Rally-o

There is a seminar happening in SA with a presenter that is a rally judge and conformation judge as well. Please be aware that this presenter is an AKC judge and most likely will be using SOME of the signs or descriptions on how to do the signs based on the AKC rules and NOT the CKC (which is the model for our Australian Rally O)

Please be aware for ANYONE attending seminars not presented by myself (or a few select individuals that have been well and truly had the rules stamped into their brains by me) that station #20 and #40 have been altered incorrectly. Neither of them are change of direction as indicated, and neither of them are to be preformed BEFORE the sign as it is technically impossible to do the station correctly this way. It has come to my attention that the re writing of the description MAY be based on some AKC, however I speak from trialing experience (unlike a few that seem to feel they fully understand this sport) that the description noted in the ANKC draft is in fact NOT the way we trialled in the USA and doing it the way described, would in fact result in a major point deduction as the station would be performed incorrectly.

Angelsun, I have the copy of the draft rules that you sent me. Are you saying these stations are wrong in that copy?

What about the presenter of the seminar on the 29th and 30th October. I noticed it is another lady doing the training for this one.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Station #20 and #40 are incorrectly described. That version you have states it is a change of direction exercise (it is not) and that it should be done in front of the sign, which it can't be or your dog will trip over the sign when you advance forward. It's a BIG error, which I can't seem to get corrected as my emails etc are being ignored on this matter. My hands are tied and I"m afraid it will end up probably being printed and accepted wrong, and we can't make changes for a few years due to the ANKC rules on newly recognized sports.

Jeb5, hopefully your video's don't reflect the incorrect ways of doing the stations, presenting them as correct.

• 1 month later...

The Rally Obedience Rules are now ratified and available from ANKC Website, effective 1st January 2012.

The Queensland Rally Obedience Working Party will apply these Rules and make Rally Obedience the success it deserves to be.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::champagne::champagne::champagne:

Wahooo!!!! That is such good news. We have a trial all set to gazette for January down in Hobart. :D

Angelsun, so sorry that things have gone a little bit pear-shaped, but certainly down here in Tasmania we acknowledge our huge debt to you for getting us up and running, and hopefully performing to a very high level.

Angelsun I am very disappointed to hear what has happened with you, after all the work you have put in to get this up and running in Australia. on Behalf of WA I would like to thank you for all your hard work and efforts and thank you truly for opening up our eyes and introducing Rally-o to Australia. Hopefully with some hard work, Spartan will be able to compete.

:D - lovely to see the older ones (and the 'pigs might fly' dogs) having fun.

You mean the signs, OSS - they can be even closer together than that - and yes, even though you have walked the course beforehand, it can be confusing. I find an obedience background is good and bad - so drilled over the years to walk straight lines, that I still get thrown by the fact that you may have to walk a somewhat angled line between stations to set up the line for the next one. The agility background is also a bit of a handicap in that I find I have a tendency to rush a bit, instead of taking time to perform the stations really precisely. (Just as well I'm doing it with Rory, and not with Kirra who thinks all disciplines should happen at warp speed - and she's nearly 10 :laugh: .

Yes I meant the signs. Hopefully it is not as confusing when you are there, looking from side on there seems to be little organisation.

Doesn't seem like there is much room to do stuff and between each sign.

All a good learning curve I guess.

It will be a bit of a learning curve at first I think. We're lucky in that we've had workshops with Angelsun, and that clubs here have been doing it for a couple of years, and having mock trials for a year or more. At our club we have a couple of people already well into Excellent at Club test levels - although of course they'll have to start back at Novice when official trials start.

The courses usually have some sort of flow to them - although you still sometimes have to hesitate to make sure where the next number is and what it is. (But hey - I've been known to do that even on Masters agility and jumping courses :laugh: .) Oh - forgot to say - we're usually given a copy of the course before hand (like they do in some agility trials in US.)

Just looking for some idea's on where to start with this Rally O, myself and two other ladies are interested in pursing it but our obedience club is not supportive of the idea, we are all planning to attend the info day at Bulla but besides that what else can we do/ is availble for us rural folk with no support from our clubs ?

Sir Sniffalot, I have downloaded the rule book but there is also going to be a DVD on how to do the individual stations , can't remember the name of the DOLer but it is not far back.

I can pm you their DOL name if you like.

My club is supportive but ahs no idea so it is up to me to get it happening. Resources like the DVD will be invaluable

Great video, Tiggy! Dog was lovely to watch. Had to laugh though at the lady's left about turn and her down signal looked like she was going to give the dog a flogging! eek1.gifrofl1.gif

I find an obedience background is good and bad

Ruby goes into "auto-pilot" mode for figure 8's so when we came to the serpentine weave and spiral signs, Ruby tends to continue in a figure 8 motion laugh.gif

I need to do some Rally practice before it comes in next year! We had a fantastic time at the seminar last year but subsequent ring run-throughs haven't been as successful for some reason laugh.gif Looking forward to getting out there and competing, though!

And just because I was thrilled with how Ruby went, I thought I'd share my videos of our Rally mock trials at the seminar last year (thanks angelsun for the great seminar! I'm saddened to hear you've been messed around and won't be able to judge :()