Do You Rescue?

Newfymum

Hi Guys a few things have happened lately to make me think about this.

How Breeders are willing to help with the overwhelming need for rescue and abolishing puppy farms and BYBs? I know alot are and alot do great things.

Im talking things like fostering, refering prospective owners, Helping with temp testing, donating goods and helping with transport.

Ive started a group on Facebook to use as a networking group between rescue and Breeders in Victoria.

If anyone would like to join I can put the link up. Would also like to hear your opinions.

Personally I haven't helped out with rescuing to this point, but very interesting the timing of your post!

It was actually suggested to me by a friend to look into the possibility of fostering more pups onto my girl after her singleton pup is born next week.

I have to say I really like the idea of it, but not sure how practical it would actually be??

I run iggy rescue along with another Doler. I also show/breed Italians.

Before we set up iggy rescue I did all breeds rescue, much prefer breed specific rescue I have to say!

ETA Rescue is not 'practical', i dont do rescue because it makes good sense financially. If you are lucky you just break even but often you dont.

Edited by indigirl

I didn't quite mean practical in that sense. I was actually talking about the idea of fostering puppies to be "littermates" to the singleton my girl is expecting. I was meaning more the practicality of doing it that way, not of rescue in general (which I would love to help out once I have my own place later this year). I would never have expected to make money in such a situation, the same as I know I'm not even close to breaking even on the one puppy expected. I would never consider undertaking something like this with the hope of making money, etc.

As I said, not sure of the "practicality" of bringing in orphaned pups when my girl already has the one, but would love to do so if it was possible.

Yes, though luckily in my breed we don't have many. If we hear of one, breeders around the country usually talk to each other to make sure whoever is closest responds if necessary and the breeder is located if possible. We try to keep our ear out for Pyrs in need (note to everyone - if you EVER hear of a Pyr in need, contact a Pyr breeder or the Pyr Club in Victoria - we cant help if we don't know!)

One of the rescues stayed for life when I didn't feel I could place her elsewhere due to her issues ('Liza Jane' in the 'in memory' section of my webpage). I have helped out in different ways in the past (assessment, contacts, foster, transport) for Pyr, Pyr crosses and the odd other breed as well. I generally stick nowdays to being prepared to help out any Pyr in need when required, including helping any owners (of any Pyr) who are having difficulties, with advice or guidance so they can hopefully help themselves before if becomes a real rescue issue.

I do breed and rescue but I am always very aware of the risk I place my dogs in and am very careful. One case of parvo at my house would mean the end of breeding for me. I only take dogs that have been quarantined elsewhere and would not risk my well planned litter with puppies that could have been exposed to all manner of diseases.

Thanks guys this is what I wanted to hear :)

It's the same with our breed if there is one in need we all try to work together :)

I'm currently on foster care list for big dogs and mums and bubs with Melbourne Animal Rescue who are purely fostercare based there is no shelter so if you do know anyone who would like to foster They are great.

I was going to take on foster puppies when my girl had her 2 dead puppies earlier in the year but I was just so devastated I couldn't bring myself to do it :(

I do have a little purebred dog here at the moment lady wanted $500 for him but when I found out some of the lies surrounding him she surrendered him to me.

I'm having him desexed and vet work done tomorrow and ive already found him a wonderful home :)

Another breeder I am in contact with has taken in 6 malt/shitz that a byb dumped. 3 x 5 week old puppies matted to the skin!! The male dog had been walking on a broken leg where the bone was protruding for long enough that all the nerves were dead... He had it removed yesterday.

In my experience most breeders in my breed will take back what they have bred, and most contribute to rescue in some way: transport, shelter liaison, cash, fostering, and/or placement. Fostering is not the only way to contribute to rescue.

I think it depends a lot on whether your breed has a ton of BYB and rescue dogs or just the odd one - staffordshire bull terrier breeders can't hope to clean up all the mess created by staffie BYBing. I think it also depends how easy it is to place your breed, we don't get many, but they are much harder to place responsibly. That's why breeders and those familiar with the breed are in a much better position to place dogs than all breeds rescue is.

If you'd raised this 6 months ago I would have commented that we don't get many rescues. We're in a bit of a spike at the moment tho'. IMO most of the rescue situations tend to arise because of not too rigorous placement or people deciding to sell or giveaway their dogs without the support of the breeder (or even consulting in many cases). The usual I guess. So while most do the right thing, you can still end up with a lot in rescue comparatively speaking, particularly if you get a large unregistered litter.

