How Does Anyone Ever Actually Catch A Lost Dog?

Thelms

I am out often and in my time I've seen dozens of dogs that are obviously lost. Just wondering around, sometimes with a collar - sometimes without. But there has never been a single dog would let me get close to it. They're either running around like they know where they're going and just ignore me. Or they're going from house to house marking their territory without a care in the world OR they're just that scared and they whining and moving away any time I approach them, if i get to close they growl etc.

I don't understand, I am not showing any excitement...fear...not nervous...anything...I am just acting casual as I am really good around dogs. Maybe I've just been unlucky I always come across lost dogs that really don't like strangers at all.There has even been times where, I'd be walking my own dogs - and a lost dog would appear out of nowhere - The lost dog would be sniffing/playing with my dogs - then I'd say "hello" or "come here mate" then the lost dog would growl at me to keep away. So the dog was obviously socialized with other dogs, but didn't want anything to do with me.

How can I help them if they wont let me help to begin with.

Edited by Thelms

Sometimes they are not 'lost'. They know where they are and where they are going. I call them and make excited sounds and beckoning gestures (crouch down, pat my knees). If they don't come they probably won't let me catch them.

We have come across a few that were standing around looking bewildered. Those are the ones that are lost. They've got out somehow and have no idea what to do with themselves. They usually let me walk up to them or come to me when I beckon. Sometimes opening the car door and calling them will get them to jump in your car.

I've 'caught' a few wandering dogs just this year - thought 'caught' probably isn't the best word. There were a couple of staffy x types bolting down a main road toward a park that I frequent, who ran straight through a very busy intersection and caused quite a bit of havoc. One was initially very fearful and I didn't want to get too close, but the other was lovely and eventually came over, and his mate then followed. I have run into them a few times since, with their owner at that same park, and let him know what happened (they ended up going to the LDH when I got them that day, after coming back to my house). He didn't seem too fussed and started telling me about how he trained them to be road savvy. (um, ... yeah.. right.. if that'd 'road savvy', I'd love to see a dog without road sense.. :banghead: )

I've also found a couple of small wandering dogs who've got out of their houses - usually just by beckoning and talking to them. It has helped if I've had my dog with me, but obviously I don't always have her.

There's only one that I wasn't able to catch, and often wonder what happened to him. He was running around my neighbourhood seemingly distressed, but was too fearful and anxious to let me get close. He bolted every time it looked like I was making progress, and I eventually gave up. It may be that this dog knew the neighbourhood, I suppose, but I've never seen him/her around and he seemed scared and anxious, like he was lost and trying to find someone/something. Though perhaps I'm just anthropomorphising and he was perfectly happy and knew exactly where he was.. :shrug:

I don't know if I'm just a crazy dog lady that notices supposedly lost dogs everywhere or if I live in an area where there are lots of dogs that get out. But I've found/'caught' about.. 5 this year, I think. And not caught one. I know I'm particularly paranoid because my mum's dogs got out a few years ago and I am now very very sensitive to things ilke that!

I catch quite a few, usually have a spare slip collar/lead with me and I always have crates although when I picked up a Golden Retriever last year he did have to go on the back seat.

Some willingly get into my car at the first opportunity. i did follow another one on a hot day and long before i caught up with him he'd collapsed under a car, he bared his teeth at me so I got a towel and threw it over him and took him to the vet.

When I found a pair on Pennant Hills Rd I'd thrown open my door, one got straight in and the other ran across the road, luckily he wasn't hit by cars. They had very stupid owners, living nr this very busy road who left their front door open, not at all phased by my report of how/when I foudn their dogs. :mad

Why are people so careless and/or stupid, I'll never get it. That said, some are genuine accidents and it can happen to any of us especially when you have new foster dogs etc. on a regular basis. Extreme care is needed at those times.

Edited by dogmad

The same happened to me Miss B, it was pouring with rain and the Border collie X was in the middle of an intersection looking confused and miserable, I stopped, ran around to the back and dropped the tailgate and yelled "hop in" and in she hopped! :laugh:

If it doesn't willingly come up I will throw treats in its general direction, sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

I used my dog to lure an escaped guard dog last week, it was a little scarey though as when we walk past it when it's on duty it goes nuts and tries to jump the fence to get us, when I saw it out it approached us with its hackles up so was not sure what it was going to do, I walked briskly back around the corner and walked me and my dog into the shop where it came from and asked the guy to please go and put his dog away.

If the animal is not bolting in the other direction

sit down and start singing the dog wont be able to help it self it will come and see what the crazy person is doing, just dont eyeball it

I used to cath a lot of ferals like that when I worked for the local council.

