An Awful Couple Of Weeks

tlc

Long story short as I want this thread to be about the awesomeness of dogs. I have been really sick since the 9th July and been in bed most of the time, last Friday was my birthday and I had a big week planned which went to crap due to being sick, wrongly diagnosed to begin with and got a lot sicker I went back to the doctor who feels sure I have whooping cough (blood test today to find out for sure) so now on two lots of ABs a new inhaler and prednisone (sp) so should start to feel better soon.

What I really wanted to say is from the time I have been sick, my dogs (all 4 of them) have not left my side, they just lay around with me and are quite happy to just be with me. Put up with my incessant coughing that would drive the most patient person insane. :laugh:

They love their excersise, they love to run but it seems like they haven't missed it a bit and are just happy to be with me. I don't know what I would do without them!

Even when I let them out for a pit stop, they make me laugh as they run strait back in when they are done and back onto the bed to assume the position of closely montiorig me :laugh:

It is really amazing how much comfort we draw from these little furry creatures that love us unconditionally.

Please add your stories of the comfort you get from your fur kids.

Edited by tlc

I don't have any stories of comfort. ( I only have a 6 month pup) but I'm glad to read that they're giving you some relief/comfort/joy. Happy belated b'day wishes :D and I hope you get better soon .

Glad to hear other peoples dogs are looking after them too :) hope you are feeling better Tlc

Whenever I'm having a bad day Raffy and Anna wont leave my side and Benny will increase his guarding tendancies to keep me safe or something. Anna is especially wonderful when I am upset, she will jump onto my lap and lick up all the tears and cuddle until I am feeling a bit better, then she will hop off and get all bouncy trying to get me to play, and I can't help but smile.

When I was sick with pnuemonia a few yrs ago my kitten Archie stayed with me the entire time. I was miserable, in pain and felt awful as I live alone. Archie never left my side. Everytime I woke up he was curled up against me, a living hot water bottle. Its hard to put into words what a comfort he was. After I came home from hospital he was the same. I think thats why he's my fav cat and so bonded to me now, he spent about 3 weeks of his life in fully body contact with me lol.

My dogs were the same when I had flu a couple of years ago, I also had a newborn litter at the time, so thankfully mum was just great with her pups and I had just enough energy to feed the dogs and let them out for a pitstop. Lovely to have a canine rug keeping me warm and comforted while I felt so ill.

TLC- I feel for you as I too have just gotten over whooping cough. I too was also wrongly diagnosed with "just a virus" for ages before a doctor actually took the time to go through the timeline of my illness and all the symptoms and bingo - swab down the nose and a correct diagnosis.

My two dogs were hilarious. Sierra gave me the death stare whenever I coughed! How rude was I to interrupt her beauty sleep!

Brembo on the other hand was an absolute sweetheart. He would lie beside me with his head on my chest and give me gentle licks at the end of coughing fits. And yes he is my boy through and through. When I have migraines, he lies beside me and will NOT leave until I tell him its ok to go. Love my boy :)

It's good you have them to comfort you. How do they know.

My girl Penny is a smooch but certainly not a lap dog, she's not comfy on laps, but a friend of mine went through a couple of rough patches, and each time I saw her and she cried, Penny just gently and quietly climbed onto her lap, and just sat, no licking/kissing or annoying behaviour, just quietly sat and comforted her while my friend sobbed into her fur.

When I fostered Stan I had only had him a couple of days and I was sruggling with my arthritis.I was laying in bed with Stan,my head on one pillow and his on the other and he was staring at me.Then he ever so gently put his paw on my cheek and closed his eyes.For a dog who had only known me for a couple of days I'm sure he sensed the pain I was in.Of course my heart just melted and I knew right then he was my forever boy.

Guest english.ivy

Since finding Ivy's lump on her side, I've been worried it was something nasty and she'd had to leave me early like Penny did. I ended up sitting on my bed with Ivy last night [got good news from the vet] and starting crying, too many emotions going through my mind and then to hear she's going to be ok.

