A Tale Lacking Oodles Of Poodles

witheverythingiam

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/stress-of-having-a-pup-lands-in-tribunal/story-fn7x8me2-1226118773599

IT'S a world where money changes hands for sex, and when the clients aren't satisfied, it ends up in court.

Victoria's dog-breeding circuit's dirty dog laundry is being aired in a tribunal. Two women have launched claims and counter-claims over the failed mating of a poodle.

On one side of the ring is Melbourne's Val Roberts, 68, who has spent 50 years breeding and showing toy poodles.

On the other is Deborah Ludowyk, 45, from Geelong, who claims all she wanted was to get her bitch pregnant and produce a nice puppy to keep as a pet.

The only thing both agree on is that Ms Ludowyk paid Mrs Roberts a $1500 stud fee, but Ms Ludowyk's bitch, Sophie, failed to get pregnant in 2009.

There was no lack of romance between Sophie and Mrs Roberts' stud, Robby, but there was no conception. And now it is too late: Robby died earlier this year after being bitten by a spider.

The dispute is before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. Ms Ludowyk is seeking the return of her $1500 stud fee.

She said outside the tribunal that when she took Sophie back for a second mating, Robby wasn't interested.

She said it became "too stressful" to arrange a subsequent mating and all she wanted was her money back.

"The past 20 months have been a disaster," she said. "I am not a dog breeder. I just wanted to breed one good dog to show as a hobby."

Mrs Roberts said she had repeatedly offered more matings, but had now lost Robby, a proven stud dog. "These dogs are my heart and soul," she said.

VCAT is yet to make a ruling.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/stress-of-having-a-pup-lands-in-tribunal/story-fn7x8me2-1226118773599

IT'S a world where money changes hands for sex, and when the clients aren't satisfied, it ends up in court.

Victoria's dog-breeding circuit's dirty dog laundry is being aired in a tribunal. Two women have launched claims and counter-claims over the failed mating of a poodle.

On one side of the ring is Melbourne's Val Roberts, 68, who has spent 50 years breeding and showing toy poodles.

On the other is Deborah Ludowyk, 45, from Geelong, who claims all she wanted was to get her bitch pregnant and produce a nice puppy to keep as a pet.

The only thing both agree on is that Ms Ludowyk paid Mrs Roberts a $1500 stud fee, but Ms Ludowyk's bitch, Sophie, failed to get pregnant in 2009.

There was no lack of romance between Sophie and Mrs Roberts' stud, Robby, but there was no conception. And now it is too late: Robby died earlier this year after being bitten by a spider.

The dispute is before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. Ms Ludowyk is seeking the return of her $1500 stud fee.

She said outside the tribunal that when she took Sophie back for a second mating, Robby wasn't interested.

She said it became "too stressful" to arrange a subsequent mating and all she wanted was her money back.

"The past 20 months have been a disaster," she said. "I am not a dog breeder. I just wanted to breed one good dog to show as a hobby."

Mrs Roberts said she had repeatedly offered more matings, but had now lost Robby, a proven stud dog. "These dogs are my heart and soul," she said.

Apparently no progesterone tests were done on the bitch. And for someone that says all she wanted was to get her bitch pregnant and produce a nice puppy to keep as a pet, she sure has re-homed a lot of adults in the past year. Also is it not perjury to claim you're not a dog breeder when in fact you are a registered breeder and have bred dogs??? Hmmm

Edited by poodiful1

Apparently no progesterone tests were done on the bitch. And for someone that says "these dogs are my heart and soul" she sure has re-homed a lot of adults in the past year. Also is it not perjury to claim you're not a dog breeder when in fact you are a registered breeder and have bred dogs??? Hmmm

I think it was the lady who had the bitch that said she was not a breeder. Not the breeder who studded out her male dog.

Apparently no progesterone tests were done on the bitch. And for someone that says "these dogs are my heart and soul" she sure has re-homed a lot of adults in the past year. Also is it not perjury to claim you're not a dog breeder when in fact you are a registered breeder and have bred dogs??? Hmmm

I think it was the lady who had the bitch that said she was not a breeder. Not the breeder who studded out her male dog.

they are both registered breeders. Also if she wanted to show, she would have done so already. I know more about her than I'd care to tell just in case I get into trouble.

Edited by poodiful1

Whats the problem?

She paid a stud fee and had the dog studded. She agrees they had sex.

She wasnt paying money for a pregnancy or a puppy but for sex. She got that - should shut up.

Edited by Steve

My stud contracts are very clear - you pay for sex .If we see sex you pay - full stop. I know others think that s terrible and the stud dog owner should cover repeat matings if there is no pregnancy or if there is a small number of puppies but Ive been bitten enough and around long enough to take money for sex and if we decide on anything else its because Im a nice lady and not because its expected.

Edited by Steve

Whats the problem?

She paid a stud fee and had the dog studded. She agrees they had sex.

She wasnt paying money for a pregnancy or a puppy but for sex. She got that - should shut up.

agree. When you are paying for a stud, you are paying for the service. Providing the dog is fertile, once her serves her, his done his job.

Edited by ReadySetGo

I suppose it does amount to what each party agreed to & if they have honoured the agreement

I would not feel right about taking someones money for a mating that did not produce any puppies regardless of what or which dog was the problem.

It just wouldn't feel right for me personally. I would have refunded her money.

The issues of why the breeder wanted the stud, why the other breeder allowed the stud use, the purpose of the pup & all the other things are not really relevant.

Guess the final decision will be based on was she paying for her dog to have sex or paying for her dog to have puppies.

I would be interested in knowing outcome.

Humm I thing that bugs me is that he didn't let her have a second chance most breeders I know if their bitch didn't get preggers first time they normally provid a second meeting and then thats it if the male dog has the problem then she should get a refund but she needs to prove it's not her dog that is the problem which will be hard. But it sounds like there was no contract so she will just be laughed out of court. And next time she needs to make sure there is a contract and she should read it first

Atanquin, I thought it said that she was offered another mating but didnt take it and now the stud is dead.

With the sheps we always had a contract which basically said if the bitch produces less than 3 live puppies they can have a repeat mating to that bitch or another bitch registered in their name. The reasoning behind this was that with three puppies, one paid for the stud, one paid the vet bills and one for them to keep.

Still working out what the best number is on shelties, they have smaller litters.

I suppose it does amount to what each party agreed to & if they have honoured the agreement

I would not feel right about taking someones money for a mating that did not produce any puppies regardless of what or which dog was the problem.

It just wouldn't feel right for me personally. I would have refunded her money.

The issues of why the breeder wanted the stud, why the other breeder allowed the stud use, the purpose of the pup & all the other things are not really relevant.

Guess the final decision will be based on was she paying for her dog to have sex or paying for her dog to have puppies.

I would be interested in knowing outcome.

It is very interesting the slant on dog breeding.

In the horse world most matings come with a "live foal guarantee". There is always the option of substituting a failed conception with another mare.

Very important to have a contract or very clear understanding of what is involved.

I guess I was lucky that the Stud Dog owner had no qualms about letting us try the next season time when the first mating attempt failed.

I guess it has to be made very clear on the onset what happens if no conception occurs.

Repeat mating was offered, she didn't take the bitch back, she had plenty of time, the dog died only 2 months ago, she had almost a year and a half to go back. I doubt that she even has the same bitch, I've seen many ads here for adult dogs in the short amount of time she's been a member.