How Many New Breed Accepted By Ankc

GeckoTree

Just a general query about how many new breeds of dog have been accepted by the ANKC in the last 5 years if any one has the facts on this.

The ANKC registration stats can help you with this - take pdf from this page.

Newly recognised breeds have a row of 0s until they are registered :)

Careful with that one though, as breeds that are recognised yet haven't been bred for some time will also show a zero. Eg. Sloughi shows zero for the whole form, and I don't know how long it's been since there have been any in the country. Yet they're recognised here.

How does one get an AKC or FCI recognised breed recognised and accepted by the ANKC in Australia?

It is not easy to bring in a breed for the first time and the criteria that has to be met plus the interpretation of the standard especially when it is in another language.

Just ask the Podengo and Xoloitzcuintle people.

SECTION 10

Recognition of New Breeds

10.1 Requirements for the Recognition of any breed, which is recognised by a

recognised Overseas Controlling Bodies (10/97)

The ANKC Ltd recognises new breeds, which are recognised by the Recognised

Overseas Controlling Body provided that:

10.1.1 That each individual dog to be re-registered is registered with a overseas

Canine Control Body that is recognised by the ANKC Ltd and accompanied by

the original registration issued by the controlling body in the country in which

the animal was last registered and by an “Export Certified/Pedigree”. (10/06,

6.1.2)

10.1.2 That each individual dog to be re-registered has all ancestors shown on the

Export Certified/Pedigree are fully registered. ie The Prefix or Suffix plus the

dogs name and the registration number must be provided for all ancestors

shown on the Export Certified/Pedigree. (10/06, 6.1.2)

10.1.3 The ANKC Ltd holds the appropriate Breed Standard.

10.1.4 The importer to provides sufficient additional breed information, such as

additional text expanding on the breed standard, photographs and diagrams

to allow the ANKC Ltd to prepare an appropriate Breed Standard Extension.

The importer shall also provide written approval for the use of this material.

(10/06, 6.1.2)

10.1.5 The Breed Standards Coordinator collates the above and checks the

translation of the Standard into English where appropriate

10.1.6 The Administrator circulates the Standard and additional information to all

member bodies for comment and formal adoption at the next Conference

10.1.7 Breeds recognised from the 1st July to the 31st December shall be shall be

eligible for entry on to the purebred register forthwith and shall be effective

from the 1st July the following year for exhibition purposes. (10/06, 6.1.2)

10.1.8 Breeds recognised from the 1st January to the 30th June shall be shall be

eligible for entry on to the purebred register forthwith and shall be effective

from the 1st January the following year for exhibition purposes. (10/06, 6.1.2)

10.1.9 When a new breed arrives in Australia, the breed Standards Coordinator and

the Administrator be notified. [Added 16/10/97]

10.1.10 Any new breed of dog recognised by the ANKC Ltd will be known by its

common usage name around the world subject to ANKC Ltd Regulation Part

6, Clause 10.2.1. (10/08) (Amended 10/09, 7.3)

• 2 weeks later...

How does one get an AKC or FCI recognised breed recognised and accepted by the ANKC in Australia?

It is not easy to bring in a breed for the first time and the criteria that has to be met plus the interpretation of the standard especially when it is in another language.

Just ask the Podengo and Xoloitzcuintle people.

It is easy its just a lot of research, which one has already usually done in looking at the breed, but people that have never done it assume its hard work, I honestly did not think it was hard work at all, it was all a learning experience, BUT what did surprise me was the lack of help from people who I thought may have been able to help,( they sure hepled with their mouth offs at times) but failed to actually offer any sound advice in the formulation of BSEs or any idea of what was involved!!

I am currently assisting three people in their new breed "experiences" and looking at another down the track.

I think the last breed developed in Australia to be recognized was the Tenterfield Terrier. Going from memory there would have been abou 1/2 a dozen from OS in the last few years

Edited by Dracdog

Wish someone with lots more money than me would import silken windhounds and get them recognised!

:laugh: I think once they get their full AKC recognition it will be easier for enthusiasts to work toward greater world-wide recognition. Although they're fully recognised in Czech Republic and Slovenia now I think!

I'd love to bring Chortaj to Australia, but they are not FCI recognised, only smaller countries like Czech Rep. One day... When I win the lottery I suppose... :D