Growling Puppy

shelleys_email

Hi everyone just after a bit of advice about my 12 wk old cocker. We've had him for 4 weeks now and on the weekend we took him to meet my parents dog who growls a lot during play. Paddy has never growled before but last night when playing roughly with a friends dog he started to growl. We decided that they needed to have a break from play so we held them apart to try to calm them down and Paddy started growling and nibbling on my arm to try to get back to the other dog. Being a first time dog owner I'm not sure if this behavior is normal for a pup or if he is showing signs of aggression. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

My two cockers growl/talk at each other when playing, Ivy more so than Monte. Its just her way of encouraging him to play with her and they talk to each other.

If we think they're getting a bit full on, we separate them but for the majority of the time, they are just playing and its how they communicate whilst playing.

(PS - I would love to see photos :p)

I have had 5 cocker spaniels over the years and found them to play growl lots. Very talkative puppy dogs too they are!!! My Strika would talk to me all the time as well as talk to other puppies!! Pretty normal by the sounds of it. :)

As someone else said....... pics!!!!! :D

Zorro growls alot during play or to try and get my attention he barks if he wants attention as well. ( probably my fault for teach him to speak in command since then he descoverd his voice and it's loud :rofl: ialso second pics

Oh Emmy is a growler. They are better than whingers (I have a whinger too)

She growls eating a very yummy food, growls when she plays, growls before she goes to sleep, growls when she wants attention...

It's normal.

Though normal, you need to make sure if you stop your pup from playing you don't then let them go to play again while growling. The purpose of stopping a puppy is for them to settle down- growling, squirming and mouthing in that context are all signs that your puppy is getting more frustrated and wound up and so you need to ensure they do not go to play again until this behaviour has stopped and you feel the pups arousal levels are coming down.

Growling in play with the other dog, provided the other dog is also happy to play, is fine.

Hi everyone just after a bit of advice about my 12 wk old cocker. We've had him for 4 weeks now and on the weekend we took him to meet my parents dog who growls a lot during play. Paddy has never growled before but last night when playing roughly with a friends dog he started to growl. We decided that they needed to have a break from play so we held them apart to try to calm them down and Paddy started growling and nibbling on my arm to try to get back to the other dog. Being a first time dog owner I'm not sure if this behavior is normal for a pup or if he is showing signs of aggression. Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Personally I dont let my dog play with other dogs, I think its a recepie for disaster. especially if one is alot older then the other, One thing I would never tolerate is your dog gorwling at you and nibling. I see it as the dog not respecting you as the pack leader.

Either it needs to be corrected of the focus of the drive needs to be redirected to an appropriate outlet. Generally you dont correct behaviour in an young puppy so you give them a toy to bit and growl on.

When you seperated the pair where you holding them back while they could still see each other?

Here is a photo of Paddy having a cuddle when he was 9 weeks old :) Yes Ali the dogs could still see each other when we separated them and it wasn't until we put one outside that Paddy decide to settle down. Thanks for your reassurance everyone, he's always talking to us humans so I shouldn't have been surprised when he started talking to dogs too lol

post-40268-0-42218200-1311592636_thumb.jpg

So your dog never plays with other dogs?? Playing with other dogs imo is very important im not saying let them go wild but let them have some fun. Kids learn through play and so do dogs

I dont let my dog play with other dogs, I belive to much can go wrong...in I'm conditioning my dog to be totally alloof to other dogs and people apart from me and my family.

So your dog never plays with other dogs?? Playing with other dogs imo is very important im not saying let them go wild but let them have some fun. Kids learn through play and so do dogs

I dont let my dog play with other dogs, I belive to much can go wrong...in I'm conditioning my dog to be totally alloof to other dogs and people apart from me and my family.

Can I ask why?

Can I ask why?

Its really horses for courses, but I hope to ingrain alot of specific behaviour in my pup, and a negative experience from another dog especially an aggressive experience could make my dog "dog aggressive for the rest of its life....

Also I dont want my pup to instictivly bite someone while playing which is the normal way pups play with one another. I teach my pup to chase and play with my kids but the bite is always on a toy and never our clothes or body.

I also dont want my dog to look at another dog as a source of fun.. this can lead to distraction when there is another dog around during training. I want my dog to look to me and my family for all positive experiences we are its pack and its world..

People I'm not a strict with that because my breed (Cane Corso) is normally aloof to strangers, but the goal is to make my pup neutral that is he doesnt care if people are around or not rather then look to other humens as treat depensers or pat machines.. all that stuff should come from me and my family.

These are my views which I have understood from alot of the Leerburg training stuff.

Personally I dont let my dog play with other dogs, I think its a recepie for disaster
:(

Sad isn't it. Dog doesn't learn to be a dog. One doesn't have to take the dog to a dog park to have safe interactions.

Can I ask why?

Its really horses for courses, but I hope to ingrain alot of specific behaviour in my pup, and a negative experience from another dog especially an aggressive experience could make my dog "dog aggressive for the rest of its life....

Also I dont want my pup to instictivly bite someone while playing which is the normal way pups play with one another. I teach my pup to chase and play with my kids but the bite is always on a toy and never our clothes or body.

I also dont want my dog to look at another dog as a source of fun.. this can lead to distraction when there is another dog around during training. I want my dog to look to me and my family for all positive experiences we are its pack and its world..

People I'm not a strict with that because my breed (Cane Corso) is normally aloof to strangers, but the goal is to make my pup neutral that is he doesnt care if people are around or not rather then look to other humens as treat depensers or pat machines.. all that stuff should come from me and my family.

These are my views which I have understood from alot of the Leerburg training stuff.

You don't understand Neutrallsation from the explanation you have given it. Isolating a dog is not Neutralisation.

Can I ask why?

You don't understand Neutrallsation from the explanation you have given it. Isolating a dog is not Neutralisation.

hmmm i agree.

my dog does not play with other dogs. He even at the closed in park will come back when called.

hmm i dont get it at all.

Can I ask why?

So not playing with other dogs = isolation :rolleyes:

Is that really how black and white you see the world? :confused:

Dogs needs to learn to be a dog? really...I would have thought that would be the most natural thing in the world to a dog

Especially since you leave the dog with its mother and litter mates for the first couple of months of its life... Has my dog forgotten all of that already....

The fact is a naturally a dog wont go and start playing with random dogs, naturally something as stupid as that could cost the dog its life...

To a dog its pack is its life and if I'm the leader and I dont want the dog to go and play with random dogs it obeying me is the natural thing for the dog to do...

Like I said horses for courses...just try not being so judgemental...there is a whole rainbow of colours out there so dont paint the world black and white....