Newbie With Showing Questions

miss2

Hi everyone

I’m a newbie to the show world but not to dogs. I have worked in the dog industry for over 15 years and am now thinking about possibly showing.

I have a few friends who are involved in the show circuit so hopefully I can learn from them.

A few questions I did have though – as I said please excuse my ignorance but I do not know a lot about the show world.

What are my chances of having a breeder sell me a female pup?

I want to show so I’m aware that she will have to remain un desexed, does this cost me extra and do I need to sign a contract?

There is the possibility that I would want to breed down the track, not because I want puppies and to sell pups but because I would love be part of the improvement of the particular breed we choose and I have a keen interest in genetics, bloodlines etc. as a first time shower will I have troubles getting a breeder to sell me a female pup with the knowledge that I may want to breed in the future?

I have lots more questions but will leave it at that!

Thanks all for your time :)

oh sorry if this is in the wrong place

Hi everyone

I’m a newbie to the show world but not to dogs. I have worked in the dog industry for over 15 years and am now thinking about possibly showing.

I have a few friends who are involved in the show circuit so hopefully I can learn from them.

A few questions I did have though – as I said please excuse my ignorance but I do not know a lot about the show world.

What are my chances of having a breeder sell me a female pup?

I want to show so I’m aware that she will have to remain un desexed, does this cost me extra and do I need to sign a contract?

There is the possibility that I would want to breed down the track, not because I want puppies and to sell pups but because I would love be part of the improvement of the particular breed we choose and I have a keen interest in genetics, bloodlines etc. as a first time shower will I have troubles getting a breeder to sell me a female pup with the knowledge that I may want to breed in the future?

I have lots more questions but will leave it at that!

Thanks all for your time :)

oh sorry if this is in the wrong place

eh these are all really vague questions :)

In short, demonstrate that you are genuine in your interest in genetics and the lineage of your chosen breed

and you will find a breeder to help you.

What breed are you looking at?

If you have friends already in the dog show world, that will probably help you find a breeder who'll sell you a bitch. My guess is that most breeders would want to sell a bitch to a new exhibitor on co-ownership terms.

Getting a female pup to show, won't be difficult. It's getting a " quality" female pup , that will be the challenge.

It is in most cases easier to purchase a quality male.

I agree with this.

When I was looking for my girl alot of breeders told me I would be better getting a male because they are showier etc. But I was persistant that I wanted a female. Eventually after a long wait I now have my girl. She is 8 months old at present. I did not want a female on co ownership either as there is story after story of this turning sour.

Be honest when enquiring for a puppy.

Good luck

Go to some shows and talk to some breeders. Find one you like and be prepared to go along and learn from them. They may then offer you a puppy if they see that you have a genuine interest in the breed. You need to really like them as you will need them to mentor you with showing and future breeding.

Don't rule out a co-ownership with the right person. Many breeders leave main register dogs in co-own until they get to know you better to ensure the puppy isn't onsold without their knowlegde and to keep some control over what they are bred to. If they want litters back, etc, then you need to look more closely at the arrangement but if they are happy for the puppy to be yours with just their final approval needed about breeding then it should be fine.

I started out with a male on mains, but when I changed breeds I didnt have an issue getting a female to show on mains, as I had already displayed knowledge etc. It was much easier to start with a male but if you explain your reasons honestly and clearly, i think that the right person will trust you with a female. Also if you are not in a rush to find a female, getting to know a breeder will also help things - you might find that although they may originally want co-ownership, your relationship will enable you to have a trusting partnership with a dog.

Go to some shows and talk to some breeders. Find one you like and be prepared to go along and learn from them. They may then offer you a puppy if they see that you have a genuine interest in the breed. You need to really like them as you will need them to mentor you with showing and future breeding.

Don't rule out a co-ownership with the right person. Many breeders leave main register dogs in co-own until they get to know you better to ensure the puppy isn't onsold without their knowlegde and to keep some control over what they are bred to. If they want litters back, etc, then you need to look more closely at the arrangement but if they are happy for the puppy to be yours with just their final approval needed about breeding then it should be fine.

I agree with this.

To be able to show the pup must be on main register

Co ownership means the breeders name remains on the papers

Co ownership can mean different things so its important to understand any of the aspects .

I have owned 15 showdogs in co ownership & never ever had an issue

To be able to show the pup must be on main register

Co ownership means the breeders name remains on the papers

Co ownership can mean different things so its important to understand any of the aspects .

I have owned 15 showdogs in co ownership & never ever had an issue

ok thank you.

Hopefuly i can find a breeder that i can learn off as well

I think most breeders prefer phone calls, e-mail is just too impersonal.

Co-ownership is not as daunting as it sounds if you have the right conditions.

My boy is co-owned and before I purchased him the breeder assured me that he is 100% mine, she just wants him to be restricted at stud, meaning he can only be bred to dogs that she approves of. When a dog is co-owned, any litters must be signed off by both owners before they can be registered. I had no problem with this at all, after all I was new to the breed and this was my first show dog, my intentions were good but the breeder had no way of knowing this for sure. Now that I have had him almost 2 years and proven myself to the breeder my next dog will be on less of a restriction.