Face Swollen - Likely To Be An Allergic Reaction

**Super_Dogs**

This morning I dropped my 6 month old lab at the vet as her face started swelling up. Firstly her nose (a big lump on the ridge of her nose which is why I noticed) then her eye and then her lip. (You would not believe she was only at the vet Tuesday as she got into some rubbish as was being sick!!!).

About 5 months ago another of my dogs (her mum) face swelled up like a balloon and she was vomiting. It was the weekend so I took her to the emergency and they kept her in as she also has an increased heart rate. They think it was likely she was bitten by something.

In all my years I have never had this happen and now twice in 6 months!!! My pups face was not as bad as her mums, but I had to go to work today and I did not want to leave her at home by herself in case the swelling increased and her reaction got as extreme as her mums did.

Nothing in her diet has changed, and there is nothing new in the yard, so I am guessing this morning when she went out to the toilet she was bitten by something. She sleeps in a crate so she would not have got into anything during the night.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you think it was an insect bite?

If it happens again is there something I can give the dogs to avoid the vet visit?

Edited by buddy1

Hope your girl is Ok :) facial /head swelling can be dangerous sometimes .. if swelling is inside the throat as well.. and can be a big problem !

If it happens again is there something I can give the dogs to avoid the vet visit?

Ask your vet this question, I think .. that way you get advice pertinent to your dog ...and that you know is safe .

bees are a common cause of this .. the dog sniffs them, or tries to catch them .. and Bzzt!

Edited by persephone

My GSD Lola was stung by a bee and her whole face swelled so much that she looked more like a Shar Pei and was running around banging her head off the walls :( Of course it had to be a Sunday so visit to the emergency vets .....that was a very expensive little bee ;)

post-14529-0-41519700-1313027323_thumb.jpg

This is what happened when my boy got bitten. He got cortisone at home and then to the vets for anti-histamine and more cortisone from memory.

(This is looking down under his head - that's his nose at the bottom).

One of our Aussie terriers bit a bee that stung her on Christmas Day and we were up in the country away from vets! Luckily it was on the side of her mouth and didn't interfere with her breathing! Finding a vet that was open Xmas day was impossible- had to go to Werribee from Castlemaine! And even then we had to wait until Boxing Day (we're going back about 15 years here)

We have had a number of ours stung and suffer from mild to severe allergic reactions.

Two of our pups were stung by wasps at the same time, one had a mild reaction with swelling and the other went into shock and had to have an adrenaline injection. The problem with wasps is that, unlike bees that can sting only once, wasps are capable of multiple stings, making things much worse.

Just recently, 2 of our pups living in different States were stung or bitten by something on the same day, with the same reaction - swollen face, closed up eyes etc! Very spooky indeed! :eek:

We now carry 2 different types of anti-histamines with us in the car and in the first aid kit at home, in case we have another issue.

Thanks everyone for your emails. Good to know I am not the only one :)

SPS - this is alittle like what Mieka was like this morning when I took.

Loopy Lola - My other dog was also puffed up like this when she got bitten earlier this this. Poor thing.

Just spoke to the vet and he says it would have been a bee. He is giving me some medication, so I have it on hand if it happens again!!!

This happened to Kyah a few months ago. It was about 8.30 - 9pm at night from memory, and the OH had gone out in the car for something so I was home by myself. First thing I noticed was that she could not keep still, scratching her face, running around and hiding, I thought she was just being silly, so told her to go and lie down. Literally a couple of minutes later I noticed that her eyes looked a bit red and puffy and figured it was from all the scratching she had been doing. It only took minutes for her whole face to swell up and she also started to get hives all over her body.

I panicked, rang OH and told him to hurry up and get home because she needed to go to the vet. I think I was pacing the whole while until he got home. Anyhow, we rang the vet when he got home and she said that it sounded like an allergic reaction to something, and that normal human anti-histamenes should do the job. OH took her with him to the nearest 24hr chemist and picked some up and within half an hour or something she was back to normal, albeit a little tired.

She never had any breathing difficulties, but we guessed it was a bee.

First thing I noticed was that she could not keep still, scratching her face, running around and hiding, I thought she was just being silly, so told her to go and lie down. Literally a couple of minutes later I noticed that her eyes looked a bit red and puffy and figured it was from all the scratching she had been doing.

I did the same thing when it happend to my other dog earlier this year.

I noticed she kept moving and scatching, so I told her to stop it. She walked away but was still moving and sctratching. I stopped what I was doing to see what was going on - she looked up at me with a completly swollen face!

Seems to be a problem with Labs going by this thread!! eek1.giflaugh.gif

My Ruby has been bitten twice, what we think is a bee sting but as we've never seen the bee or the sting, we will never be 100% certain.

$250 emergency vet bill later to get my Lab X Shar Pei looking more like a Lab again.....

262326_10150219923493036_585378035_7520499_1932859_n.jpg

260096_10150219921933036_585378035_7520468_5656877_n.jpg

The vet gave me some extra tablets to give Ruby in the event it happens again. I also now have antihistamines in my car. But if it happens again, she will still be taken to the vets as this second sting took forever to go down and needed 2 injections, and tablets the following day when she was still puffy. I heard the more it happens, the more severe each reaction becomes :( So I won't be mucking around, tablets in my girl and straight to the vet!!

Happened to one of our horses once, he was bitten by a wasp on his nose and his whole face swelled up! Poor guy. We had the vet over to him pretty quickly. He was fine, but we always had a needle in the fridge ready for him after that, none of the other horses reacted nearly as abdly as he did.

The vet gave me some extra tablets to give Ruby in the event it happens again. I also now have antihistamines in my car. But if it happens again, she will still be taken to the vets as this second sting took forever to go down and needed 2 injections, and tablets the following day when she was still puffy. I heard the more it happens, the more severe each reaction becomes :( So I won't be mucking around, tablets in my girl and straight to the vet!!

The vet is going to give me some tablets when I pick up my pup today in case in happens again. :D But if it is really bad, like the other time this happen earlier this year when my dogs was vomitting, I will still be heading to the vet.