Showing In The Wet

Crazier than golfers?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. It's lightly showering

• I'm at home, I checked the forecast and I hate rain
    • I usually show somewhere with an under cover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket
    • I show in my dags, any excuse will do!
    • Other, explain in comments
  2. 2. It's raining heavily, and has been for a while

• I'm at home, I checked the forecast
    • I'm on my way home, bugger this for a joke
    • I usually show somewhere with an undercover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket over the top
    • I show in my dags, and gumboots
  3. 3. It's raining, and the ground has turned to mud

• I'm at home, silly
    • I'm on my way home, bugger this for a joke
    • I usually show somewhere with an undercover facility
    • I show in my normal show outfit with a rain jacket and stylish little ankle gumboots
    • I show in my dags and gumboots
    • I don't show, because my dog wasn't bred to work in muddy conditions and it doesn't show them at their best

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inspired by Bermie, Junee and Albury!

Hi,

Just want to clarify what my dags are......it's a pair of wet weather trousers and jacket with hood and gumboots. The wet weather clothes are always in my show bag and if the weather has been bad for a few days I pack my gumboots.

I would happily show my Finnish Lapphund regardless of the weather- they don't mind. I show them in dagy wet weather gear.

My tough kelpies.....

Not much point as they are too busy trying not to get their tootsies wet :rofl:

Edited by ~Woofen~

I come from a state where the smallest amount of drizzles equates to showing undercover which i hate .

In all the shows showing the drenched mud slosh slime have been the most enjoyable,the most community spirit amongst exhibitors & just good old fashioned fun & yes i show coated breeds that take me 4/5 hrs to prepare.

I usually wont show if it is going to rain. Showing big white hairy dogs in the rain is not really that fun no matter how much you say 'they are meant to be out in the paddock in the rain' (with a troublesome knee I am also too worried about slipping and doing more damage to show them really well in overly slippery conditions). I dont like setting and packing up in the rain either so might as well be at home enjoying myself in the dry (while the dogs splash around in the paddock in the rain ;) ).

Though I will say I have broken my rule on more than one occasion! (including this past weekend at Albury! :laugh: - though I was there for the seminar as well). I did pack up and go home a day early though. After going through about 20 towels in one day I had nothing dry left! :o

Rainy days at shows can be fun sometimes, but I will continue to give them a miss for the most part unless the show is really special for some reason. Missing the odd show because of rain isn't going to kill me.

I too show in WA where if the forecast is possible shower they won't run the risk and we are set up undercover, which is fine for split shows but horrible with all breed shows over one day... it is quite annoying as sometimes i think it'd be great to get the "all weather' breeds out there to test their coats and stamina in the rain... plus my dogs love the rain!!

We showed on the weekend at Albury in the mud and the rain... I wore my normal outfit but changed shoes.

I did however, considering she is all white, carry her too and from the ring :laugh: but then if it had been very heavy rain I did have my raincoat there which I was prepared to wear into the ring.

The bigger problem for me and a couple of others was the rain on our glasses... is it rude to wear a hat, if only to keep the glasses dry?

The majority of our shows are outside and I have shown in some truly terrible weather. I usually stay in the car until the last minute and then dash out with umbrella, show in normal clothes and then get changed. I don't get to many shows and all but 1 of my shows a year involve staying away for the weekend. Having said that the last show I was at I only stayed for the one day as it was so wet I was standing in mud up over my ankles trying to toilet dogs and it took me ages to get their whites clean again with no bathing facilities at the motel and that was before I got to the show.

I"m happy to get wet and have a smooth coated dog that can be towel dried and warmly coated afterwards but I draw the line at the kind of slush that sees exhibitors go base over apex at any kind of pace in the ring and that sees cars bogged or sliding on their way out.

I bailed out on day 3 of Albury and I would do it again.

I've had some of my best times showing when it is pouring rain. My Goldens love nothing better than sloshing around in the mud. A quick towel dry and a brush and dirt just falls off.

My friends and I have had competitions of who could stay upright running around the ring. :rofl:

Having said that I get asked now if I'm coming to away shows where we camp, because every time I come it pours. :laugh:

I showed at Albury on the weekend and it was awesome! LOL! It got so bad that really, you just had to laugh. I went to a breed lecture after the show with mud spattered up my jeans and caked all over my boots, and I wasn't the only one there who looked like that.

It was an incredible weekend, but had that been the weather at home on a show morning, I'd have just rolled over and gone back to sleep.

Oh, the best thing was, no grooming! No point really. He was bathed and trimmed before we went, then just brushed before his turn in the ring.

Edited by GayleK

I show in my normal show outfit x3

Rain, hail, shine - I am there

Same for me. I even braved a white jacket yesterday at Albury! :laugh:

I was so close to slipping over multiple times over the weekend, and my shoes were coming off but hey, it was fun! :laugh: And my Aussies love it, I have a dog who sleeps in the rain and another who adores mud, they show better in the rain.

Ah Bermie, what soaked memories :laugh:

I will show in the rain even with fluffy white dogs ;)

Most of the time I will wear my normal show clothes but I have been known to wear gumboots under jeans if it's really muddy or to even kick my shoes off and run around the ring with water covering my ankles :laugh:

I"m happy to get wet and have a smooth coated dog that can be towel dried and warmly coated afterwards but I draw the line at the kind of slush that sees exhibitors go base over apex at any kind of pace in the ring and that sees cars bogged or sliding on their way out.

I bailed out on day 3 of Albury and I would do it again.

LOL that's why I could not find you on Sunday. I had purchased a pair of gummies by then. ;)