Was I Too Harsh?

NuggyWuggy

I recently had a puppy enquiry via a form on my website, and in part, here were some of the questions and this particular persons answers:

"03 - If the pup/dog is for Show, or Breeding, which State or Territory controlling body are you a member of and/or what is your breeder's prefix? (If not just put N/A) = n/a

04 - If you don't want the pup/dog for Breeding and/or Show, will you have it desexed at 6 months of age, and have you made financial arrangements for this? = No

05 - Why have you chosen a "said breed", and what do you know about the breed? = n/a

we would like a female "said breed" to add to our family, with the possibility of having 1 litter of pups before desexing"

I replied with:

"Hi ......

Thankyou for your recent enquiry, unfortunately I will not have any pups available for you.

As I am a responsible breeder, I require all people who purchase a pup from me to sign a contract agreeing to desex their dog at six months of age to prevent it being bred by someone who isn't willing to become a registered breeder and test for hereditary diseases as well as selecting only the best dogs to make up future generations. I am determined to protect all dogs I breed from back-yard-breeders and puppy-farmers.

I also like to see that people who want to own one of my "said breed" know something about the breed and also why they have chosen this breed. People all too often buy a particular breed without knowing the requirements to properly care for them, and the dog ends up at the pound when it becomes too much to handle.

However, I do understand that you may well love and care for your pet, I just won't let my dogs be bred by someone who isn't fully aware of their responsibility toward the breed.

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for elsewhere, as there are plenty of breeders who don't care what happens to the pups they breed as they are only interested in money.

Regards......."

They replied with:

"Wow! Thanks for the judgment!"

This made me rather cranky as I thought I explained myself well, so I replied:

"My reasons stated for not selling my pup to someone who is not willing to desex it at six months of age are general and weren't specific to your situation, unless of course you feel they are.

Based on your answers to my questions, you want to breed the dog at least once although you are not a member of your states Canine Controlling Body, you are not a registered breeder of "said breed" and therefore do not have a breeders prefix. You cannot tell me why you have chosen the breed or what you know about it.

Do you know the Breed Standard and based on it, what dog you would use to sire the litter? Do you know what diseases they may be affected by and require DNA testing for before breeding, what age to breed them, how much it costs (sometimes the bitches life) if something goes wrong. As for the resulting pups, what would you do with them? Would you require any you didn't keep to be desexed at six months of age so they didn't end up in the hands of a puppy-farmer or the like, being bred year after year? Say your one litter resulted in four female pups, which you sell to people who also breed one litter resulting in four female pups each, and they in turn all breed one litter resulting in the same amount of female pups and so on - now all MY hard work of studying and learning and DNA testing and careful planning to produce a litter for the purpose of improving the breed has been undone. Until you put in the hard work I have, and have to sort through the people to find the best possible home for your precious pups that you are responsible for, please don't assume my determination to be a responsible breeder is judgement."

So....was I too harsh? embarrass.gif

Edited by Nuggywuggywazabear

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope ... ;) you are not too harsh. But having said that - I would not buy a dog from a breeder with a desex contract.

Our boys are entire and we are not registered breeders ... our dogs are entire because they are working dogs.

Edited by Tilly

Not at all. Someone who considers your very well written email judgement needs their head read, are obviously on the defensive and definitely wouldn't be ending up with a pup of mine if I were a breeder..

Edited by mr.mister

I understand your frustration and why you said what you said. However if I were average joe public who had no idea about puppy farms and why back yard breeding is not good, I could maybe feel a bit judged - but I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes?

You have every right to deny them a puppy and explain why though.

So many people out there think this way and they need to be educated. But maybe they would look into the issues further and learn not to do it if someone explained it to them in a kind way ( I think you did pretty well with this). If they are offended they will probably just judge you and stereotype registered breeders, then go and buy from a byb anyway and still have their planned litters.

I know so many people that think the way of the person who enquired to you but they really have no idea that there's anything wrong with it and they probably won't learn with a lecture as well as with some helpful guidance from someone they are willing to listen to.

On one hand, at least they have enquired with a registered breeder and not gone straight to the trading post or pet store I guess. But overall no I don't think you were too harsh in general, maybe just too much for this person, maybe they are sensitive.

Edited by Lollipup

Not too harsh. Good on you for taking the time to reply to them to explain your reasons. :thumbsup:

You may have helped educate them and made them think a little more about their plans. They sound like so many people (not on DOL!) who still believe that it's best to let a bitch have a litter before being desexed. :(

Not too harsh. Good on you for taking the time to reply to them to explain your reasons. :thumbsup:

You may have helped educate them and made them think a little more about their plans. They sound like so many people (not on DOL!) who still believe that it's best to let a bitch have a litter before being desexed. :(

So many people think that! When I started my current job and a lady I work with found out I am dog mad, she said "oh I'm a breeder, I breed lhasa apsos, do you know what that is?"

I was pretty excited to be working with someone who is into dogs but as I found out more I realised she wasn't an ethical or registered breeder, sells litters to petshops and honestly believes a bitch is a better dog if she has at least one litter. :eek:

Sorry but I think the reply is too harsh. The general public know what they have been brought up to beleive about dogs and the reality needs to be explained to them in a way that they don't feel that they are being attacked personally. Some very good breeders of many years standing, that I know, started off with the same idea as these buyers. Carefully educated by experienced breeders they managed to buy a good bitch, breed a good litter, get the show bug and go on to become dedicated breeders. Everyone has to start somewhere and most breeders do not start out with the intention of being breeders.

Maybe they did just want to have a litter under the mistaken impression that they could get their money back plus more, but you will never know one way or the other now.

Why engage in the further conversation. You said your bit and they responded. The conversation could have easily been left there. Whilst the reply may not have been too harsh, it has left them with an impression about registered breeders.

Registered breeders should use such enquiries to politely educate not alienate puppy buyers or they will go to a puppy farm.

I think it was to harsh, instead of forming a judgement from a very brief reply to a couple of questions, you should have asked them more about their intentions for the pup and why they would want a litter, open a dialogue with them or get them to call you about it. Then you can make an informed decision and explain your decision to them in a less confrontational way. Jumping straight to the ignorant/evil puppy buyer conclusion just leaves the potential buyer with a bad view of reputable breeders and sends them into the arms of the BYB/puppy farm market.

Sorry but you where judgemental. It is difficult online to try to educate - perhaps you should have ignored the initial email or perhaps a polite reply and suggested that if they wished to discuss details re breeding etc it would be better if they arranged a time where they could ring and give you a chance to chat more with them.

I think becks' approach is the best one if you have the time for it. If you don't have the time for it a brief note saying you only sell dogs as companions, not as breeding stock, would do the trick. The rest might be true for you, but I think we need to ask ourselves whether we're saying something that will change hearts and minds, or if we're just defending our position and having a "I'm surrounded by idiots" rant at someone. The latter doesn't do anything for dogs in the long run.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie