Old Dog Survey.

Blackdogs

If you currently have, or have had in the past, an older dog, I would be interested to find out the following:

a) Breed:

b) Age:

c) Diet:

d) Supplements:

e) Exercise regime:

f) Temperament:

g) Prior/current health concerns:

h) Living arrangements:

i) Pictures!

No one seems to be able to pinpoint a common denominator in canine longevity, so perhaps this small-scale study will provide some enlightenment.

Disclaimer: This is not an official study, just something to sate my interest. :thumbsup:

We have had many old dogs ...

a) Breed:

Koolies & Koolie x's , border collies,kelpies ...

b) Age:

mid teens, mostly.

c) Diet:

Mostly fresh and raw, but dry as well- bonnies, Uncle Albers

d) Supplements:

_

e) Exercise regime:

Worked very hard for most of their lives... then self exercising

f) Temperament:

Fine :)

g) Prior/current health concerns:

None mostly apart from the deaf/blind thing . One or two malignancies late in their lives , one had a stroke .

h) Living arrangements:

outdoor... kennels .

Not sure if mine were old enough but will give my answers if they will help as I am also interested :)

a) Breed: Staffordshire Bull Terrier not registered ped

b) Age:14 and a bit

c) Diet: dry food, Bonnie, Optimum and now Black Hawk as well as meat bones, sardines, yoghurt odd dit of dog roll and Natures gift tinned

d) Supplements: Joint Restore, did you want medication or just "other" stuff?

e) Exercise regime: Pretty much free exercise and lead walking odd trip to the beach

f) Temperament: Laid back - read you nudge him with your foot to make sure he is still alive!!!

g) Prior/current health concerns: Allergies, atopy, since 14 months, since 10 heart disease, since 11 spinal arthritis with nerve damage, 13 and a half Myofacial myocytis (I think that is the correct name?)

h) Living arrangements: When younger dog run, now in the garage on a heated dog bed

i) Pictures! See sigi :)

Edited by OSoSwift

Another data indicator for your study would be if the dog was desexed and if so, at what age. In our case, he was never desexed.

It also might be interesting to collect data on whether the dog was a pedigree or not. In our case, he was.

a) Breed: German Shepherd

b) Age: Assisted pass over the bridge at 14 yrs 8 months

c) Diet: Early years Pal, Eukanuba. Later years Royal Canin, Eagle Pack. Also included a wide range of fresh meat, eggs, olive oil, fish, dairy treats, bones and dried treats (eg schmackos).

d) Supplements: From age 10 - Rimadyl plus Sasha's Blend or Joint Guard. Also had two courses of cartophen injections.

e) Exercise regime: Last 4 years - short walks, short free play sessions. Last 12 months - house exercise and purpose designed rides in the car with short meanders.

f) Temperament: Gentle, calm, confident.

g) Prior/current health concerns: Age related arthritis in hips, aged related cataracts, tumor below anal gland which resulted in assistance over the bridge.

h) Living arrangements: Inside dog, memory foam mattress bed. Raised food bowl platform in later years. Also wore a coat in winter when we went out in his later years to help keep hips warm.

i) Pictures!

Banjo at 8 weeks, 6 years and 14 years

Banjoat8weeks2.jpgBanjoheadprofile-1.jpgbanjo2-1.jpg

Banjo's 14th birthday (far left)

Banjos14thbirthday.jpg

We have Jessie, who is still with us & going strong. :) Jessie was desexed at 6 months old.

a)Breed: Australian terrier x JRT

b)Age: 14

c)Diet: Earlier years was My dog canned food & Pedigree dry food...Recent years has been Raw & Advance dry food, aswell as sardines, raw eggs, yoghurt, occasional pigs ear or smackos for a treat.

d)supplements: No supplements at this stage

e)Exercise regime: About 1 hour exercise per day, mostly off lead around our property, but occasionally will get taken to park or beach on lead. She also keeps active playing with our other much younger dogs, & is still fit enough to keep up with them too. :)

f)Temperment: Very happy, friendly & laid back...with lots of personality plus!! :D Does sleep alot more these days due to her age.

g)Prior/current health concerns: Has been suffering from yeast infections in ears since 9 years old, being treated & managed with drops atm...but possibility of needing surgery in the future to remove ear canal if condition worsens. :( Jessie is now about 90% deaf, as has recently been diagnosed with a grade 1 heart murmour.

h)Living arrangements: enjoys spending time outdoors,but has always lived indoors with us. :)

243.jpg

Edited by Baileys mum

Another data indicator for your study would be if the dog was desexed and if so, at what age. In our case, he was never desexed.

