Dog Trailers

AshleyB

Hi everyone,

A new dog trailer is on the cards at the moment and I wanted to hear from you all about the pro's and con's of all the different brands. There are alot of different companies in Australia now that manufacture dog trailers that would suit our needs, but I really want to know the in's and out's of each companies trailers.

I have a Toledo, brought brand new 2 years ago and it leaked the moment I took it out, they used the wrong rivets, caravan company did a dodgy repair with silicon, 2 big lines of it across the roof of my brand new $8,000 trailer, repairs were of course organised by Toledo. It still leaks now in constant rain. I would not reccomend a Toledo, as they didnt even want to know about it when I phoned them, dusted their hands. IMO bad workmanship and bad customer service.....I was told later that Toledo had changed hands, so the people that used to build them, no longer did :(

Cruising Canines is located down Greenborough way I think, there trailers look quite nice and are very reasonable in price and have loads of extras to choose from. Pretty sure they have a website and they are on facebook too :)

Other brands that are good are Trickey Trailers and also the Rangers (although not sure that Ranger is still around, but there trailers were very sound and had good reviews).

The toledo man is the same one as when i got my first trailer 7 years ago...weird...

I got a new bigger one 3 weeks ago but haven't used it yet.

Bummer that yours wasn't good pockets mine was really good and I haven't heard any bad raps for them before yours sorry to hear.

I have herad that Champion trailers have had many problems but have never owned one.

I emailed Cruising Canines over a week ago and never got a reply. Got a reply within 24 hrs from Toledo. But it doesn't matter now cause I am buying a large Toldeo 4 berth from a friend that has only been used 1/2 dozen times all up. So near new for a very reasonable price :happydance: sorry to go OT but I am excited about my new trailer.

That's all well and good, but when I took mine to the caravan repair place they said "they shouldn't be using these rivets on a dog trailer, there not sealed and will leak"

Not to mention I got absolutely no reply to my many emails and phone calls about the trailer and the dodgy repair job...

Sorry I would never reccomend a Toledo and would never get one again....

I've been looking for a trailer as well, what would be a general price guide for a standard 4 berth Crusing Canines trailer?

I will call tomorrow but hate going into things blind so would appreciate an estimate first :D

Edited by tollersowned

That's all well and good, but when I took mine to the caravan repair place they said "they shouldn't be using these rivets on a dog trailer, there not sealed and will leak"

Not to mention I got absolutely no reply to my many emails and phone calls about the trailer and the dodgy repair job...

Sorry I would never reccomend a Toledo and would never get one again....

Hey that is totally your prerogative! I am a big believer in telling someone if I have a shoddy product, same as if I have a product that I am extemely happy with. For the record, Toledo do have a very good reputation for being a good, solid, well built trailer. As in anything there will always be a lemon. Friends took our trailer to a local trailer builder to be used as a base example for the one they were having made and were told our one was fantastic...

We are very happy with our Advantage.

Tows and travels like a dream. We have it extremely full and you barely notice it behind my old BA Falcon Wagon.

Dogs are very happy in it. I have travelled in it, as I do with any trailer I would put my dogs in and find it quiet and stable.

It is over 2 years old and still looks pretty much new, we do look after it though.

Easy to keep clean inside the berths.

It is custom built to suit our specs for berth sizes and storage.

We love it and the dogs are always keen to get in. :thumbsup:

post-27202-0-03191400-1312890571_thumb.jpg

I've had a Trek, it was a great little trailer, very light and did the job well. The only negative was that it was noisy when the tails banged on it and the door were quite sharp. We had to replace the bolts on the door locks, to a bigger smoother one, that didn't cut my fingers. Also the door edges were quite sharp underneath.

I've had two custom made floats and they were both awesome.

I now have a Toledo and I'm very happy with that. It rides well and hasn't given me any grief.

Hi everyone,

A new dog trailer is on the cards at the moment and I wanted to hear from you all about the pro's and con's of all the different brands. There are alot of different companies in Australia now that manufacture dog trailers that would suit our needs, but I really want to know the in's and out's of each companies trailers.

Hi Ashley, I currently have a large 6 berth Toledo which is 6years old and have had absolutely no problems with it.This is the third Toledo I have owned and have had no problems with any of them. I have upgraded them through need as our dogs numbers increased. They tow easily and are very stable and roomy for the dogs, also they have a great resale value if you look after them. go for it !

Thanks again, it is great to hear peoples good and bad experiences with trailers and their manufacturers. Does anyone have, or know someone that has a Cruising Canines Dog Trailer or an Advantage Dog Trailer in the Sydney, Central Coast or Newcastle areas (NSW) that I would be able to have a look at? Would like to see these trailers in the flesh as they look quite nice online, but have never seen one of either before.

Spent 1 year researching as previous dog trailer had done us for 20 years, so we wanted something as good. Advantage Caravan Repairs (ACR) in Melbourne were first choice but double the $$ of the others.

I contacted and discussed requirements with every dog trailer maker I heard of.

Cruising Canines were the only company that were prepared to listen to what I wanted and modify their standard floorplan for me - such as not wanting the shark fin ventilation on doors and sides as in rain and being towed the water is sucked into the trailer and I have coated dosgs !

Cruising Canines listened, discussed with me the location of wardrobe and loading, made suggestions about security etc and I made a few suggestions to them, I see they now do things like a grooming platform, umbrella holder etc after suggestions by people who purchased the trailers. They started making them for the greyhound people who wanted a safe and comfortable ride for their precious cargo to and from training and races, and CC learned that show people have quite different requirements in that our dogs travel longer distances and sleep over nites and we carry a car load of 'stuff' that is essential LoL.

We got a Cruising Canine - had a long wait as they had orders before me, and they even delivered it to our home with towing lessons - great customer service all round, from a guy that worked in the caravan industry

Edited by d_dambe

Thanks again, it is great to hear peoples good and bad experiences with trailers and their manufacturers. Does anyone have, or know someone that has a Cruising Canines Dog Trailer or an Advantage Dog Trailer in the Sydney, Central Coast or Newcastle areas (NSW) that I would be able to have a look at? Would like to see these trailers in the flesh as they look quite nice online, but have never seen one of either before.

I emailed them last night and when they replied mentioned they could put me in contact with someone in my area so I could have a look at one, if you don't get any offers on here maybe email and ask if they could put you in contact with a local?

I was very pleased with the price and inclusions, so it's been put at the top of my list....just need to save a little more! :o