Pooping At Night In Crate

DzR

Hi All

Need adv. we have a Beagle girl and she is brilliantly behaved, she sleeps well doesnt bark in Crate, and goes to bed well, However

During the night instead of waking us like she used to, she does a poo in the crate, we try to take her in the middle of the night and just before bed however it still occurs,

The Crate is a little Big I guess, PP40 for a pup, but is there anything I can do to try and stop this, apart from this she is very very well behaved. She rarely has accidents inside,

Thanks

Try and block off the extra space if you can - eskies or something similar are pretty good for this. Hopefully then there won't be enough space for her to go and she'll cry if she needs to be let out rather than just comfortably going in the extra space.

Is she from a breeder or a pet shop? That could make a difference - just as in pet shop dogs are kept in a way that they must live in their own waste so breaking this habit could be harder. But I'm sure the same advice of looking at feeding times and reducing the size of the crate (maybe put in a shoe box or something to take up some of the space) is still going to apply.

Feed earlier & just take the pup out for toilet later at night.

No advice on the crate as I would not crate any animal in sleeping room only & a PP40 is not a big space for anything.

Upsetting for pup to be doing this & then having to sleep in it in that space.

Wilbur (12 week old chocolate lab) has slept in a PP40 since he was 8 weeks old. He's never soiled his crate; but we never feed him past 7:30pm. His last toilet run for the night is about midnight and he lasts til about 7:30 am. As soon as he starts to stir in the morning we take him out for toileting. Now that he's just about grown out of his PP40 crate, he'll be sleeping in a 42" wire crate, which should arrive next week. If he has too much room, we'll be blocking part of the crate off to discourage any toileting. Hope our experiences help you sort out your crate soiling problem :)

She is from a breeder and seems to go well in the house, I might try making the crate a bit smaller, she does go to the toilet before bed. First week or so no issues and now this every night

She is from a breeder and seems to go well in the house, I might try making the crate a bit smaller, she does go to the toilet before bed. First week or so no issues and now this every night

but does she poo or just wee? Do you go with her or just put her out? What is she being fed? I'm with Christina re the crate. I would be setting the alarm to take her out in the middle of the night to try and stop this now before it becomes an ingrained habit.

need to know what she is fed, how often and when. That would be very helpful. Her last meal at night might need to be shifted forward or back.

ETA have you changed her food or the times of meals?

Edited by Rebanne

I had a four hour gap between last feed and bed time so around 6:30pm.

And we'd go outside a couple of times between and then just before bed - and she wouldn't get back inside until I'd seen something out of her at the 10:30pm pitstop. And until she was about 14 weeks, I would get up again at around 3am for another pitstop. I'd stand around being boring and wait for her to perform and then straight back inside. She didn't sleep in a crate so midnight accidents would have been in my bedroom - yuck. Until she could last all night - she slept with a lead attached to the far side of my bed with me on top of it. A friend attached her puppy's lead to her toe but I roll around too much for that to be good.

Food takes about 9 hours to go through a puppy so you need to feed later, not earlier. I always give the last feed an hour before I go to bed and have very rarely had a puppy that ever needed to poo during the night. As they get older you can bring dinner forward.

Food takes about 9 hours to go through a puppy so you need to feed later, not earlier. I always give the last feed an hour before I go to bed and have very rarely had a puppy that ever needed to poo during the night. As they get older you can bring dinner forward.

Agree