Guest Black Obsession

With cheese :laugh:

Once there was a stray dog (a Kelpie) wandering on the road in front of my house. I called her to me, to get her off the road, but she stopped on the pavement and wouldn't come any closer.

I ran inside and grabbed the first thing I could think of - some cubes of cheese. I made a Hansel and Gretel style trail, leading up to my gate. She ate them all, one by one, and went inside.

She was friendly, so I popped her in the car and drove her to my vet. They said she was a regular escapee, though I'd never seen her before.

I have also coaxed a whole litter of stray kittens into my car using a freshly delivered pizza :laugh:

Edited by Black Obsession

It depends on the dog.

I followed a beagle puppy up one street until we reached a dead end. She was so excited and playful all I had to do was make some exciting noises and pretend I had a treat in my hand for her to come over.

I dont know what I would do with a fearful/agressive dog.

I found an Amstaff wandering up the road in front of my house. I said "What are you doing out, buddy? come on then!" and he followed me inside. I also found a Samoyed wandering down the road so I opened my car door and whistled and he jumped straight in.

I didn't manage to catch a GSD pup. So I watched her and called the council. They had to corner and pole her. Poor thing was terrified.

Luckily the majority of the stray dogs I've come across have been very friendly and approached me (in some cases launched themselves into me :laugh: ) when I've crouched down, pat my legs and called them in a happy and excited voice.

The few occasions that the dog has been fearful or warned me to back off I avoided eye contact and moved around as if I was completely ignoring them. Usually if you take a step forward, they take a step back so I've had success in slowly 'herding' them into a front yard (making sure there's no animals/people in there first) and then closing the gate to keep them in there, safely. Ring the ranger (I have two councils in my mobile contacts) and wait and supervise until they arrive.

Once I encountered a dog displaying very aggressive body language so there was no way I was going to try my luck at approaching. All I could do was ring the ranger, let them know the dog could be difficult, and to hurry as I obviously couldn't catch the dog and prevent it running away. I watched the dog from a distance and luckily it was a quiet road so no cars came by and no other people or animals came by (which could have scared the dog away). Two rangers came and I ran off to work which I was late for :laugh:

I had a young adult Husky decide to arrive on my doorstep (literally) at 3:30am one morning - as if he knew the crazy dog lady would help him find his way home...

Had a few wandering the street, and usually either tempted them with treats or opened the car door and called them in.

I tend to take strays to my regular vet, as they will scan them and contact the owner if the chip details are up to date - saves the owner impound fees - and the vet will forward to the pound if the owner can't be contacted. The actual pound is closer to me than my vet, but I'd rather the dogs not end up there if possible - not that the pound is a "bad" one, just that I'd rather they not go there if possible...

T.

One time I was out in the bush doing field work and a Harrier with a trailing leash appeared out of nowhere and just walked right up to me and stood there. Picked up his leash and walked him back to the trails where we found someone on a bike riding around calling him. Probably the most convenient lost dog story ever. :laugh:

Once when i was out with my mum we came across this little dog out on a main road. By the time i u turned and came back it had narrowly been missed by a truck and another car had pulled up. However when i opened my door the little guy came running over and launched himself inside and sat himself on my poor mums lap. He was so stinky and had probably been swimming in a dam or sometihng. :laugh:

We took him to the vet and he was microchipped so his owner was going to pick him up on the way home from work.

I usually just talk to them and coax them to come over, most of the ones I've saved are really friendly one. There was a shy/timid one, I came across a few years back while I was going for a walk. I sat on the footpath talking to it and it finally came over. Didn't let me carry him though, so I pulled the drawstring out of my pant and made a slip leash out of it, and we walked to the vets (which was another 30 minute walk). One hand holding the "leash" and the other holding up my pant.

I only found my two boys and adtopted them after they got lost two times walked 5klm from there home to our place went for a swim in our dam and all i had to do was open the back door of my car and they jumped in and i took them home pitty i forgot they were dripping wet with mud and dirt :eek: ah well it was only a crummy commodore they jumped in :rofl: i still have the paw marks all over the seats :laugh:

I've had two little terrier crossbreds, at different times, walk through the bars on our gates and come in the back door while my dogs were asleep inside. They were very easy to catch. :rofl:

The neighbour's little crossbred from 4 doors up and a Basenji from round the next street, have both just come to me when I called them as they ran past my yard. I also caught an OES that was hanging around the shops where I used to work, with food and another crossbred that actually decided to come into a shop where I worked.

Most dogs I see out and about seem to know where they are going but the obviously lost ones are usually not too hard to catch.