Are Apples Good For Dogs?

There's an old adage saying an apple a day keeps the doctor away and I'm wondering how this fairs in the world of dogs. We have 2 apple trees in my backyard and Zeus has taught Kirah-Little how to pull apples off the low branches to eat them (he does this too but also stands on his hind legs to reach the higher branches!!) so I was wondering if they're okay for them to eat.

Can apples aid in keeping teeth clean or provide any nutritional value other than being a tasty treat?

Yep apple seeds contain cyanide so fed in a high quantity they are dangerous. Not sure how much apple seed classifies as a "high" amount though.

You could feed cored apples :) As PF said, it's a source of fibre. My guys love apples and pears.

Edited by Mim

LOL - I do worry about the apple seed thing - so I usually stop Rory after 3 Granny Smith apples in one evening :laugh: - luckily he usually brings them inside to eat, so I can keep track. Apricots - now that's a whole nother story - they get consumed on the spot - the dogs have learned to eat around the stones - although one used to split the stones as a puppy - thankfully, no problems there either, although the kernels also have cyanide.

ETA - a thing I worry about with them getting apples off the tree or off the ground is European wasps, which will sometmies be in the apple.

Edited by Tassie

LOL - I do worry about the apple seed thing - so I usually stop Rory after 3 Granny Smith apples in one evening :laugh: - luckily he usually brings them inside to eat, so I can keep track. Apricots - now that's a whole nother story - they get consumed on the spot - the dogs have learned to eat around the stones - although one used to split the stones as a puppy - thankfully, no problems there either, although the kernels also have cyanide.

ETA - a thing I worry about with them getting apples off the tree or off the ground is European wasps, which will sometmies be in the apple.

I thought of you straight away when I first read this thread. I remember visiting you & seeing your lovely apple trees which your dogs seemed to love. Our dogs like mandarins, though we try to remove all seeds.

Most fruits are fine for dogs in small amounts, and many dogs enjoy a fruit meal. Unless pulped or blended they won't extract much nutritional benefit from it however, as they can't digest the cellulose in plant matter. They will however provide fibre and enjoyment! Toxic levels of most fruits like apple seeds, avocado skin and grapes are quite high and not usually a concern for the average sized pet eating it as part of a balanced diet.