When Will I Learn?

Weasels

While I was buying some dog supplies online I picked up a couple of IQube -type toys at $30 each, thinking they would keep the dogs entertained for a little while.

Within 90 seconds they had removed all of the internal toys, despite the box proclaiming extended periods of boredom-reducing doggy concentration. It has now been an hour since I got home and gave them the toys, and the Weasel has removed the squeaker from all bar one of the little toys (that's 6 squeakers total, or one every 10 mins). My girl dog has gone back to playing with half an old ball.

Please tell me I'm not the only person that keeps stupidly buying plush dog toys despite the voice in the back of my head telling me that this is exactly what will happen!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're $15 each now :laugh:

Aw dammit :(

yeah dont worry I get new stuff in at work, have a SQUEE moment and then end up with a loungeroom that looks like a murder scene

I at least managed to salvage some extra play time by re-stuffing one of the balls for him to destroy a second time :laugh:

my older Mal bitch play bows with the toy between her front paws and miniacally chews on the toy until the squeaker stops working, then the tearing noises begin. Eventually after the 40 seconds of manic terror her pupils return to normal size and she discards the now pile of drool covered detritis all over my house.

Guest donatella

my mum goes to the local dump shop or second hand store and gets those "fill a bag for $2" toys for my girl. the second she gets any stitches or stuffings apart they go in the bin but it doesn't faze me as they're cheap as chips . she mainly gets baby toys as they're safer and make more noise :thumbsup:

I have a kelpie who methodically dismembers stuffed toys and a bloodhound who has a bad habit of swallowing things he shouldn't - like bits of stuffed toy - so I am always on the lookout for things too tough for her to trash and too big for him to swallow - makes life interesting :)

:rofl: Thank you all for making me feel less alone!

I usually give them newspapers, drink bottles/cartons and boxes for their destructa-thons, but every now and again I get suckered by the bright colours and sleek packaging of 'real' toys.

One of the small toys was a squirrel, it had a perfect incision down its belly just big enough for the squeaker to get out, like he used the most efficient method of removal because he still had to get to all the other toys!

my mum's (late) dog managed to extract a cherry ripe from its wrapper and leave the wrapper intact looking untouched where it was. After that mum believed the "dingo took my baby" story.

I like to buy toys for under 3yo's from the local op shops and let them be destroyed. Recycling. I also like to get friends to give me their old socks because evil hound enjoys ripping up old socks. Ideally straight from the washing basket, clean or dirty, she doesn't seem to care. Sometimes I recycle stuffing into the socks...

Tennis balls are fun to pop. I don't know why. Real tennis balls that tennis clubs use and lose are the best.

One of the small toys was a squirrel, it had a perfect incision down its belly just big enough for the squeaker to get out, like he used the most efficient method of removal because he still had to get to all the other toys!

One of my hounds does that, she's only interested in toys as long as there's a squeaker to remove. Once that's gone.. "Meh, gonna go rip stuffing out of one of the beds now kthnxbai" :rolleyes:

my mum's (late) dog managed to extract a cherry ripe from its wrapper and leave the wrapper intact looking untouched where it was. After that mum believed the "dingo took my baby" story.

My dad got up to answer the phone once, leaving his sandwich unattended. Ren (our old dog) managed to extract and eat the ham, leaving all other fillings and bread in place. He was nicknamed Houdini after that. :D

:rofl: Thank you all for making me feel less alone!

I usually give them newspapers, drink bottles/cartons and boxes for their destructa-thons, but every now and again I get suckered by the bright colours and sleek packaging of 'real' toys.

discount store paint rollers are good. Cheap. Pretty hard to dismember. Good mouth feel. Not full of stuffing.

I'd say six squeekers in an hour shows both IQ and focus.:)

Edited by sandgrubber

Last year I drove with Tarja from Melbourne to Sydney for Christmas and I bought her an everlasting treat ball to keep her occupied in her crate. It took her 2 minutes to remove the treat from the ball, and another minute or so to eat the supposedly unchewable treat. :eek:

Ours use stuffed squeaker toys to turn our lounge/ kitchen/ backyard into a sheep shearing shed too. You oughta see what they did to a futon mattress - they must've thought all their stuffed toy wishes had come at once!

I heard about Invincibles snakes which have squeakers in them that keep squeaking but have no stuffing. Bought a 6 squeaker version. Although it did take them 3 months of (semi) supervised play, they methodically dismembered the snake from the tail up. The squeakers really do keep on squeaking even when punctured, but not when the ends of them get chewed off. I collected the body parts as they were destroyed and finally threw out what was left of the head not long ago. They looked so sad at the demise of their favourite toy so I bought them another one. Once again, I am their favourite human but I'm not sure I'm so popular with my neighbours....

Definately not alone... My two destroy the more expensive toys first, the cheap ones (so just cheapy stuffed toys from garage sales and what not) last forever.. Unfortuately since we got Ivy, poor Monte's toys that managed to stay intact from day one, have subsequently met an untimely end by destuffing.

my older Mal bitch play bows with the toy between her front paws and miniacally chews on the toy until the squeaker stops working, then the tearing noises begin. Eventually after the 40 seconds of manic terror her pupils return to normal size and she discards the now pile of drool covered detritis all over my house.

That's pretty much what happens here :laugh:

I've made my own now, using polar fleece and squeakers. I plait the fleece and plait the squeakers into it and then tie the plaits on big knots. I've had one of those that's lasted for a while.

:laugh: I guess we just have to enjoy the look of glee and pride on the dogs' faces when they 'defeat' a toy and try not to think about the sunk cost! I think there's a market for 'working-dog grade' puzzle toys tho.

Definately not alone... My two destroy the more expensive toys first, the cheap ones (so just cheapy stuffed toys from garage sales and what not) last forever.. Unfortuately since we got Ivy, poor Monte's toys that managed to stay intact from day one, have subsequently met an untimely end by destuffing.

I feel a bit sorry for my girl sometimes too since the weasel destroys every new toy we get, but then she goes over and just steals whatever toy she wants from him, so I suppose she's OK :laugh: