Removed

CanberraCarer

No No and No, the owners obviously couldnt be assed to locate the cat when it whent missing, who's to say they will look after it this time?

They can apply to adopt the cat like any other person if the pass the check then yeah ok but they shouldnt be given priority over anyone else.

Hand it back to the original owners, for the cost of the vet work. Legally you don;t have to but morally, I think you shouldn't be so quick to judge the circumstances and how they came to lose their cat. The fact they want it back, is enough for me, it obviously meant something to them or they'd have picked up another one .

It would depend on why they couldn't locate the cat when it was first lost.

Did they phone the pound & they said No, it was not there. This can happen.

Was there a family emergency like the person was taken in hospital etc.

I would want to know more about all this first & then decide however they should be charged for the vet work & any medical expenses if it is returned to them.

Hand it back to the original owners, for the cost of the vet work. Legally you don;t have to but morally, I think you shouldn't be so quick to judge the circumstances and how they came to lose their cat. The fact they want it back, is enough for me, it obviously meant something to them or they'd have picked up another one .

Yep and Yep. I wouldn't even think twice.

I believe they should go through the same process as anyone else and absolutely pay for the vet treatment.

I've had this happen before - been contacted by the owner and asked to give the dog back. The owner in question left his dog in the pound for 2 weeks (undesexed, unvaccinated etc) and I had bid for the dog. As a purebred and a young female, I had to bid high to beat the bybs. The owner didn't want to reimburse my costs and in the end, agreed that they sadly had no money to pay for any vet bills (the dog will eventually need very expensive surgery on its knees) and was happy for me to rehome.

I had also explained that I would have to check the fencing if this person wanted the dog back as I would not want the dog to ever get out again.

Basically, I was just planning to proceed as I normally would and if everything had been fine, the owner could have had the dog back.

This :)

What RSG said. I had the same thing happen to a dog a rescued from a local pound. He went to a new carer who showed his photos at work and one of the colleagues said, that's my mates dog!

Poor carer was in a flap so I told her to get the "owner" to ring me. He was very upset at the loss of his dog and didn't know that pounds existed. We had the dog desexed and microchipped and then returned to him, he paid for this and they dog was very happy to see him. :)

I'd be worried at why they let their 'undesexed' and 'unchipped' cat out to begin with? :( I understand accidents happen and maybe the cat escaped an open door or something but if the cat meant so much to them - why didn't they have him/her chipped to begin with?, why didn't they go looking for their kitty when he/she was at the pound? I know if I lost a pet I would search high and low for them. :shrug:

What would of happened had the rescue not come forward? the cat in question would no longer be here, no doubt.

Listen to them and what they have to say but listen with your head aswell as your heart, for Kitty's sake.