How Did Everyone Fall In Love Their Pooch?

huskies4life88

After a two year world wide search, I found our baby boy in Sweden and picked him from the many videos his breeder sent us. It was a further 12 weeks until I got to meet him and he was definitely worth the wait.

He just had his first birthday so I made a video of his journey. I think the Savage Garden song 'I Knew I Loved You' sums it up quite nicely.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fell in love with my first sheltie's mother when she came up to Sydney to be mated. I had never seen a sheltie before and getting to know Krystal over the few days that she stayed with me, I really wanted a pup. We moved into our new house and then a few weeks later, got the news that Krystal had had her litter. I was asked if I would like one of the pups - asked if I could have a girl. There was only one and Gypsy came to live with me. She became my heartdog instantly and we both learnt about showing together (was talked into giving it a try). She loved being in the show ring and became a Grand champion. She was also my foundation bitch and all my shelties come down from her. I was also given her brother when my sister-in-law couldn't keep him - Rambo was the most loving sheltie and adored everyone. He also did well in the ring.

I had to say goodbye to both of them within six months of each other but they both enjoyed long & happy lives and have left behind their children for me to love.

Harrison was given to me - I didn't meet him until the day I picked him up at the airport (he was sent from Perth to Melbourne). He huddled in the far corner of the passenger seat looking very timid, but so cute & fluffy:

28-8-07003.jpg

When he sired a litter of puppies, I HAD to keep Dylan, the cheekiest one:

Puppies13-5-08026.jpg

Both boys grew up to be stunners

Harrison now

Hazza250811004.jpg

Dylan now

Dylan.jpg

They take their "powernapping" practice VERY seriously :laugh:

I'm a total sucker for pretty much any dog... I think I can find something to love in them all... *grin*

My current three all touch me in similar yet different ways.

Zeddy - 12 year old Rotti/Pittie cross - was supposed to be my then boyfriend's dog - she decided that she liked me much better... and I love her to death too.

Trouble - 5.5 year old Labrador (possibly something else - maybe Dingo - in her mix) - who can't love a Labrador puppy? Even though she was the naughtiest and most destructive terror when she was younger, she managed to grab hold of my heart and won't let go...

Pickles - 1 year old camp dog (born in an Aboriginal camp in the Northern Territory) - came to me as a foster pup for rescue. She is disabled - walks funny due to a brain injury. This girl is something special - she really doesn't know that she is disabled - and has the most happy and sunny personality that I just fell in love completely and adopted her myself.

I have had a few other dogs share my heart and life over the years - and each of them have been totally different in the ways that they all have stolen a small piece of my soul when they had to leave me - but I wouldn't have it any other way.

T.

It took us 10 months to find a pup. We were having zero luck finding a good breeder when all of a sudden I got an email one from one I'd contacted about two months prior to check what sex dog I was after, and whether I wanted a show or companion pup. I said I'd prefer a dog to a bitch, but I'd take either, and I'd also prefer a companion dog. Kyojin was supposed to have been adopted by someone else but they pulled out on the day they were meant to take him home. When the breeder described Kyojin to me he sounded absolutely perfect. I asked him how soon he could send him to me. Three days later I picked up my beautiful boy from the airport. I had seen one photo of him when he was about 5 weeks younger, so I got a huge surprise when I first saw him. He had already grown four times the size! He was the most stunning pup I'd ever seen in my life and I knew I loved him straight away. When the roller doors at the airport went up, we busted four or five airport staff crowding around him giving him cuddles and fussing over him. :laugh: As we walked out with him we ran into a mother and her two kids and spent about 20 minutes with them letting them give him cuddles. I loved how much joy he brought to us instantly and how much joy he brought to others. He still makes people smile and laugh wherever we go. I love him to pieces :)

I don't do love at first sight. Bringing an animal into my life is exciting because I get to learn who they are. For me, loving them is knowing them. Kivi was the only boy in his litter, and I wanted a boy, so no real choice, there. He is an utter darling. A bit special. In a Kivi way. Erik I didn't meet until he arrived at the airport. I did get to choose him. I picked him because I have a soft spot for fiesty little devils. He sure has taught me a lot! He is loads of fun.

Suki was supposed to be a foster. The moment I layed my eyes on her she was not going anywhere. Flea infested, major hair loss due to chronic skin issues, completely matted where she did still have some fur, terrible teeth and a huge overbite. She was a very sorry sight :(. She was shivering in fear and as soon as I picked her up she pushed her little nose under my arm and this is where she stayed the whole trip home. By the time we arrived home she had decided that I was her person and she has not left my side since. She has helped heal my heart after the loss of my last dog and I love her to bits... funny little face and all :).

My old dog, Harry, a cross terrier/many others, was pts during an operation for a tumour...unfortunately they had spread to other parts of his body. Anyway I lasted about a week from missing the tack tack tack of doggie toe nails on the floor, so was hunting on line for a Westie as I had always wanted one.

I saw in the Trading Post and DOL an ad for two older Westies about 100k's away. We went to their place next day and had a cuppa outside at the picnic table with the owner. Penny came over and put her front paws up on the seat beside me and stretched back her head and smiled...showing what was left of her front teeth :laugh: Mac just looked a little vague.

