sensitive too. :eek:

They told me that the processing plant had been moved and they were still working out how fine to make the patty. :mad

i don't like the new packaging...you can't peel it like you used to be able to and the box is too square to fit in my freezer.

I was going to start using the Canine County( or Country) but someone told me they were going out of business.

If any has other suggestions I would be grateful

I used to feed my dogs Dr B's Barf and I was also a distributor of the product for many years, however when they changed companies and recipes my dogs and clients dogs stopped eating it. I hated the changes but the biggest problem was the dogs hated it more. I not only had to change suppliers but also lost a good friend in doing so. :(

I have fed my dog Dr B's barf patties for nearly 5 years. Once they changed recipes and the patties became inedible and slimey and smelly, ( packaging was a pain to fit in the freezer too ) I was reliably informed, the original recipe was being marketed under Big Dog Barf Patties, so I tracked down a supplier in my area, and have switched to those. I do believe the patties are the same ones, originally Dr B's.

I was reliably informed, the original recipe was being marketed under Big Dog Barf Patties.

We use to have our barf supplied by Big Dog and I can't recall ever having a complaint. I believe it was around the time of the package change that we then started getting Barf from our own company brand meat supplier.

I have fed my dog Dr B's barf patties for nearly 5 years. Once they changed recipes and the patties became inedible and slimey and smelly, ( packaging was a pain to fit in the freezer too ) I was reliably informed, the original recipe was being marketed under Big Dog Barf Patties, so I tracked down a supplier in my area, and have switched to those. I do believe the patties are the same ones, originally Dr B's.

Big Dog used to produce the Dr B's Barf - Dr B changed companies and at first said they did not change the recipe then said made a few small changes however it was obvious there were big changes - not for the better IMO.

Big Dog have made a few minor changes to the original barf including green tripe and have also added flavors, turkey for dogs and fish for cats. And increased the packaging to 3 kgs.

I have been very happy with Big Dog, they are great to deal with and the dogs are very happy on it.

I've got a box of the new version, my little dogs are not keen to eat it, and it does have a funny smell (not off, just ???) and the colour is different too. I'm sure there have been changes in the product. Also hate how the peel off lid curls up and will not reseal the pack any more (my dogs get 2 meals from each patty).

So, I won't be buying it again.

Yup :( I heard the same about Big Dog so was using that anyway, but ran out and had to get some Dr B's recently.....it had a strong garlic smell and pretty sloppy consistency. My two are guts so pigged it anyway, but I've stuck to Big Dog since.

Occasionally I get them the mutton mince from Better Pets and Gardens, is this ok quality? It's very chunky and seems fine :confused: I know its not complete like the patties, but I also give them lamb rib bones with it.

It was supposed to be lamb but it was very light in colour and gave my dog the runs....therefore it was chicken which she is very sensitive too. :eek:

They told me that the processing plant had been moved and they were still working out how fine to make the patty. :mad

i don't like the new packaging...you can't peel it like you used to be able to and the box is too square to fit in my freezer.

Ditto to all of the above! Last week I bought the first box that I've bought for quite a few months - noticed how different it looks before even opening it, and not nearly so easy to open/handle. It almost smelt off, but not quite - quite different to the original which always smelt delicious! It has a slimy feel to it, too - not nice! The dogs ate it, but certainly not with the usual gusto, and my old girl was quite half-hearted which is very unusual for her. Two of them had slightly runny tummies the day after, too.

What a shame.....

Big Dog used to produce the Dr B's Barf - Dr B changed companies and at first said they did not change the recipe then said made a few small changes however it was obvious there were big changes - not for the better IMO.

Big Dog have made a few minor changes to the original barf including green tripe and have also added flavors, turkey for dogs and fish for cats. And increased the packaging to 3 kgs.

I have been very happy with Big Dog, they are great to deal with and the dogs are very happy on it.

Can someone tell me where I could get hold of some Big Dog, please? I am in the Southern Highlands of NSW. Maybe somewhere in Sydney either?

Can someone tell me where I could get hold of some Big Dog, please? I am in the Southern Highlands of NSW. Maybe somewhere in Sydney either?

Check their website for your local distributor http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com.au/ :D

Yup :( I heard the same about Big Dog so was using that anyway, but ran out and had to get some Dr B's recently.....it had a strong garlic smell and pretty sloppy consistency. My two are guts so pigged it anyway, but I've stuck to Big Dog since.

Occasionally I get them the mutton mince from Better Pets and Gardens, is this ok quality? It's very chunky and seems fine :confused: I know its not complete like the patties, but I also give them lamb rib bones with it.

My showdogs get this mutton daily & it is wonderful.Have used it for many years now & we are very fussy trying many suppliers over the years .

We often get over 100 kg delivered here

I usually make my own BARF but my neighbour gave me a box of the lamb as her dog wouldn't eat it. the dogs ate it as they are gutses, )one of their favourite treats is bandicoot poo) :laugh: but I would never buy it as I couldn't get those bloody little containers open...it was nearly impossible to stab them with the scissors,then cut the hard plastic off without slicing my hand open on the plastic.

Who was the moron that designed them?, the original patties were great...just wack them with the hammer and they plinked off the roll.

We have been feeding our dogs Dr. B's Barf since we have had them. We also feed them a raw chicken wing and a raw beef bone each day and they are in perfect health and have never had one single health issue and Westies are normally prone to allergies.

We've had dogs before that cost us a fortune in vet bills with allergies and other problems before they passed away and we firmly believe that the non-BARF diet we feed them then was the cause. But we didn't know any better then.

With our new dogs we discovered Dr. Billinghurst's Barf and it all made sense....as I say, no dog in the history of the universe ever cooked its own food!

We have never had any problems with any of Dr. Billinghurst's BARF varieties and I know his ingredients are of the best premium quality.

Our dogs are a joy, fit and healthy and I know it's because of their BARF diet and I can't thank Dr. Billinghurst enough.

I was going to start using the Canine County( or Country) but someone told me they were going out of business.

Canine Country is NOT going out of business in fact they get bigger every day.www.caninecountry.com.au

or in NSW www.caninecountrybarf.com.au

I changed to Big Dog when BP&G stopped stocking Dr B's and my dogs have never complained until the last 2 nights where Moose has turned his nose up at it. He'll eat it if I offer it to him on my hand but almost reluctantly. He's not sick, he'll happily eat treats and other food and is otherwise himself. Bad batch maybe? It does smell a little funky...