New Technology.

http://www.lytro.com/pictures/lyt-21?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=SharedLink

Haven't had a long look at it. Just picked it up on a photography forum. System takes the shot, then you focus. Pessimists predicting it will put photographers out of business, too easy, anyone can do selective focus, any shot can be as from a 1.4 lens with perfect focus where it's wanted. Magic, I'll have one!! Haven't got to the bit where the price is listed, maybe I won't have one after all. Isn't it amazing though: just mess with the samples here (green arrow, bottom corner).

People will adapt or die.

This is the same thing that was said about digitial. And about consumer cameras before digital.

I think half the fun is getting my equipment to do what I want it to do, but I know not everyone is interested in the process.

They are being cagey on detail - for instance most of the FAQ's listed require an email for the answer (database building, transparent). Obviously not a scam, but something dodgey about the lead-up (much like Nikon and Sony guarding their new technology release info I suppose). I'm in two minds about this "we'll all lose our jobs" thing though. I did feel that way when DSLRs became a dime a dozen and suddenly everyone and their uncle has one, and yes a lot of semi-pro photographers have walked away in the very recent few years. Full time professionals aren't that affected, might have changed their system or marketing or whatever a bit, but the top people in all fields are still very much there. And it's wrong I think to resent "everybody" having the means to take good shots at a dog-horse event, wedding, whatever.

It's very similar to when computers, home PCs, came available. Many hundreds of home-based typing services, secretarial services, who typed people's job applications, lists and letters were suddenly out of work because suddenly everyone had a word processer etc available. (Not that anyone bled for the typists who all became redundant practically overnight).

But you can't hold back technology being available to everyone just to save the chosen careers (full or part time) of a few.

Interesting item though: it's a real "watch this space" isn't it.

and what about the times you need everything in focus?

Could this technology be in the software and not in the camera?

ETA - went to a camera store and the conversation went like this

sales person has a few different cameras out to show customers

Customer: does this camera take good photos

sales person - Oh yes, this camera or camera B take really good photos

If people don't believe that it is the camera that takes good photos and not the person how can they keep selling these cameras that take such good photos?

Edited by helen

and what about the times you need everything in focus? ......

No idea Helen, I just saw the link and a few comments on a photographers' forum and passed it on out of interest. I guess it has some good uses and some limitations like most stuff.

On the camera store conversation: yes the sales staff pass on the same pitch as the camera manufacturers so we can't blame the staff entirely: the buck should stop at the source where manufacturers claim their product produces brilliant results. "Buy our N/C/S/P body and lens and your work will look just like this Nat Geo photographers because he/she uses one". I can't see this ingrained belief in maker-labels that the public hold changing much.

kja - "people will adapt or die" - well yes, I guess that's what some are afraid of, if their steps to adapt don't work out.