We bought them both that moment and they have made us laugh so much.

I saw Daisy advertised on DOL as an ex-breeder, I contacted the owner and she said we could buy her.I didn't like her much when we went to pick her up....scatty and no manners, I wasn't really impressed with the conditions and the fact they were selling her not spayed, so just quickly handed over the $200 to get her out of there.

They are all my best buddies now and I love them to bits.

Edited by Boronia

Guest english.ivy

My Belgian Shepherd Ivy was my first dog after losing my heart dog [an English Pointer] very suddenly from cancer in 2005. The death of Penny really messed me up and I went dogless for four years.

When my heart was ready to love a dog again, Ivy just seemed to appear in my life and it's been joy ever since. She came from Hobart and I live in Perth, so I never met her until she arrived. Ivy is my world.

I'll never forget that Sunday morning. Nor will I forget the Sunday morning I met Penny back in 1998.

Then with Badger, my Pointer, I was ready to add another English Pointer back in my life as I adore the breed but knew I wasn't ready for another black, so I went in search for a liver male and Badger appeared and he's also perfect and I love him to bits.

Sally: picked her from a litter of 5 pups - 4 boys and Sally. Wanted a girl. BYB breeder (didn't know any better 17 years ago!) Very quickly became my heart dog. Miss her terribly. :cry:

Zoom: ad in paper, reg'd (but really BY) breeder, couldn't leave him there - terrible conditions. Did loads of obedience training with him and developed a strong bond, but whenever my OH is around, Zoom belongs to him!! :laugh:

Jess: found her listed as a 10 week old on a rescue site somewhere, 10 years ago. Owner had bought her in to Perth from Adelaide and found out she was just too much to handle. Gorgeous puppy and became a decent working dog. Kept a beautiful pup from her first litter - Dusty, but gave him to ppl who bought a pup that then died at age 3 months (snake, possibly). Got him back at age 12 months after they didn't bond with him and he was mistreated. Couldn't then keep him as I had the Salukis by then and although he got along with them really well, he was a fence jumper and I didn't want to keep him chained up all day while I was at work. Gave him to friends where he still works their goats and deer to this day. Best decision for him and for us, but loved him dearly.

Arella: waited 12 months for her litter to be born, picked her grizzle sister who unfortunately died. 4 months later breeder contacted me and said she was willing to send me Arella (then Angel) who she no longer could care for as her health (breeder's not dog's!) was declining and she couldn't get out to shows any more. Collected Arella at 5 months of age from my mum's (who collected her from the airport) on my 30th birthday and fell in LOVE - Arella, not so much... She's fairly... independent!! :D

Moss: Arella's half-brother who flew from Perth at 10 weeks of age, about a year after Arella was born. He bonded strongly with me and is definitely "my dog". He is my favourite, since Sally has gone, and he knows it. :D :rofl:

Meg: From Jess's 2nd litter (unplanned!! :mad ) when she was no longer living with us. Had a terribly difficult time getting to bond with her because she was so feral and so unruly. Now that she's 3 and has settled somewhat, she's actually really fun to train because she's very smart. She's really starting to grow on me.

I was talking to an SA rescue service about one of their 5 year olds... and then the hot water service blew up... so I had to pull out...

Then a few weeks later I was early to a work meeting (unheard of!) telling a colleague I was looking for an adult dog to give a home to. She flipped me an email that she had just received about some dogs who needed a home and I answered it (Turned out to be a number of ex-Freedom Kennels dogs who had narrowly avoided a bullet). I had a nice few emails from the man on the other end of my colleague's email and yet I doubted I'd hear from him again...

I was wrong. I received an email from him a few weeks later asking would I be interested in meeting a 6 year old westie who needed a home? Would I what! My dream breed which I never thought I could afford, let alone find the adult that I really wanted. (I had fallen in love with a neighbours elderly westie some years before). Apparently, I was the only one who asked any questions and they picked me out of 30 or 40 enquiries! (Yes there is a God!)

So I met my darling Mac on the Adelaide Cup holiday in March 2006 at his foster families home and it was love at first sight. I sat on the ground and he crawled into my lap and hasn't left it since. He came on a two week trial (to see if he would get on with the cat - he did!) and of course has been here ever since. And the bonus is his foster Mum and Dad have become two of my most treasured friends.

I love all three of my westies deeply - but Mac is my heart dog - he was my first westie and I adore him. :) Absolutley nothing I wouldn't do for him.

post-11746-0-35623700-1319372656_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

I was talking to an SA rescue service about one of their 5 year olds... and then the hot water service blew up... so I had to pull out...

Then a few weeks later I was early to a work meeting (unheard of!) telling a colleague I was looking for an adult dog to give a home to. She flipped me an email that she had just received about some dogs who needed a home and I answered it (Turned out to be a number of ex-Freedom Kennels dogs who had narrowly avoided a bullet). I had a nice few emails from the man on the other end of my colleague's email and yet I doubted I'd hear from him again...