It also might be interesting to collect data on whether the dog was a pedigree or not. In our case, he was.

a) Breed: German Shepherd

b) Age: Assisted pass over the bridge at 14 yrs 8 months

c) Diet: Early years Pal, Eukanuba. Later years Royal Canin, Eagle Pack. Also included a wide range of fresh meat, eggs, olive oil, fish, dairy treats, bones and dried treats (eg schmackos).

d) Supplements: From age 10 - Rimadyl plus Sasha's Blend or Joint Guard. Also had two courses of cartophen injections.

e) Exercise regime: Last 4 years - short walks, short free play sessions. Last 12 months - house exercise and purpose designed rides in the car with short meanders.

f) Temperament: Gentle, calm, confident.

g) Prior/current health concerns: Age related arthritis in hips, aged related cataracts, tumor below anal gland which resulted in assistance over the bridge.

h) Living arrangements: Inside dog, memory foam mattress bed. Raised food bowl platform in later years. Also wore a coat in winter when we went out in his later years to help keep hips warm.

i) Pictures!

Banjo at 8 weeks, 6 years and 14 years

Banjoat8weeks2.jpgBanjoheadprofile-1.jpgbanjo2-1.jpg

Banjo's 14th birthday (far left)

Banjos14thbirthday.jpg

Gorgeous Pics...Banjo looked like he was a very special, beautiful boy. :heart:

We had our family dog growing up called kimba, He was a male not desexed

a) Breed: german shepherd cross labrador

b) Age:16 years 11months and 2 weeks

c) Diet:mainly food scraps pasta rice and whichever dog food was on special

d) Supplements:none

e) Exercise regime: daily bush walks and swimming in the dam in summer

f) Temperament: loyal protective playfull goofball

g) Prior/current health concerns:None Never even been to a vet in his whole life.

h) Living arrangements: Outside in a kennel, but he did come in everynight for his pats

i) Pictures!i will have to look next time im over a dads i dont have any here of him

I have four dogs over 10.

My oldest is Blake

He is a border collie.

Aged 16

He in on the Barf diet.

Glucosamine.

Has had arthritis for many years and is now very stiff.

Placid and lovely trmprement.

Exercise is a stroll around my big yard a few times everyday and a 5 minute zoooom.

He sleeps inside and goes where I go most of the time.

No pics he is very camera shy.

Bob

Kelpiex

Barf

Glucosamine

No real illness at all.

Nice gentle temp.

Strolling around the garden, slower zoom than Blake.

Sleeps inside.

Gilly

AussiexJRT

Barf

Lump removed a few years ago.

A bit over the top when he is challenged, but usually gentle.

No medication.

Loves the garden walks faster zoom than the two above.

Sleeps inside.

Molly

10?

Border Collie

Barf.

No medication

Only been here a week.But terrible teeth and a lump on her back. Very gentle lovley girl.

Walks around the neighbourhood and in the garden, avid stick dog.

Sleeps inside.

Velcro dog.

All my dogs are desexed, they havent had any innoculations since Bob was 8, Gilly 6, I dont know about Blake or Molly.

Edited by gillybob

a) Breed: Staffordshire Bull Terrier (BYB - yes I have learned my lesson)

b) Age: 14 years 2+months DOB 12/6/1997

c) Diet: has always had meat and veg plus fruit, yoghurt etc

d) Supplements:fish oil, vit C, plus chinese herbs etc, cartrophen each month

e) Exercise regime: free exercise, when he wanted plus walked every morning on lead

f) Temperament:pretty good most of the time - has had some aggession issues with other dogs but was only after he was attacked twice in a short space of time

g) Prior/current health concerns: LOTS... Skin allergies when young, ear infections, eye infections, kidney and bladders stones (oxalate??) when he was 6, diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumours grade 2, no clear margins on excision and was systemic (in his lymph system) when he was 8 (was given 12-18 months). Treatment was chemo and holistic. Last year he neighbour gave him a sausage off the BBQ and he ended up with pancreatitis - so all food is now as low in fat as possible... He is 14 now and pretty much deaf (although I have my suspicions that it is selective deafness) and his back legs are quite weak from tendon issues and arthritis.

h) Living arrangements: Has always been an inside dog. Used to dominate the kids beds but as they got older and shoved him out, he comes to me now and has his own bed in my room (but somehow manages to end up on the end of my bed a lot of the time)..

i) Pictures! There are lots of him all over the forum but you can see him in my avatar..

