What Brand Of Dry Food Do You Feed Your Dog?

168 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of dog food do you feed your dog/s?

• Black Hawk Holistic
    • Advance
    • Artemis
    • Canidae
    • Nutro
    • Royal canin
    • Eagle Pack
    • Holistic Select
    • Eukanuba
    • Pro Plan
    • Science diet
    • Dick VP Natural Balance
    • Not on this list
    • Other
    • Do not feed dry food
  2. 2. What brand of dog food do you feed your dog/s?

• Bonnie
    • Coprice
    • Uncle Albers
    • Super Coat
    • Earthborn Holistic
    • Nutrience
    • Innova
    • Ziwipeak
    • Iams
    • Optimum
    • Pedigree
    • Purina
    • Not on this list
    • Other
    • Do not feed dry food

Hi everyone, Just thought I would do this Poll, as I'm interested in what brand of dry food everyone is feeding their dog/s atm.

I've been feeding Advance to my dogs for quite some years now, but I'm in the process of making the switch to Black Hawk, which so far is going very well. :)

I've also tried Super coat, Eagle pack, & Holistic select in the past, but these foods didn't really agree with my dogs.

So please tell me what you feed your dogs :D I've tried to list as many brands as I could think of, but of course there will probably be some that I have left out.... you can just tick other if this is the case, & post what you feed your dogs.

If you don't feed dry food at all,you can just tick Do not feed dry food.

Thanks everyone. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to vote, ticked black hawk but when I clicked vote it tells me I have to vote in both sections??

Like you I have tried lots of other food, Pro plan, eagle pack, Nutro just to name a few, I only have one that liked a dry diet only and the others were all on raw. After reading about black hawk in one of GayleKs thread I decided why not give it a go for all 4 of mine and we have never looked back, not only is it good price wise, they do great on it, nice coats, lots of energy, low output in the garden :laugh: etc etc. It win win all round. Two of mine are a tad on the tubby side and the two that aren't were heading that way too on such a small amount even with plenty of excersise, so now all 4 of mine are on the light variety.

Edited by tlc

I tried to vote, ticked black hawk but when I clicked vote it tells me I have to vote in both sections??

Like you I have tried lots of other food, Pro plan, eagle pack, Nutro just to name a few, I only have one that liked a dry diet only and the others were all on raw. After reading about black hawk in one of GayleKs thread I decided why not give it a go for all 4 of mine and we have never looked back, not only is it good price wise, they do great on it, nice coats, lots of energy, low output in the garden :laugh: etc etc. It win win all round. Two of mine are a tad on the tubby side and the two that aren't were heading that way too on such a small amount even with plenty of excersise, so now all 4 of mine are not he light variety.

With the other list, just tick "Not on this list" & then you will be able to vote in both sections. :)

I have made the switch to Black Hawk for all the same reasons as you, I'm just hoping it will work out for my dogs in the long run. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Mine have just gone over to Black Hawk and are loving it, the two who usually need a bit of coaxing are the first in line waiting now. They get supercoat sensitive in the morning, then chicken mince and blackhawk for their main meal. A couple of them had very itchy skin for a long time, but are very rarely scratching these days, so I am really pleased, and I guess so are they.

Guest lavendergirl

I am currently trying Holistic Select - the fish based one - as I am looking for a food to help with skin issues. He has been on it for 2 weeks so far and I think he is even more itchy. :(

I forgot to mention also that one of my girls was always itchy, not overly but it was there and hated me touching her front feet, not no more itches and I can do anything to her feet without a flinch.

My preferred brand is Advance, but I often use Uncle Albers for my foster dogs.

My dogs are fed mostly raw food, but they are fed dry:

*When they are puppies/pregnant/lactating

*When I forget to defrost raw food

*If they are a foster and for some reason are not doing well on raw food

Currently I feed Black Hawk, Eukanuba, Advance, Hills & another dry food that my supplier sells which is cheap but suits our Dobe better than any of the expensive ones.

I have found that my dogs are very much individuals and one dry food does not 'fit' all dogs.

I've always gone back to RC after trialling different brands, so have stuck with it for the last few yrs, but we dont feed dry every day, except for pup's. I have found the RC caused no upset tum's or loose stools (proplan was the worse for my dogs for this as well as hill's), I have fed my last 2 puppies (now adults) on RC and now my bitch is pregnant have been giving her RC everyday, I started off with the RC adult (med), then have Switched to RC starter reproductive from week 7...i 'by chance' found this in their range as its not readily available, it is awesome, it smells so nice (really meaty) and my bitch loves it, it is designed for the last few weeks of gestation, lactation and weening.

I did try canidae all ages and although dogs liked it i found the amount of stools to much even when only given it a few times a week...and the wind they had...omg...that was deathly lol.

My two are both on Royal Canin and I'm really happy with it. Zeus is on RC Sensitive Medium and is super fit, has a lovely shiny coat and gorgeous muscle tone; people are always commenting on how shiny he is!

Kirah's on RC Small puppy at the moment and is doing very well on it. Her coat is also nice and shiny and she's growing nicely and in proportion. She's not pudgy and has a little waistline of her own happening.

I've been contemplating switching to Black Hawk because of all the good things I hear about it, however, I've decided I'm happy with how RC is working for my guys so I might as well stick with it. Plus it's not very expensive (and I only feed dry (with weekly bones too of course :)) as Zeus is gets half a cup per day, which is bugger all when you've got two dogs on different size-appropriate food! :thumbsup:

Proplan here.

I have previously used Royal Canin which I was really happy with, but as my dogs are different sizes I had to feed them different foods which annoyed me. On Proplan they both just get "adult" food.

I have also used Blackhawk but my girl had some health issues on it which stopped after we changed to Proplan.

My Ridgeback is fed raw only.

The new puppy is coming to me on Bonnie and then will be switched to Nutro (and eventually raw).

Having fed raw for so long I know bugger all about dry foods and there are way too many out there to choose from! In the end I chose Nutro simply because it's Australian made. If Nutro doesn't work we will probably give Royal Canin a whirl.