Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys, snake meshing/proofing of dog runs finished. Found a wonderful builder who said quote "will fit you in as soon as possible as have to keep the wee doggies safe". :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, have used a little bit of everyone's ideas. Essentially ran the snake mesh across the back and down one side of the run then created a new fence in front of the doors. Also cement sheeted the inside of all external parts of the boxes on the inside as well as the mesh along the back. Took the roof off and insulated. Mesh has been dug several inches into the ground. And while I know everything is not 100% certain (hope your boy is going okay Idigadog), have done the best that I can.

Here are a couple of piccies of the finished result.

post-37379-0-25250800-1323422728_thumb.jpg

post-37379-0-61215600-1323422845_thumb.jpg

So sorry to those who have lost their dog to a snake. :(

We lost our dog a few years ago to a snake and it is such a terrible thing to go through. I had nightmares for ages afterwards about snakes.

You can only do so much to make it safe for pets. I thought that our dog run was secure but can only assume the snake entered through the gate in search of water when i had it open before i put our dog inside. I think i locked our dog in with the snake and the end result was our poor dog. He was gone before i even found him and i still feel guilty that i didn't let him out as soon as i got home from school because it's possible that he could have been saved.

At the end of the day though you just have to let the blame go because otherwise you are always second guessing yourself. We no longer use the dog pen. In fact other than the bars all the fencing and bricks have been removed and used elsewhere.

That looks great Shepherds,

im pinching those pics for my next talk on

"living with the snake",

ok?

Snakes are not real smart but they are bloody curious

and in their travels will try any gaps or holes that look interesting.

Usually though,they are looking for food, on the scent of a rodent or a bird.

If a mouse can get in, a snake can and may get in to.

I have some more videos from this weeks catches which Ill add to this thread later.

Stay safe

Looks like a great job. Good on your builder for getting it done so promptly :)

Thanks OsoSwift....one can only hope.... A friend put me onto this builder and think it helped that he was an obvious dog lover and the boys charmed him. :D

It did take a week to complete and although some might think that was a long time, he was very very thorough...even to the point that inside the box where he put the cement sheeting he also ran additional framing around the top so there are absolutely no gaps.

Wish I had actually found him before we built the dog runs, cos he had some great ideas!

That looks great Shepherds,

im pinching those pics for my next talk on

"living with the snake",

ok?

Snakes are not real smart but they are bloody curious

and in their travels will try any gaps or holes that look interesting.

Usually though,they are looking for food, on the scent of a rodent or a bird.

If a mouse can get in, a snake can and may get in to.

I have some more videos from this weeks catches which Ill add to this thread later.

Stay safe

Happy for you to use them Snake Catcher, anything to help as you have been very helpful to us. :thumbsup: Let me know if you would like any more as I can take a couple more from different angles and ones that might be a bit clearer.

No pic redial?

I hope you have a camera handy when you see him next,

Sadly I will not have a camera until christmas day as I dropped mine at the airport on the way home and it's pretty much...stuffed. Hopefully he'll be out on chrissy and I'll get a nice shot of him.

• 8 months later...

I thought I would bump up this thread as it is that time of year again :o

It is warm here today, along with the warmth, flowers and great things about warmer weather, snakes are out and about.

We had a shocker of a year with snakes last year.

Stay safe everyone.

• 1 month later...

Those of you that know snakes...I have a question.

We've had a few nice, sunny, spring days and as a result we've seen a few snakes out and about. Then the weather took a turn for the worst and it's back to winter this weekend. So we went for a walk in the bush with the dogs to warm up. OH let his dog run free saying there will be no snakes as it's so cold they'll all go back into hibernation. I kept my dog on a lead cause I reckon once the snakes have awoken they don't go back into hibernation. So who's right?

Those of you that know snakes...I have a question.

We've had a few nice, sunny, spring days and as a result we've seen a few snakes out and about. Then the weather took a turn for the worst and it's back to winter this weekend. So we went for a walk in the bush with the dogs to warm up. OH let his dog run free saying there will be no snakes as it's so cold they'll all go back into hibernation. I kept my dog on a lead cause I reckon once the snakes have awoken they don't go back into hibernation. So who's right?

(not a snake expert ...but)

To the best of my knowledge ... snakes don't actually hibernate ... certainly I've had a dog bitten by a RBB in June (NSW, Rural, Hunter region) - We don't generally see them in the winter but they're there .. I think we somehow disturbed that one while getting firewood - maybe he was hibernating and we just woke him early.

Seen quite a few around this season and no way would I be assuming they've gone to sleep - particularly if a big wet nose pokes in under the log they've found to keep warm under.