I personally believe that part of my responsibility to my breed is contributing to placing or appropriately euthing those dogs in my breed that are in need. I know some feel that if they didn't breed the dog it's not their issue but I feel it's part of looking after the future of the breed, just as responsible breeding is.

Miss Maddy, let vets in your area know if you are willing to take in a couple of orphan pups. But! be very careful who and where you accept any pups from. No way I would be putting some BYB or puppy farm pup within cooee of my precious baby.

l was just talking about this last night with OH, we have taken in dogs from our breed in the past, l have one at the moment that either the breeder could not or would not assist with. However a friend of mine recently took one in to rehome and now is dealing a number of her dogs having KC. As is so often the case the owners had lied about the situation the dog was in. l can't imagine alot of breeders have the set up to take in foster dogs and quarantine them and l know alot of breeders are working with the maximum number of dogs their council will permit. l think if you breed you should be willing to help rescue if you can't there are other ways to assist.

l was just talking about this last night with OH, we have taken in dogs from our breed in the past, l have one at the moment that either the breeder could not or would not assist with. However a friend of mine recently took one in to rehome and now is dealing a number of her dogs having KC. As is so often the case the owners had lied about the situation the dog was in. l can't imagine alot of breeders have the set up to take in foster dogs and quarantine them and l know alot of breeders are working with the maximum number of dogs their council will permit. l think if you breed you should be willing to help rescue if you can't there are other ways to assist.

By breeding you are helping the welfare of your breed, by providing information to the public and preventing potential rescue / welfare situations in the first place.

I dont know what else a good breeder can or should do, other than ensure the future of their chosen breed(s).

Edited by lilli

Miss Maddy, let vets in your area know if you are willing to take in a couple of orphan pups. But! be very careful who and where you accept any pups from. No way I would be putting some BYB or puppy farm pup within cooee of my precious baby.

Very true Your dogs should come first before rescue!!!

Very true Your dogs should come first before rescue!!!

This is my greatest concern, the idea of bringing in anything that could risk the life of the already precious single puppy my girl has really worries me. I think I'd rather go through a rescue organisation who has some degree of controls and health checks, etc, but I don't even know where to start on getting her to accept and raise other puppies, especially as hers isn't even on the ground yet.

I always have space available for an Australian Shepherd in need & will take on dogs that need desexing & rehoming regardless of where they came from, luckily alot of breeders take back dogs they have bred if need be, but for those that don't, I feel its helpful to the breed if I take them on desex them & place them in suitable lifelong homes, luckily its rare that I need to do this :thumbsup:

Short answer - yes. Long answer, in many ways, and not always by fostering. I have fostered many dogs over the last few years, sighthounds of various breeds as well as poundies including crossbreds.

But this year I haven't, as I had a litter planned. I can't risk my bitch or pups. But... I have still helped with things like transport and some temp/overnight care etc. Plus networking can't be overlooked. Being in contact with other breeders and owners open to rescue, as well as rescue groups and foster carers can be vital for helping dogs in need.

Like SSM said, there has been a spike in sighthound rescue and I have been banging my head against the wall for being unable to foster at such a busy time. But the networking makes it work, I offer what I can, whether a little or a lot. Then through communication with others we all pull together to help dogs that need it.

I also know of folks who can't take in fosters for reasons like renting, dog limits etc. They can still be passionate and help out in so many ways.

I coordinate Dogue de Bordeaux rescue and have quite an excellent network of breeders in Australia who help with fostering. I have waiting lists most times for rescues (as to buy pups it's quite expensive) but even so, I can usually desex and rehome within 3 weeks. Most are not from pounds, as people are often just referred to me directly when looking to surrender.

We produce a calendar every year that we sell to top up the rescue fund, and keep us afloat. Luckily we have had money to cover most things, and we've had no major health issues (or those that have, we've been able to get treatment donated or 'mates rates').

It's can be time consuming and sometimes a little frustrating and stressful, but on the whole, very rewarding when the families keep in touch and send you updates :D

Yes, breeders should take their dogs back if needed, but unfortunately, there are lots of BYB's now that are not registered so we have no way of tracking them down - and likewise, the vast majority of DDB breeders are not ethical, and give a 'driveway guarantee' - once it leaves their driveway - it's no longer their problem - so it's left to us to pick up the pieces.

Edited by wednesday