Greys Adoption

woodbyne

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make sure whoever you go with actually has had their dogs in a foster home. You get a much better idea of their true nature which is vital if there are kids or other pets to be considered.

Ok thanks for the advice this one seems but i'm not 100% sure that i take the dog as a foster dog kind of like on trial and see if we like it. So i will be checking if they actually send them to foster homes first. Thanks for the advice

Our wonderful Katie came from greyhound rescue and I would certainly recommend them - they took the time to ensure we got a dog that suited our situation - we have cats and already had a tiny male dog that we rescued a few months before. Katie came to us on a trial basis to start with and we could not have been more pleased with her. She is a beautiful gentle soul who loves our cats and her tiny canine companion.

We can't thank Peter and Janet, from Greyhound Rescue, enough for rescuing this little lady from Hawkesbury pound, fostering her and letting her join our family. Goodluck with your search for the right grey to join your family.

Hi Woodbyne. I am a foster carer for friends of the hound and we rescue greyhounds from pounds, vet hospitals and from trainers. All our dogs are fostered in homes with young children, small dogs and if fostered with myself cats. I would be more than happy to help your family to adopt a greyhound. If you would like my phone number please let me know or PM yours and i would be happy to give you a call to talk about any suitable greyhounds currently in foster care. They have all there vet work completed, come with a trial period and of course full support.

This is Shelley how was rescued from Hawkesbury Pound and Tilly who is also available for adoption

post-33378-0-39270400-1316421366_thumb.jpg

post-33378-0-31604700-1316421409_thumb.jpg

Edited by skyesblue

I recommend you contact Janet and Peter, they have their dogs with them or in foster care and they are thoroughly tested over a period of time.

They do a wonderful job - they don't make a big noise but work quietly and constantly and actually manage to rehome a good number of greyhounds.

I'm sure (like my own rescue) that foster carers would have the first option to adopt!

Edited by dogmad

I foster for for Friends of the Hounds too and our dogs are temperament tested and fostered in homes with dogs and cats and children. We also do foster with view to adopt when asked. We rehome dogs from the Central Coast to Batemans Bay so far.

post-41792-0-79671500-1316481516_thumb.jpg

Edited by snippet

Fantastic information. Thanks everyone we wont be seriously looking until next year as we are planning a holiday for 5 weeks over christmas and don't want to have to unsettle a poor dog thats just adjusting.

I wish all people looking for a dog was a sensible as you. YOu have loads of great information and I am sure you will find the perfect dog :)

• 2 weeks later...

I fostered for Greyhound Rescue also (though their Victorian chapter) and would also highly recommend them. They have many dogs in foster care and allow you to trial the dog. They'd also make sure to find a dog suitable for your situation, though I would second the suggestion to maybe foster with a view to adoption :)

I agree fostering is a fantastic way to really get to know if the dog is for you and I would highly recommend that too. Many of the groups are happy to do foster with view to adopt. Good luck I am sure you will find teh right one wherever they come from.

Hi, I'm thinking of fostering a Greyhound, but ... trying not to offend as maybe I just met the wrong one ... they seem awfully boring. All the dog that I met did was to either piddle, poop or lie down. What are they really like?

Hi, I'm thinking of fostering a Greyhound, but ... trying not to offend as maybe I just met the wrong one ... they seem awfully boring. All the dog that I met did was to either piddle, poop or lie down. What are they really like?

Hmmm ... Katie helps us do things, loves walks, has learnt to love cuddles and being groomed. She was very scared of hands when she came and has gradually come to realise that she is safe here and has gradually become happier and happier. Is a very tolerant sweet girl who is good with our cats and tiny dog. I certainly would never call her boring, she loves playing, dances around like a loon when I get home from work, is always busy (or asleep lol)and collects treasures everyday and puts them safely on her bed including a big whole pumpkin - still have no idea how she carried it to her bed for safe keeping lol.

Trying to remember back when she first came home - overwhelmed and scared would be my description of her not sure about what life held so subdued. Her wonderful personality didn't really start to shine through for all to see until she knew she was secure and loved here, though she was always a sweet gentle girl. Took ages for her to be confident enough to willingly get in the car to go places as she seemed to think we would leave her somewhere. She has now learnt sit and down and is nolonger scared in confined spaces and her recall is getting better and better.

You have to remember that the dog/s you saw may have always lived in a kennel and doesn't know you at all. Then again I don't know what you are expecting and perhaps another breed would suit you better at this stage in your life.

Oh no, the one I fostered was one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever met. I fell in love at first sight and if I wasn't allergic to him, would've kept him. In my experience they're the most loving dogs. The guy I fostered had never had a proper owner before, but we bonded really quickly and he learnt all about being a pet very quickly. He lay down lots, yeah, but so would I if I were that huge :laugh: .

Obviously it depends on the dog and some are more outgoing and/or people focused than others. Though as with most dogs, you'll get to know them the more time you spend with them. As the poster above mentioned, some greys will have spent most of their lives in kennels and not had "owners" in the same way as most pet dogs you meet. The way many dogs you meet act will also be different to the way they act with their owners, at their home, too. So I don't think that's the best way to judge.

I recommend fostering anyway, because you'll get to experience the above, help a greyhound, and if you fall in love with the dog.. no love lost at all! There's really no negatives to fostering, in my opinion :).