Lengths Male Dogs Will Go To

dotdashdot

Hi,

I have an entire female dalmatian (we plan to show her) nearing 6 months... we live with the in laws and I'm having trouble convincing them that a male dog WILL climb or dig under the colourbond fence and WILL climb the other fence on the courtyard. There may not be great footing on either fence but a determined dog will do what it takes right?

I've seen my parent's dog mated at 6 months when a mutt climbed our fences which were 2m tall (but climbable apparently)and she had to have an abortion. Luckily we knew the owner who paid for the costs of his roaming dog (it was a known roamer).

Can anyone here tell me YOUR stories of seeing a determined dog get to a female? We've decided to buy a petsafe kennel run which we will put a roof on but from the frosty reception at the dinner table- this isn't welcomed.

Much appreciated =]

Thanks, will take note and make it difficult to dig into the run. We plan on placing it in a highly visible area to those to stay at home most. Luckily someone is home 90% of the time.

I know that male dogs will smell her from quite a distance and come-a-running. Its great that we live in a relaxed beach side village but I fear some people are too relaxed about their dogs getting out.

In my case I had a really horny female who did anything to get out to get a man :laugh:

She was a Bull Arab type rescue dog who was in heat when I got her so we had to wait to desex. She jumped out the front window of my house, htrough the screen and with a large drop, to try and have a bit of action with a stray Maltese walking past.

Ohhh, I don't know how the breeders do it.

The two males I have at home have never been an issue when my bitch is in.

They are up one end of the house, she is in the other, seperated with babygates and always under supervision and we swap them around. When I got out everyone is crated (but they always are).

They don't howl, cry, scream or mark. The worst part is Misty who wont eat for about 3 days.

My imported dog however has broken threw a chain link fence, jumped over 6 foot fences, screams, pulls, marks. I am so so so glad he dosnt live with me :laugh:

My entire Rotti male a few years back wouldn't touch a bitch in heat unless I told him he could... damn, I miss that boy!

Just to be on the safe side though, I would board my bitch at the local vet clinic when she was in the receptive time of her season... better safe than sorry I reckon, and my girl loved our vet clinic staff... *grin*

I have seen dogs tied through a paling fence... not a pretty sight! And they are very loud when stuck like that too!

T.

My bitch has just come out of season and my entire male was fine. She stayed in the house while we were at work then they'd be in different rooms in the evening. He whined and whimpered a lot but he didn't try too hard to break doors down.

Previously we'd locked her in the courtyard and him in the backyard, each with a neutered companion and he didn't manage to get to her, although that time he made a hell of a racket.

Personally I wouldnt take the risk of my girl going to a kennel. For all I know some kennel hand may let her in with another dog by accident.

Can you send her back to her breeder or board the dog?

Give kennels a tad more credit there not idiots .

Many kennels board bitchs during there peak time or do day board whilst there at work.

Formany this is the best option unless everyone at home follows the rules.

Most don;t want the messin the house either

Also you need to remember it isn;y always the males that are a problem some bitches will also go to great lengths to find a mate.

If you plan to use this run then get her use to it before season time so it feels normal,to many people change the home routine & the dogs don't adjust either & you don't wont a screamer

Showdog

I didnt say they were all idiots.

All I said was I wouldnt do it because I am not comfortable with the idea.

I use to manage a kennel and unfortunatly I did work with some people who didnt do things the right way and I am not willing to take the chance with my girl.

Also you need to remember it isn;y always the males that are a problem some bitches will also go to great lengths to find a mate.

My very first dog over 30 years was the result of a bitch jumping the fence to get to the dog tied up. So you need to know your bitch can't get out as well as a dog not getting in.

I'm another that has seen bitches go to greater lengths than dogs. I've seen one who was just under 30kg smash through a solid timber gate - treated pine, and new not old.

Although I've heard of males chewing through timber and or digging under colourbond. Add to that the stories of tying through wire - especially chainlink which provides physical support.

My young male screamed the place down the last time we had a bitch in season, and continually tried to climb over or bite through solid welded wire to get to her. We had to have him locked in the dog trailer when she was in a run to stop him injuring himself. When she was shut in the kennel/ shed he could be out but he was still nuts. If she was in sight the screaming, trying to climb and fence biting was on. No doubt if we didn't have the secure pen he would've got in or hurt himself (or her) trying!