Ivy wormed her way closer to me and put her head right near mine and was layed together for awhile.

Then I felt her jump on the bed while I was half sleeping and lay next to me last night, she always sleeps on the floor, in her bed and very rarely jumps on my bed at night.

I think she knew how worried I was yesterday :)

Since finding Ivy's lump on her side, I've been worried it was something nasty and she'd had to leave me early like Penny did. I ended up sitting on my bed with Ivy last night [got good news from the vet] and starting crying, too many emotions going through my mind and then to hear she's going to be ok.

Ivy wormed her way closer to me and put her head right near mine and was layed together for awhile.

Then I felt her jump on the bed while I was half sleeping and lay next to me last night, she always sleeps on the floor, in her bed and very rarely jumps on my bed at night.

Glad she's going to be ok. :hug:

About three and a half years ago I took on a 12 week old pied SBT that needed a home as I had lost my pied boy only a couple of months before and his mother who I also had was very sad by herself. I'd never met the pup before and honestly she was the naughtiest but funniest and sweetest thing and I have finally discovered what it feels like to have a heart dog. Her needs are very simple - love, play and food, pretty much in that order.

Not long after I got her she caused me to have a fall which lead to me developing an abcess on the base of my spine which started to leak. I ended up having a couple of surgeries and basically being bed ridden for 3 months. Even though she was only a pup she wasn't demanding and didn't even jump on me hurting me. My sister moved in with her dog to care for me and she basically immediately adjusted to a changed household. I really paid very little attention to her that whole time given the pain killers I was on. All her training went on hold, but she did her best and really I am very proud of her for that.

A year later I had some bad stuff happening at work that caused my depression to hit hard. There were days when I couldn't get out of bed and face the world. She seemed to know I wasn't feeling good and one day got on the bed and laid her favourite toy of the time on my chest. It was a beautiful moment for me. She has since done the same thing maybe another 3 times and it always makes me smile getting some manky tuggy or brainless stuffed toy. They make her happy so I guess she figures why wouldn't it do the same for me?

I have definately re-learned to enjoy the simple pleasures of life with her in my house and heart. Even after a long and hard day at work I am excited to come home and get some welcome home snuggles and kisses before we deal with daily domestics like bringing in the washing and making the dinner. Dogs really make such a difference to our lives if we let them.

Just edited to add - speaking of the simple things - she has just run into the cold front room where I am sitting at the computer to check on what I'm up to and her fur is toasty warm - she's got the rght idea being outside lying on her sun bed!

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

I have had similiar experiences this year also. I have been ill with a temporary form of rheumatoid arthritis, which has had me in and out of hospital and bed ridden for the majority of this year so far. In the early parts, Ozkar our Vizsla had only just come home to live with us. I think he was only with us two weeks when I got sick.

He was amazing. Sometimes it was like he just knew where I was hurting and would come and lay down on top of whichever of my joints was hurting at the time. Puppy heat packs are brilliant!!!! :D :D :D

I have loved hearing your stories of the joy and comfort we get from Dogs, to me they are almost like a magical creature. I could go on all day about them. I know here on DOL there is so many people that hold their dogs in the highest regard and I absolutley love that. People really get where your coming from when you gush about how awesome your dogs are!

Ridgie Lover,how long did it take you to get over the WC?

Guest english.ivy

Glad she's going to be ok. :hug:

Thank you :) but it's still so raw in my mind that she has a lump.

TLC- my sickness timetable is as follows:

2 weeks of feeling unwell (sinus, post nasal drip, sore throat, migraines, aching)

2 weeks of full on coughing fits

2 weeks of no coughing during the day, but cough returned at night/early morning

Finally recovered!

Hope this kinda helps. The antibiotics I was on did nothing for me, it's only to stop you from being actively contagious.