Preferred Dry Food

wow! I can't beleive the supercoat users in here :o

I thought most people would frown at supercoat!

I;m only switching over because of what i found out about bi products and how they aren't very good... any other supercoat people heard of this?

My dogs are on supercoat light and mature, they go good but coat and stools tend to change alot... nice thread :rofl:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found Advance the best for mine, nice coats, enhances their coats and they generally look really good, I use Large Breed Growth, as they are active dogs, also give them some fresh mince, bones and vegies occassionally, I also like BARF.

Out of all the Supercoat lines, I liked the Performance best, but found some would get hot spots from time to time. Did try Puppy on my young ones, they would get diarrohea after awhile, the same too with the others, I ended throwing in the bin, near full bags. I think now they have changed ingredients too and fillers (wheat/rice etc) is the number 1 ingredient? Don't touch it any longer.

Edited by holly

Guest magnum

We have used most dry food on our German Shepherds over the years as most do, but we have found the best by far to Pedigree Advance.

It keeps our kids in tip top shape, they also get fresh beef meat & lots of bones.

Their coats have a lovely shine & are never out of coat for too long.

We had a bitch bloat on Pro Plan so that was the main reason we changed to Advance & she has never looked better.

Canidae plus raw.

Canidae has been on the Whole Dog Journal's Top Ten Dog food list for several years and I'm just lucky that a breeder here imports it. No more expensive than most premium brands and I'm now very happy with my Cavalier's condition.

http://www.canidae.com/canidae.ingredients.html

When showing, working & breeding ESSs I used a mix of Eucanuba, Super Coat and Pedigree, just following my old vets advice of not feeding just one 'complete' food. Worked well for me. ymmd.

Eagle Pack for my dogs.

I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that compared the Protein/fat/energy/vitamin/mineral contents of most of the feeds, and Eagle Pack came out on top.

Also - Eagle Pack doesn't use OFFAL (which has been treated with preservatives) for their meat protein source, like other "Super Premium" brands do.

Edited by Kez

Chief used to be on Royal Canin, but we had to change to a tinned food (Science diet) when he decided he didn't want to eat kibble anymore (except as a reward in training?!?!). We think he went off it 'cause he was loosing puppy teeth at the time, so we're trying to get him back on it. He was doing better on it, coat was much shinier than on the tins for one.

Some of the other high quality dry goods which address certain physical problems (ie skin and allergy) are worthwhile as well, but for a base food, Eagle Pack in my opinion in the best overall.

Sure it is expensive like all the other high quality foods, but you get what you pay for.

Guest Lobo's Cheeky Chops

My staffy Lobo is a Eukanuba fan, but after reading the post about Eagle Pack being good for itchy pooches (staffy skin :D ), I think I might have to give it a go.

Just wondering if you could let me know where i get it from ?

My lot are on Iams at the moment, I swap and change all the time with the dry food. Especially as the local City Farmers had 2 bags for price of 1 on premium foods not long ago... stocked up with all sorts!

Both used to be on Supercoat, was great for a while, then something must have changed as I noticed stools went loose, Chelsea packed on weight (on same amount of food) and both got a bit hyper.

Also feed lots of raw foods for nice shiney teeth and coats

Eagle Pack for my Border Terrier & Supercoat for the other 4 doggies.

Would love to use EP for them all but financially I don't think it'd be possible lol. The Supercoat Adult seems to do well for them though- for my 5 yr Newfy, 9yr Dobe X, 11yr Shih Tzu & 15 month Kelpie.

Used to feed Proplan but had a bit of a falling out with Purina over a PR issue.

I use Iams now, but would use Eukie if I could get it reliably here. I do try to raise the pups on Euk puppy if possible but the last couple litters have been Iams puppy and they seem to do just fine.

For now, it's Iams Minichunks and I use a Canadian dehydrated food called NRG. It's sort of a lazy man's raw diet. proteins are cooked but the rest is just dehydrated. Dogs love it, it's great to travel with and they seem to do well with it.

I have one with suspected allergies. Tired Advance turkey & rice, Eukanuba lamb, Science diet for sensitive skin, & prescription diet z/d. Now he is one eagle pack salmon, sardine & anchovy. The best result by far is on the eagle pack. i now only give a tiny amount of cortisone maybe only once a month, not once a week like before. so eagle pack gets my vote.

My pup was on Eukanuba for the first 3 months, now I have switched to Supercoat for both my dogs - Lite and Mature for my older staffy and Puppy for my pup. They also get a mix of roo mince/heart/liver/kidney/rice instead of tinned food.

Euk and optimum they wouldn't eat science diet and every now and again royal canine for shepherds (the cats love it) plenty of brisket bones and pig ears and lots of veges.

I use BARF as is easier for me

But have found Advance turk and Rice puts incredible shine on coats, so always have a bag.

Have just stocked Royal Canin and Nutrience, have heard some wonderful things about these products from prob dogs.

Ive never tried Eagle pack and dont stock it as yet but have heard they are wonderful in GSD field? Maybe you should guive them a call Holly...know many GSD`s with allergies just usin Euk, changed to BARF and much better?

Very interested in Eagle Pack users and feedback, cos altho we dont stock at the moment thinking of doing it....because looking at the samples and test driving on cats and dogs they seem to love it?