Do Any Breeds Fit This Criteria?

aussielover

Hungarian Vizsla

[English] Pointer

Curly Coated Retriever

Wouldn't Curly Coated Retrievers be too big?

The two that I have met were both bigger than a GSD.

Maybe PF means Muarry River Curly Coat... because Curly Coated Retrievers are the tallest retrievers, so that would put them at at least 30kgs, probably bigger.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hungarian Vizsla

[English] Pointer

Curly Coated Retriever

Wouldn't Curly Coated Retrievers be too big?

The two that I have met were both bigger than a GSD.

I must have missed the "not to be too big" criteria. I certainly wouldnt' think there'd be many MRCCR's in the UK. :(

One thing I forgot (though how I could when I was born and lived there for 27 years) is how muddy the UK countryside is. Went back last January and it was wellington boots every day, rain or shine.

If your parents don't want to do much grooming I would go the pointer or another short coated breed.

Someone mentioned welsh springers, that is my dad's heart breed. We have had about 10 (including pups) over the years growing up in the UK. They very definitely require coat attention, feet trimming, burrs taken out between toes, we trim back the feathering on the chest, legs and feet, top of the neck and the ears. Otherwise they are mud collectors :laugh:

They are a lovely happy breed but I would not call their coats low maintenance... this is George in the UK in the flowers :)

post-23277-0-83157500-1313635297_thumb.jpg

The criteria is:

- a medium size dog: maximum size would be Mindy size (25kg lab) but preferably in the 15-20 kg range

- a wash and wear, short coat, no longer than the length of a lab (obviously shedding is not an issue lol).

- easy to train and eager to please

- friendly disposition, would prefer a more velcro type dog rather than an independent dog.

- energetic enough to do long all-day walks (up to 20 miles a day) at least several times a week but also willing to chill out at home when not walking, so not hyper all of the time.

- A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable.

I can only think of a Brittany at this stage- I dont really know much about them and their coat seems to be variable with some dogs having fairly short "thin" coats and some having thicker coats wit more feathering. The temperament and energy levels and size seem about right though.

Everything here suggests to me Staffordshire Bull Terrier of the right family/chosen temperament - (low prey drive - yes they do exist)

In the UK there are huge numbers of the breed in rescue so it wouldn't be too difficult to find a young adult which has been temperament assessed.

Cardigan corgi.......might be a bit short but are apparently very, very nice dogs with great dispositions.

A 'yes' from me, too. A Cardigan Corgi might be a bit short for the criteria, but their great dispositions make it worth letting that go by. Our family owned one when we were kids & she was so adaptable and totally trustworthy. I think this breed is one of the hidden gems in the dog world.

Another that's worth looking into is the Smooth Collie. I've not owned one myself but have been impressed with some owned by others.

Are they looking at getting a puppy or an adult? I just remember a number of threads by you when mindy was a pup... And they didn't seem terribly forgiving of her 'puppyness'... Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick, I just thought I'd put it out there

OT, but how is mindys skin issues going?

Guest english.ivy

I vote for a female english Pointer. Very sticky to their family, very easy care coat; don't need brushing.

My 18 month male Pointer has an off switch but if I want him to, he'll go all day. He is happy to do whatever I feel like doing.

Belgian Shepherds also sound suitable but they need brushing quite a bit and can be herd chasers.

Are they looking at getting a puppy or an adult? I just remember a number of threads by you when mindy was a pup... And they didn't seem terribly forgiving of her 'puppyness'... Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick, I just thought I'd put it out there

You're right!

They'll be looking for an older puppy or young adult.

Although I think they'll be more relaxed in the countryside with a larger yard and floorboard/tiles throughout the house (which they will have done before they get a dog). We had carpet unfortunately.

Also they'll be retired so have more time to devote to the dog.

Mindy's still doing desensitization injections. She's not on any systemic immunosuppressants at the moment which I am happy with.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, it has definitely given my mum some interesting suggestions. We got out the Dog Books this morning and had a look at the of the breeds suggested.

She liked:

Brittany

Smooth Collie

Pointer (although she thinks they'll be too big)

Small Labrador

You're right!