I have friends who found their whippet tied with a big boofheaded mutt in their own backyard - with six foot colourbond fences. Once they untied he jumped the fence in one leap and was away. Bitch was off for an emergency spay which they had been putting off anyway. She had previously had one purebred litter which ended in a c-section as her pelvis was very narrow. A crossbred (especially boof-headed) litter could've spelt disaster!!

Edited by Alyosha

I'm another that has seen bitches go to greater lengths than dogs.

Another one here - I had a Border Collie bitch that was an absolute shocker when she was in season. She had to be crated (with locks on the door or she'd open the latches!! :eek: ), and only exercised/toileted under strict supervision - I found this out the hard way when I let her out for a two minute pee run one night at 11.30pm before I went to bed. We had an outside toilet and so I went to the loo while she had a pee, I was in there for maybe a minute... came out, called her and no sign of her. Got my then OH up out of bed, we armed ourselves with torches and proceeded to scour the backyard (it was a 3/4 of an acre block). After about 15 mins we heard the faintest peep from the rear neighbours' yard, rushed over and found my minimum height (barely 18") BC bitch had jumped a 5 foot fence and had raped the neighbour's virgin Rottweiler. They were tied, she was down on her front in a play-bow position with her bum as high as she could get it! Poor boy didn't know what had hit him, he looked rather stunned :rofl:

The little cow wouldn't normally jump into the back of the car unassisted! :mad Off to the vets we went... :o:laugh:

When we got my rescue dog Jessie we were going to arrange to have her desexed, but she went into heat a very short time after we had adopted her. The vet advised us to wait until she wasn't on heat to have her desexed. Well an old dog who lived around the corner jumped our fence to get to her (before we knew his name he was nicknamed "Batman" because he flew over our fence with ease). They were stopped (must have been before anything happened) and Jessie was then booked in to be desexed and she recovered absolutely fine. For years afterwards her canine boyfriend continued to visit and they got along very well, Jessie would look out the front door if you asked her where he was. He would come over and hang out here, and at times he wouldn't want to leave. He was an older boy so unfortunately he isn't alive anymore, but he was a lovely dog!

I just loved that he continued to visit here for so long afterwards :laugh: .

Edited by fainty_girl

About 30 years ago my mum used to just le the dog out, like they often did back then :eek: He was a mongrel about lab size. One day a man knocked on the door with the dog on a rope. Dog had an owner tag on his collar. Man said many dogs had been after his female dog that guarded his scrapyard but they couldn't get over the 8 foot fence, chain link. Except this old man who he could not help but admire even though it was a nuisance. He asked how old the dog was. The dog was 18 years old. Some guys never give up.

I also had a dalmation that ate a hole through my back door & got out after me. He tore at the doorknob until it made a small hole & commenced from there until it was big enough for him to climb through. Whole new door was put in, with a small handle high up.

My girl does not try to escape but she does yodel to all the local dogs that she is ready and waiting for them :rofl:. My male has no clue what so ever about females, he is far too interested in playing with males for any of that silly business lmao.

If you can't keep everyone on board with rules when your girl is on heat then you may need to tell your partner that your baby doesn't want babies so a week in a comfy boarding kennel, or friends place that will keep her indoors might not be optional.

Bitch inside Vari kennel, male loose in room - 7 puppies

Dog and bitch tied through poole fencing, chainlink fencing and weldmesh

Dog climbed two metre mesh bitch yard and found tied with bitch at around midnight

Bitch cleared 6 foot fence (first time ever) gone for half an hour 9 weeks later 9 puppies

Many many crossebred litters by dogs jumping back fences of varying heights up to and over 6 feet high..

Ridgeback bitch went through a glass window not once but twice to meet her Dobermann beau waiting outside

Dog traveled 20kms to mate with a greyhound through weldmesh - 6 babies.

dog travelled over 10kms 6 babies.

Do not risk it a colourbond fence will not stop dogs getting to your bitch, or your bitch from looking for a mate. You need a strong dog run with a solid dig proof floor, a roof and very small mesh.