Rottweiler In The News

Guest crickets

yeah, so there hasn't been a vicious dog attack for a few days, so we'll dredge up one from 11 yrs ago! I understand this family has suffered an horrific trauma, but really, a story from 11 yrs ago!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/maul-victims-still-live-the-nightmare/story-e6frea6u-1226128848758

EVER since his daughters were savaged by a rottweiler, Bill May has kept a baseball bat in his car.

He wants to be ready in case he ever sees someone else being attacked by a dog because he wasn't there to protect his girls when they were hurt.

It's been more than 11 years since Natasha and Danielle May, then just 9 and 7, and their mother, Caren, were horrifically mauled while playing in Bonython Park.

Both girls suffered severe injuries to their faces and upper bodies and spent a week in hospital.

Mr May, of Tranmere, still carries the bat and his girls, the scars.

"It's a horrible thing but after that, well, I carry a baseball bat in my car," he said. "I'm scared, not for me, but if I'm around and see a dog attacking someone, it's something that came into my mind, I want to be able to protect people."

Mr May's comments come almost three weeks after Ayen Chol, 4, was mauled to death by a pit bull dog in the family's Melbourne home.

While new legislation in Victoria means pit bulls and pit bull-crosses will be able to be seized by animal welfare officers armed with guidelines to identify the dogs, meaning owners will no longer be able to protect their pets by saying they are not purebreds, there are no plans to do the same in SA.

Two Sydney councils have also declared a month's amnesty for people to hand in restricted breeds as a result of the death.

When Natasha May, now 21, closes her eyes, she can still see the dog above her, biting her. "My mum was shielding me but it ran around her and grabbed my face and pulled me to the ground," she said.

"I remember looking up at it while it was attacking me, seeing a patch of brown on its stomach. I didn't think I'd have my eyes open while a dog was biting my face."

When younger sister Danielle ran to Natasha's aid, the dog turned on her. She received serious head wounds.

"After it happened, the girls would run from the car to the house, terrified," Mr May said.

"They wouldn't go anywhere. In parks, in shopping centres, they were always scanning for dogs and if there were any you may as well go home. It lasted for years and years."

The 2000 attack occurred just six weeks after the girls' mother, Caren, completed two months of chemotherapy for cancer but that didn't stop her collecting more than 8000 signatures on a petition demanding uniform state laws forcing owners to keep dogs leashed in public areas, except in designated zones, and to have dangerous breeds muzzled.

She died in 2003 without laws ever changing. "I feel disappointed with the Government," Mr May said. "Caren did a great campaign and got lots of signatures but rules seem to lapse, dogs on leads, that sort of thing. People still let their dogs out or are not controlling them.

"People don't think their dog will do it. Every time someone gets attacked the owner says the dog has never done anything like that before.

"There needs to be a statewide or federal law. Local councils do their best but you can't have separate laws; it's got to be one law for everyone right across the board."

Environment and Conservation Minister Paul Caica said he had sought advice from the SA Dog and Cat Management Board on whether additional measures were needed for particular dog breeds.

Currently, five breeds are described as dangerous under the Dog and Cat Management Act, including the American pit bull terrier, Dogo Argentino, Presa canario, Fila Brasiliero, and Japanese Tosa.

Pathetic that they are putting this in the paper now.

Also I find it interesting that the man admits to always having a baseball bat in his car as a weapon, since it is illegal to do so.

Edited by ~Lisa~

I always knew the Rotty would be next but I didn't think it would be this quickly.... brace yourself Rotty owners for what the rest of us have been so angry about for so long :(

Rottweilers were in the line of fire before pitbulls.

Recently saw an article on the news showing a "Rottweiler" that had attacked some-one..... it did not look ANYTHING like a Rotty, not going to say what it did look like in case the

"Thought Police" are spying on us.....

Dave

The hysteria is spreading to other breeds including German Shepherds, even one that was clearly identified as an assistance dog. The handler was verbally abused for bringing a 'vicious breed' into a shopping centre where there were innocent children that could be attacked.

Dxenion where did you hear that? Poor dog and poor person I wonder how they would feel after that :( was the handler the trainer or person needing assistance

I was the one on the receiving end.

I've met a few 'anti dog in food mall' type people but after taking the time to talk to them about the assistance dogs, guidelines on appropriate public hygiene and behaviour and the rights and responsibilities of the handler and service providers, their attitutes change and more often and not want to know how to get involved as a puppy carer.