I was wrong. I received an email from him a few weeks later asking would I be interested in meeting a 6 year old westie who needed a home? Would I what! My dream breed which I never thought I could afford, let alone find the adult that I really wanted. (I had fallen in love with a neighbours elderly westie some years before). Apparently, I was the only one who asked any questions and they picked me out of 30 or 40 enquiries! (Yes there is a God!)

So I met my darling Mac on the Adelaide Cup holiday in March 2006 at his foster families home and it was love at first sight. I sat on the ground and he crawled into my lap and hasn't left it since. He came on a two week trial (to see if he would get on with the cat - he did!) and of course has been here ever since. And the bonus is his foster Mum and Dad have become two of my most treasured friends.

I love all three of my westies deeply - but Mac is my heart dog - he was my first westie and I adore him. :) Absolutley nothing I wouldn't do for him.

We spent ages trying to decide what breed of dog to get for our son and family, researched the breeds we liked and that fitted in with our lifestyle. It came down to two, an ex racing greyhound or a whippet. The waiting list for cat friendly greyhounds was another 8 months or so; after four months of searching we bought Ella a tiny blue whippet who was only two days old, We got photo updates from the bybreeder of her progress and I was besotted with this tiny little blue girl. It was about 4 weeks after her birth when our son said I wish we could have had a patchy dog and I could have called him Patch. Next time I spoke to the breeder she said she had a lovely white and blue boy left and we could swap if we wanted; broke my heart even thinking about it. Ended up we bought both and although there have been quite a few issues with Patch healthwise (really low immunity)we adore them.

Jed was our first foster, we did end up getting a greyhound as well who sadly passed over the bridge quite quickly. Jed was a nightmare, you could not get near him, walking him he walked on the end of the lead as far away as he could, but my Hubby saw something. He also had pannus and I was thinking why would anyone ever adopt a dog like this. Well gradually he started to come to me and by the time he left for his home I was really sad to see him go. I rang after a week to see how he was and things were getting on well. Rang after the trial of two weeks was up and she was still happy and didn't think anything more of it. A week later I got a phone call, couldn't get him to eat and he was not fitting in, and as he was so shy she asked if I would keep him if she gave him to me. I did say yes but wondered if I had done the right thing. He had lost 5 and a half kilos in weight and I barely recognised him. He walked straight in and plopped onto the bed he had been sleeping on and went to sleep. We get to see a side of him that very few do because he is so scared and only really feels comfortable with us in his home.

Snips was a show dog , unsuitable for the ring because of her ears popping up; we were approached to take her because of a lady who knew us and our dogs. We went to look at her and OMG!!!!! she spent the first 19 months or so of her life in a crate and then was let out into a yard and she was a nutbag!!!!! Of course she licked the OH's hand and would not come anywhere near me!!! Yes she went home with us and now there are four!!! The fosters come and go and each one teaches Jed that life is not that scary.

BTW Snips is a snuggler and she cuddles me, so now I have this thing that any dog that doesn't like me ends up staying and being my shadow.

30.jpg

JedandSnips.jpg

Great pics & stories.

We chose Alan from a breeder in QLD from six fat, cheeky black male pups. He vommed all over my partner's lap on the drive home. We had been talking about adopting a dog for some time though that afternoon, headed out without the intention of bringing one home. Couldn't resist. Alan was the second largest boy in the litter.

ETA: Just wanted to say, no it wasn't love at first sight - it was bloody hard work raising a puppy. It still can be, and if I miss our daily hour long walk, Alan lets me know it's not acceptable! He's never been a terror as such, but definitely needs lots of work to blow off steam. I would say it's only more recently, at 12 months+, that we've really bonded and now he's well and truly part of the family.

It's been quite a journey guiding a wilful lab pup into a 30kg+ teenager (now 16 months) but he's great company, loyal and protective of his property and watching him become friends to our resident cats is just hilarious. We're now starting the search for a companion yellow lab for him.

He seems to be fairly happy with life...

P3210471640x480.jpg

P1230308640x480.jpg

Edited by AlanMatic

Charlie and I bonded pretty much as first sight. There is no denying that he is my dog and I'm his person.

Emmy, I loved her before I got her, but bonding with her took a little longer (but a few minutes :laugh: ). But, as she gets older and more mature, I'm falling more and more in love with her (and i didn't think that was possible).

Funny, Mr CW told me yesterday that he never thought he could love Charlie or Em as much as he did.... but he absolutely head over heels with Charlie and Em.

Edited by CW EW

Guest english.ivy

is that ivy the black puppy dog in your signature?? if so shes bloody gorgeous!!!!

Yes that is Miss Ivy and thank you :) She's the apple of my eye.

I need to update those photos.

Well with Lili we went to see the breeder to choose a pup. We knew we wanted a girl and there were only 2 left. One look at her and I'd made my decision!

With Mo, well, he was surrendered in to the pound where I worked, and again, as soon as I saw him I told them to put my name down on him and took him home that weekend.

Love at first sight on both counts :D

I looked at the little snot and mud covered pup with a belly full of worms and had to save him.

He was much to young to be sold but we took him anyway, just to get him out of there..

That was 14 years and 4 months ago now..

As an old man, I think he is even more precious now than he was the first day we saw him.