They'll be looking for an older puppy or young adult.

Although I think they'll be more relaxed in the countryside with a larger yard and floorboard/tiles throughout the house (which they will have done before they get a dog). We had carpet unfortunately.

Also they'll be retired so have more time to devote to the dog.

Mindy's still doing desensitization injections. She's not on any systemic immunosuppressants at the moment which I am happy with.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, it has definitely given my mum some interesting suggestions. We got out the Dog Books this morning and had a look at the of the breeds suggested.

She liked:

Brittany

Smooth Collie

Pointer (although she thinks they'll be too big)

Small Labrador

Pointers are probably slightly bigger than the idea size she has in her head but they tick everyone of her other boxes so I really think you should convince her to meet a few before ruling them out. :thumbsup:

So they are off to england? If they are and she decides to investigate pointers more tell her to check this site out http://www.ledgands.co.uk/

Vizsla! My boy is small, he's only 20kg and no bigger than my kelpie. He's got fully imported English lines... all his sibs are reasonably small too (and two halfs) so Im not sure if the breeding has anything to do with it? Hes drip dry, and only smells when he rolls in muck. Best dogs ever....

Aussielover

Maybe they could check out some UK dog shows and meet some of these dogs face to face and see what they think.

I can't tell a Brittany from a Welsh Springer looking at them - ok the Welsh springer are more often that sort of apricot - tan and white and Brittanies come in more colour varieties. The temperment is different - the ones I've met - the Brittany is a bit more independent - likely to go off and do their own thing than the Welsh Springer - definitely a velcro dog.

For easy care coat - you can't go past the Vislas though I do also like the smooth (short coat) collies - though these can be tall.

I've seen some short labradors but never a small one. And I don't think of them as velcro dogs - unless you've got food in your pocket. And I know quite a few mud loving/seeking labs.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

The criteria is:

- a medium size dog: maximum size would be Mindy size (25kg lab) but preferably in the 15-20 kg range

- a wash and wear, short coat, no longer than the length of a lab (obviously shedding is not an issue lol).

- easy to train and eager to please

- friendly disposition, would prefer a more velcro type dog rather than an independent dog.

- energetic enough to do long all-day walks (up to 20 miles a day) at least several times a week but also willing to chill out at home when not walking, so not hyper all of the time.

- A strong herding instinct or high prey drive would also not be suitable.

I can only think of a Brittany at this stage- I dont really know much about them and their coat seems to be variable with some dogs having fairly short "thin" coats and some having thicker coats wit more feathering. The temperament and energy levels and size seem about right though.

A Brittany does tick all the boxes.

They are in the weight range you have mentioned

Brittanys are groomed for the showring, but when a pet a good metal comb is a great thing to have, comb them through around 1-2 times a week, paying attention to all the feathering, as well as the feathering between the paws, very easy to dog, and maybe a bit of a brush afterwards.

A Brittany needs training, trained in the right way they are fantastic

Brittanys really do love everyone and are very affectionate, mine will try anything to get pats from other people

They do love excerise, Bella was doing all day walks still at 10. They are pretty relaxed inside, but of course might play up as a puppy and will still want a wonder outside during the day.

The Brittany coat can be straight or wavy. The ones you see with the 'thinner' coats have probably been groomed for the showring where there is clipping and/or stripping/thinning involved. It is still easy enough to comb through when they haven't been groomed.

Everything here suggests to me Staffordshire Bull Terrier of the right family/chosen temperament - (low prey drive - yes they do exist)

In the UK there are huge numbers of the breed in rescue so it wouldn't be too difficult to find a young adult which has been temperament assessed.

i agree, Kaos is just as happy to hang around at home doing nothing as she would be going out walking all day.

Get a SBT :D

What about an Entelbucher Mountain Dog?

http://www.entlebucher.co.uk/index.html

These are my perfect dogs. I think they are stunning and I wish there were some here in Australia. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to import some. I think these dogs are why I love the black tri Aussies above all the other colours Aussies come in.

Wow I think mum would love these. She also loves the black tri aussies Gayle!

And they have a nice easy coat as well!

I wasn't aware that they were in the UK.

Thanks!