Ticks

Hi , my partner and I are going camping along the N.S.W. coast in August and we have heard the ticks a pretty bad this year. Are ticks a problem north of Sydney? I would appreciate any tips you could give us, thank you. We could be going as far up as Yamba.

Last weekend we were still getting ticks at my folks property in Samford, on the outskirts of Brisbane. So yes.. Ticks are still a problem. We pulled about 30 off each dog. Some were paralysis and some were scrub.

They are baby and very tiny. If you are going camping up this way, I would recommend tick protection. Better safe than sorry

Last weekend we were still getting ticks at my folks property in Samford, on the outskirts of Brisbane. So yes.. Ticks are still a problem. We pulled about 30 off each dog. Some were paralysis and some were scrub.

They are baby and very tiny. If you are going camping up this way, I would recommend tick protection. Better safe than sorry

Thank you, we have rung the vet in Eden and gotten details about treatments, they were the ones that alerted us about the problem.

Oh no, Proban's the only thing that works for us and I've got four paralysis ticks this week off the dogs (we're in SEQ and have not stopped getting ticks since last September). My pup was hospitalised twice before we got onto the Proban. What am I going to do now????

THanks Sheena.

Do you know how long this is going to be?? Is it just temporary or a long term thing?

My guys are on Proban as it is the only product with the best safety margin for paralysis ticks.

Top spots and collars are useless as *** on a bull.

Thank's Why has this proban stuff been taken off the market , is there side affects?

It's not being made anymore cause they can't source the active ingredient. I just bought 3 bottles so that will keep me going for a while. Hope it's only temporary, but sounds like it could be the end for Proban :cry: It's the only thing I trust to keep the paralysis ticks off.

Thank's Why has this proban stuff been taken off the market , is there side affects?

It's not being made anymore cause they can't source the active ingredient. I just bought 3 bottles so that will keep me going for a while. Hope it's only temporary, but sounds like it could be the end for Proban :cry: It's the only thing I trust to keep the paralysis ticks off.

I saw it online in tablet form is this the right stuff?

Long shot, but maybe a compounding chemist can make it. Perhaps the supply issues are more financial/ regulatory?

I saw it online in tablet form is this the right stuff?

Yes.

This must be an Australian thing. Cythioate is still available and being produced . . . no trouble sourcing it in the US. It's an organophosphate, a category of pesticide that is long lasting in the environment and includes carcinogens, so some regulatory agency may be putting the brakes on its use.

THanks Sheena.

Do you know how long this is going to be?? Is it just temporary or a long term thing?

My guys are on Proban as it is the only product with the best safety margin for paralysis ticks.

Preventic collars or Advantix are OK. We live in a very bad area for ticks. I have had two on me in the last week...both at the nymph stage, but the spot where they were will itch like mad for a week. I have used both Asvantix and the Preventic collars on the dogs. A friends Keeshund had two ticks and was very sick with both...until she started using the Preventic collar and he never got another tick.

Nothing however is a 100% surety....so check your dogs every day, without fail.

Hi , my partner and I are going camping along the N.S.W. coast in August and we have heard the ticks a pretty bad this year. Are ticks a problem north of Sydney? I would appreciate any tips you could give us, thank you. We could be going as far up as Yamba.

Hi, Our local vet has 'head's up' that the tick season has started very early with a large number of dogs already being treated for tick systems.

I live about 3 hours north of Sydney & I got a small tick of my boy's chest about 3 week's ago. I use Advantix every 2 week's. Can't use a Preventic tick collar on my kids

cause they swim everyday & those collars aren't waterproof but very effective. Advantix I find really good though as it is only the 2nd tick my boy has had in 3 years & our

coastal area is a well known black spot for them. It keeps mozzies & sandflies away as well. I check my 2 everyday though as no product is 100% safe.

Have a great trip. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

THanks Sheena.

Preventic collars or Advantix are OK. We live in a very bad area for ticks. I have had two on me in the last week...both at the nymph stage, but the spot where they were will itch like mad for a week. I have used both Asvantix and the Preventic collars on the dogs. A friends Keeshund had two ticks and was very sick with both...until she started using the Preventic collar and he never got another tick.

Nothing however is a 100% surety....so check your dogs every day, without fail.

Believe me.. there are twice daily checks when I lived at Samford myself and when I go back there now to visit the folks. Even on Proban, they are checked twice daily.

I know someone who used the Preventic collars and found about 4 ticks right underneath the collar. Another BC breeder whom I know is on the ball. I know others up here who have used Advantix and Frontline and had absolutely no success. My vet locally who is in middle of Tick area, even recommends to NOT use top spots in favour of Proban due to effectiveness. They also have quite a number of dogs who are dipped come in with Tick Paralysis. So yes I know no product is not 100%.

For me Proban offers teh most effective safety net for ticks. I have had two dogs once down the vet once on drips. One was a 10 week puppy (two young for proban). $1000 later... Proban it is.. It i more expensive than the top spots and collars, but it is still cheaper than a dog on a drip at the vet.

Be careful using 'Advantix' on your dog if you have cats. My friend put this on her little Maltese about 2 weeks ago and her cat came into contact with it and it poisoned her and she went into a coma. She spent a few days at the vets and they almost lost her but is fine now.

I have never heard of this happening before other than this but will be cautious with what we use on our dog.

Be careful using 'Advantix' on your dog if you have cats. My friend put this on her little Maltese about 2 weeks ago and her cat came into contact with it and it poisoned her and she went into a coma. She spent a few days at the vets and they almost lost her but is fine now.

I have never heard of this happening before other than this but will be cautious with what we use on our dog.

Yeah i have heard of this before. After talking to the company rep about it they told me that it is toxic to cats and to only use it on dogs. I think ive also read it in a few threads here as well.

It is part of the warning on the packet/leaflet contained within the packet.. The product is deadly to cats.

One problem I had with advantix in particular is it causes "burns" on where it is applied to the dog. Even despite parting the hair and applying to the skin. I have found the undercoat soaks up the oily product and sits as a layer ontop of the skin. Moisture then gets under this and causes a sore..

I telephoned Bayer and told them my experience. They told me the dog had a hot spot.

The dogs never have had hot spots. Believe me, I know what they look like and have worked around them with clients. The "hot spots" only occurred when I used Advantix and under where I applied the product.

Edited by Mystiqview

It is part of the warning on the packet/leaflet contained within the packet.. The product is deadly to cats.

Well there you go! Georgie didn't apply it to her cat but it did come into contact. Silly move on her part if it is a warning on the packet!