This time, the woman with toddler in mid tantrum wasn't interested in anything I said - she seemed totally blinkered on the fact that the dog was a German Shepherd and therefore a vicious breed (her words not mine). This is despite the fact the dog was lying down quietly next to me while her child was throwing a red faced fruity because she wouldn't let him 'pat the doggie'. Towards the end of the lecture I even started to feel guilty for making what this woman felt was a discraceful decision to buy milk when there could be children around. After she stormed off saying she was going to report my presence to the manager, other members of the public who witnessed the tirade came forward to offer support but it certainly wasn't a pleasant experience.

Pitbull type dogs are the main centre of attention but already we are seeing staffies, rottweilers and now german shepherds being caught up in the dangerous dog hysteria. It is a worrying sign of the times that frightened members of the public will even publically turn on assistance dogs who by the very nature of their job cannot show any signs of aggression.

Any dog over 5kg is doomed thanks to idiots that can not control their animals. I for one dont want a fluffy friggin mutt whose attitude is worse than large dogs.

Then don't raise one to be like that.

What happened to judging deed, not breed?

I don't find anti-breed sentiment amusing no matter what size dog is targetted.

SWF is a stereotype that's no more attractive to small dog owners than large dog owners find having their dogs labelled as baby killers.

Back on topic. The attack the subject of this thread is about was an absolute shocker. I don't blame the family one iota for their feelings. I do blame authorities for not doing more to "deal" with dangerous dogs than banning breeds.

Edited by poodlefan

I like retrospectives, and I think there's a lesson here: The victims of dog attacks suffer for a long time. Preventing dog attacks is a worthwhile goal.

Where the article fails is in its focus on breed and overlooking the owner of the dog. Same is happening in the sad recent case where a child was killed. I wish they'd done a retrospective to see whether the owner of the dog learned anything. Using the victim's suffering to whip up a mob mentality is journalism at its worst.

I always knew the Rotty would be next but I didn't think it would be this quickly.... brace yourself Rotty owners for what the rest of us have been so angry about for so long :(

Yes, Indeed Sheridan, as were and are the German Shepherds.

I wonder do these poor girls and other victims of Dog Attacks get any kind of councelling or therapy that involves dogs (say DAS dogs?) so they don't have to be so fearful?

Anyone know?

Any dog over 5kg is doomed thanks to idiots that can not control their animals. I for one dont want a fluffy friggin mutt whose attitude is worse than large dogs.

This is particularly hurtful to the owners of smaller breeds who go to a lot of trouble to train their pets but are just dismissed offhand by small dog predjudices.

What is it we are all saying about being 'tarred with the same brush' in regards tp BSL?

It's the same thing.

I'm sure the ratio of 'small dog to idiot owner' is probably on parr with 'larger dog to idiot owner'.

yeah, so there hasn't been a vicious dog attack for a few days, so we'll dredge up one from 11 yrs ago! I understand this family has suffered an horrific trauma, but really, a story from 11 yrs ago!

I dont see what the problem is in this instance. The journo didnt hide the fact it was 11 years ago and the article seems to me to be coming from the angle of following up a story for the purpose of whether or not the kids recovered completely. Ofcourse a fatal attack of a little girl recently is going to bring up old stories. Dont really see why you're surprised at this one. It would be a bit different if the article didnt indicate when it happened, like some stories dredged up recently

Yes, Indeed Sheridan, as were and are the German Shepherds.

I wonder do these poor girls and other victims of Dog Attacks get any kind of councelling or therapy that involves dogs (say DAS dogs?) so they don't have to be so fearful?

Anyone know?

In my experience only the short answer would be no......

My eldest daughter who is now seventeen was attacked by a dog as a toddler, requiring plastic surgery on her face.

No sort of councelling, therapy or any sort of 'mental/emotional' help was ever offered to us.

I will admit however to not actively seeking it out either.

Our family dog was a gentle as a lamb purebred Bull Mastiff who was her best buddy and that combined with a positive approach from us as her parents meant she quickly recovered mentally and physically and now or has ever had a fear of dogs.

However (bit off topic) my sil has a completely irrational fear of dogs and her young son even though he has very limited exposure to dogs and has never been attacked, rushed, bitten, etc will become hysterical if he sees one.

That comment is as bad as the ignorant comments lately regarding PBs, Rotties etc.