I will take some newer ones as he is really grey (white) around the muzzle now... I think he is more precious today than the day we bought him home because he has been through so much and still gets up every morning to go for a walk around the park... We walk about a quarter of the distance in more than double the time we used to but he still loves it...

a) Breed: SWF - Chi x Malt

b) Age: 12.5 (so far)

c) Diet: Supermarket dog food until I got Moose, joined DOL and learnt about BARF. I think the change to BARF (and the inclusion of Moose) has made a massive difference in her. She shed her excess weight, nose went nice and wet and black (was always dry and cracked before due to dry eye) and she has much more energy. 

d) Supplements: Vets All Natural Health Booster. I started giving them this on the recommendation of a DOLer after Moose was burnt and have continued with it. 

e) Exercise regime: She has a heart murmur and mild arthritis so vet has recommended just short walks for her which she gets in the afternoon/ evening. 

f) Temperament: Gentle, loyal, not very intelligent but a very sweet dog. 

g) Prior/current health concerns: Sickest dog we've ever owned but the longest lived, go figure. :shrug: Busted cruciate at 2 years, immune mediated thrombocytopenia at 4, various bouts of dry eye and corneal cysts, unexplained enlarged spleen, and numerous other mild ailments. 

h) Living arrangements: Inside dog but has free access to outdoors, sleeps in bed with humans. 

i) Pictures!

6027079b.jpg

68685b19.jpg

4b3eb5b9.jpg

a) Breed: Miniature Dachshund

b) Age: 19 years 51 weeks when she died

c) Diet: Dry and bones/chicken wings, necks carcasses

d) Supplements: None

e) Exercise regime: Running around the farm

f) Temperament: Beautiful, even natured, a joy to live with

g) Prior/current health concerns: None

h) Living arrangements: Under the doona and out and about with the other dogs. One cat was her snuggle buddy.

i) Pictures! On other computer

And I miss her each and every day.

Gorgeous Pics...Banjo looked like he was a very special, beautiful boy. :heart:

Thank you. He was an incredible dog that helped change a few lives. It was months after his passing before I could talk about him at all and even two years later, I still get sappy talking about his antics and his wonderful nature. The pain has eased slightly because his spirit now lives on in our 10 month old pup.

Lost my old dog 8 weeks ago. Her regime is absolutely concreted in my brain due to the intensity of it!!

a) Breed: Border Collie (desexed female)

b) Age: 12.5years

c) Diet: Nutro dry, Nature's Gift tinned, sardines, mixed veggies, rice sometimes, chicken necks, lamb neck every so often

d) Supplements: Fish oil caspules, sasha's blend, apple cider vinegar then all her medications (I will include with health issues)

e) Exercise regime: Up until her last day an afternoon walk through the park and around the block (~1-1.5km), 6 months prior to being PTS she was still doing 4 kn walks daily.

f) Temperament: Perfect!! Fairly quiet, playful, very sociable, perfect with all people and dogs (and other animals).

g) Prior/current health concerns: Minor arthritis (cartrophen annually); diabetic since April 2010 (twice daily Caninsulin); blind - cataracts surgically removed followed by glaucoma (required Rimadyl, Norvasc, Gingko Biloba, 4 different types of eye drops); Pneumonia in May 2011. Was PTS due to kidney failure.

h) Living arrangements: Outside on warm days (days that the weather was good but cool she was outside with a coat), cold wet days inside, whenever I was home she was wherever I was. I got her as a 9 year old dog, prior to living with me I believe she was primarily an outside dog that was sometimes allowed inside.

i) Pictures!

Miss my beautiful Miss Emma every day.

post-34437-0-77482500-1315018453_thumb.jpg

This is what she looked like as a puppy. I found out who her breeder was and she had a mug with her picture from the Melb Royal when she was 10 months old and gave it to me just weeks before she was PTS.

post-34437-0-16935600-1315018497_thumb.jpg

a) Breed:Rough Collie

b) Age:17

c) Diet:Pal, scraps, all dairy, cereal, fruit, vegies, anything but he also had lots of fresh meat and chicken ( in the last couple of years he had to eat soft food and he loved chicken giblets.

d) Supplements:nil. I don't think dogs had supplements in "those" days.

e) Exercise regime:None in particular but I was young and very active and this dog came everywhere with me.

f) Temperament:Bomb proof. Loved everyone but he mostly came into contact with adults. He tolerated children when he met them. He was great with all animals but loved cats.

g) Prior/current health concerns: He had heart worm when he was around 12 yrs old. I had not previously heard of it and vets didn't recommend preventative worming. This was about 1985. He was diagnosed with bowel cancer at around 15, was medicated and had another 2 good years.

h) Living arrangements: Wherever I was but he liked the cold and would prefer outside if the house was heated too much. I travelled a lot around Aust and NZ in the 70s & 80s and he came everywhere with me - buses, trains etc. I don't know if he was allowed to but I never gave it a thought and no one stopped me. On interstate trains he had to go in the cargo carriage but guards would let me sleep with him and a couple of times they snuck him into me if I had a sleeper. I even hitch hiked with him a couple of times :laugh:

i) Pictures!I'd really have to search the archives!

Since Kurrie I've had dogs live to 10 - 13yrs.

a) Breed: desexed female stafford

b) Age: 16 years and 9 months

c) Diet: very strict diet for last 11 years due to pancreatitis. Mostly Hills Science WD dry and tinned but later Royal Canin Lowfat Digest Dry. Always fed Am and PM.

d) Supplements: nil

e) Exercise regime: walked the same dstance as the younger dogs but a lot slower and only three times a week. She got a massage every morning for the last 4 years and played rough with a younger stafford for the last 4 years every night after dinner.

f) Temperament: Tough but nurturing with us humans and the other dogs. High prey drive with lizards, fowl and cats if an animal became stressed but fine under normal circs. Was trained by original owner to be pig shooting dog.

g) Prior health concerns: Now deceased. Dementia, blindness, deafness, strokes, heart murmour, nerve damage in her spine, tumourous growths and mammarey (sp?) cancer in old age. Gave birth to a litter by cesar just before her first birthday (day she came into my care) and had post surgery complications that left her with severe scar tissue and sterility. Developed pancreatitis in 2000 but it was well controlled by a strict diet.

h) Living arrangements: Has always been an inside/outside dog and has always lived with 2 - 3 other dogs. She always considered herself the matriach of the dogs and was very nurturing to the pups. Always pined if we lost any from the dog or human pack. She lived half her life with cats, chickens, ducks and geese. Never been crated but always slept in the laundry on dog beds at night until 6 years ago. She then started sleeping on my bed.

i) Pictures! This was her on her last day with us in May, They all made doggy paintings in the back yard in the morning and she was pts that afternoon. Still makes me very sad to look at the pics on that day because she really was quite active still and showed no pain right till the end.

post-33739-0-40790100-1315038049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

Breed: Tibetan Terrier (Desexed at 10 yrs old after his show retirement)

Diet: Supercoat dry and chicken mince/ sometimes VIP chicken roll

Supplements: Nil

Exercise: Running around the 3/4 acre yard with the others if he felt like it, and running around the show ring.

Temperament: Bomb proof, so laid back. The only dog I know of who would spread himself out on the Vets examination table relaxed as you like.

Health: Dementia at 15 yrs & No other health concerns.

Living Arrangements: Run of the inside the house and outside, like all our dogs have.

Pictures: The biggest ham in the business. Loved getting his photo taken.

Edited by Marion 01

a) Breed: Tenterfield Terrier? (foundation stock, unknown parentage, had a litter, desexed at 7 years of age

b) Age: 16 y 9 m (deceased 29/7/2011)

c) Diet: raw food, prey model

d) Supplements: fish oil capsules 1000mg/day

e) Exercise regime: in her youth: walks each day +/- 45 minutes, went horse riding with me (running & in the saddle!); in her old age: walk around the yard each day + a short run when I got home from work

f) Temperament: even & laid back, but ruled the roost here at home with the Salukis esp., dog & people friendly, became very demanding as she aged, including being vocal, possibly canine dementia, along with deafness (at about 15 years) and reduced vision in her final few months

g) Prior/current health concerns: "skin itchies" as a pup, solved by diet

h) Living arrangements: inside dog, slept with me in bed :)

i) Pictures!

Here's my beautiful :heart: dog Sally.

She was given her wings just over 5 weeks ago.

post-9713-0-65302100-1315042220_thumb.jpg

6 weeks old

post-9713-0-37831300-1315042209_thumb.jpg[

10 years old

post-9713-0-02341000-1315042488_thumb.jpg

16 years old

taken 11 days before she died

she wasn't ill, until the day she died

in this picture she is just snoozing, but minutes later was running out in the yard with the Salukis! :)

edit for spelling

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds