Best Dog Story Books

koolietas

Chris I've read that a few times it's a good one. Childrens novel really but a nice read for adults too. I love Lassie come home (well I would!) and the books that Albert Payson Terhune wrote are wonderful too. The scholastic books did quite a few lovely short children's dog stories. Elyne Mitchell who wrote the Silver Brumby books also wrote one about a Dingo.

Thanks I don't mind kids novels so I will look for it once I've finished my current series :)

Oh, that's Silver Brumby Silver Dingo! Read it when I was a kid after finding it at the library. Quite high priced when I looked the other week to purchase it, as it wasn't one of her more well-known ones. She also did one with a cattle dog if I recall correctly. One of the newer ones - Thousandth Brumby it may have been. I love her work :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some children's books are Bill and Stanley and the Harry The Dirty Dog series as well as the Angus and the Ducks series.

I did lash out (won $70 on Golden Casket) a while back and buy Gallant and Dopey by Marjory Turner..marvelous pictures!

One I recommend to any dog love is 'A Dog's Purpose'. Absolutely incredible read, I loved it dearly and have reread it several times. A dog named Bailey gets reincarnated as different dogs, each time learning something crucial to his next life. The perspective is so utterly canine, you can really believe that's how a dog would think and feel. I don't have enough good things to say about this book :)

I completely agree! :thumbsup: I just adore this book :)

I also like

Beautiful Joe - the autobiography of a dog (Marshall Saunders)

Through A Dog's Eyes (Jennfier Arnold)

if you have an ereader beautiful joe is free through amazon

You have a link for that??? I can't find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...18296041&sr=1-1

Not available to Australia :mad

One I recommend to any dog love is 'A Dog's Purpose'. Absolutely incredible read, I loved it dearly and have reread it several times. A dog named Bailey gets reincarnated as different dogs, each time learning something crucial to his next life. The perspective is so utterly canine, you can really believe that's how a dog would think and feel. I don't have enough good things to say about this book :)

I also like

It is available in book form here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beautiful-Joe-Autobiography-Dog-/120768468753?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item1c1e5c9711

and here: http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/advanced_search_result.php?rid=149475459&keywords=Beautiful%20Joe%20An%20Autobiography%20of%20a%20Dog

I have a beautiful book called "Old Dogs are the best dogs"by Gene Weingarten.It is a tribute to old dogs,a celebration of their special virtues.Each page has a black and white portrait and their story.For anyone that has loved an old dog this is a special book.

I also like

thats weird available in new zealand but not australia

Horrie the Wog Dog - All the Lassie series, still have a read of the 1945 edition of 'Lassie Come Home'.

'Great Dog Stories of Australia and New Zealand' mainly about working dogs. Actually any 'doggy' books get a read.

Interesting foreword in 'Great Dog Stories' 1968 - conclusion of foreword by Jack Pollard --

"Dogs are not having an easy time in many parts of Australia and New Zealand. with licensed dog catchers spreading fast. New expressways and more motorists provide hazards all their own. even for alert, well-disciplined dogs. Before they are pushed so far into the bush that only countrymen will know them, this is a reminder of what many of them have done for us."

Maybe a prophesy?

question > does anyone remember a book (maybe for teenagers, maybe not) but it was a novel, with a dog which I think was either a Wolf or Husky & it may have been called Sascha or something like that? It was based on a true story I think, in Northern America. I really liked the book, read it in school but can never remember the name!

question > does anyone remember a book (maybe for teenagers, maybe not) but it was a novel, with a dog which I think was either a Wolf or Husky & it may have been called Sascha or something like that? It was based on a true story I think, in Northern America. I really liked the book, read it in school but can never remember the name!

Yup I know the one you mean, I found it in a second-hand book shop but I never reread it because it has a sad ending :p It's printed as both 'My Wolf, My Friend' and 'Sasha, My Friend' and written by Barbara Corcoran.

She was indeed a wolf, though the girl's father passed her off as a husky to some suspicious neighbours :)

You should be able to find a copy secondhand pretty inexpensively; but if not just drop me a message and I'll post you my copy. Usually I am a book hoarder because I read over and over but yeah, waaaay too sad for me.

Yup I know the one you mean, I found it in a second-hand book shop but I never reread it because it has a sad ending :p It's printed as both 'My Wolf, My Friend' and 'Sasha, My Friend' and written by Barbara Corcoran.

She was indeed a wolf, though the girl's father passed her off as a husky to some suspicious neighbours :)

You should be able to find a copy secondhand pretty inexpensively; but if not just drop me a message and I'll post you my copy. Usually I am a book hoarder because I read over and over but yeah, waaaay too sad for me.

Oh thank you for letting me know! And I don't remember the sad ending? :confused: I will try to find a copy, thanks again :)

Oh thank you for letting me know! And I don't remember the sad ending? :confused: I will try to find a copy, thanks again :)

Ooops! Sorry, I didn't meant for that to be a minor spoiler... err... is has it's positive points? :doh:

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

My brain is very tired tonight but there are two or three books written by a Brisbane journo about his dog Lucky who they took on a sailing adventure. The name Lucky is always in the title and they were heartwarming stories. The others I've read this year include the book about Oogy who was a dog fighting bait pup who is very disfigured but adored by his humans and Giant George, the world's tallest great dane. It is a bit like a Marley and Me but how they manage this huge dog who towers over even kitchen benches and sleeps on a queen sized mattress on the floor of their bedroom is funny. Sorry I can't remember the exact titles but their names are in it so it shouldn't be hard to search.

I have a beautiful book called "Old Dogs are the best dogs"by Gene Weingarten.It is a tribute to old dogs,a celebration of their special virtues.Each page has a black and white portrait and their story.For anyone that has loved an old dog this is a special book.

Someone gave that to me after I had to part with my old girl Ricky this year. She was nearly 17 and it helped me to realise how lucky I was that she got to such a grand age because so many beloved dogs don't. They don't live long enough if you ask me. Why the hell does a cockatoo need to live to 80 or a tortoise to 150 when old in some dogs can be only 8?