How Dd You Convince Your Oh To Get Another Dog?

Atanquin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A while ago after a few beers my husband said he would consider another dog as long as it was a golden retriever. Well my husband and mate went trekking in Nepal for a month..... unfortunately no phone contact and there just happened to be this golden retriever that needed a home!! I would have phoned and asked if I could but.................... Case closed.

I would never get an animal without discussing it at length with OH. He will have to at least feed them once in a while when I'm not around. He is part of the family, so he gets a say, obviously. I didn't have to convince him when we had Penny that we should get a puppy as well. It was understood and we had been looking at breeds together. When Penny died, it didn't take long for us to get another dog. Kivi obviously needed a friend, and I had a big hole in my heart I wanted to be distracted from, and I was working from home so in a good position to raise a puppy.

We lost both our lagomorphs this year, so we are down to just the dogs. I didn't want to get another rabbit, and we are in agreement about that. OH would be happy with just the dogs, but I want something else. He doesn't understand, but if I say I want something else he can accept that. I said I wanted some native doves, and he was not keen on that. So I suggested a miniature goat and suddenly the doves were a shoe-in. ;) We have kind of said we only want two dogs. I have entertained the idea of getting a third a few years down the track, but I keep changing my mind about it. I think I'm happy with the two boys for the moment at least. I wouldn't get a third dog without making sure OH was well and truly on board. It wouldn't be fair. He does half the feeding and helps walk them and gives them cuddles and pays a lot of the vet bills. He is also utterly devoted to the dogs we have and takes their welfare very seriously. Getting another dog would absolutely impact on them and he would be pretty pissed off if I did something that was going to impact on them without talking it over with him.

Great post Corvus.

I would definitely discuss it with my OH. Whilst he would never say no as it is not in his nature I would very much take his opinion into account. He is by no means unreasonable and if he actually had some serious objections it is probably for good reason! His stance would be these are my reasons but in the end it is really your call as I am the one that I feeds, trains and generally do the majority of work with her. He would genuinely support whatever decision I make, bless him.

On the flip side I certainly would not want him to bring home a dog without discussing it either. We are talking a potential 15 or so year commitment with any luck and I would say that that warrants a discussion:).

Gotta love some of the stories in this thread though, a few of them have made me laugh out loud!

I train, feed, exercise, everythign the dogs. Even my OH very old boy that needs daily medication and a very close eye (as soon as the OH walks in the room I am dumped!!)

So when the third dog became available he was like well you do everything so it's up to you.

I wouldn't just go out and get one, I am far more subtle than that. I plant the seed tend it gently then pounce the moment a small sign of agreement is shown :)

I would never get an animal without discussing it at length with OH. He will have to at least feed them once in a while when I'm not around. He is part of the family, so he gets a say, obviously. I didn't have to convince him when we had Penny that we should get a puppy as well. It was understood and we had been looking at breeds together. When Penny died, it didn't take long for us to get another dog. Kivi obviously needed a friend, and I had a big hole in my heart I wanted to be distracted from, and I was working from home so in a good position to raise a puppy.

We lost both our lagomorphs this year, so we are down to just the dogs. I didn't want to get another rabbit, and we are in agreement about that. OH would be happy with just the dogs, but I want something else. He doesn't understand, but if I say I want something else he can accept that. I said I wanted some native doves, and he was not keen on that. So I suggested a miniature goat and suddenly the doves were a shoe-in. ;) We have kind of said we only want two dogs. I have entertained the idea of getting a third a few years down the track, but I keep changing my mind about it. I think I'm happy with the two boys for the moment at least. I wouldn't get a third dog without making sure OH was well and truly on board. It wouldn't be fair. He does half the feeding and helps walk them and gives them cuddles and pays a lot of the vet bills. He is also utterly devoted to the dogs we have and takes their welfare very seriously. Getting another dog would absolutely impact on them and he would be pretty pissed off if I did something that was going to impact on them without talking it over with him.

I do agree with this, but I think it also comes down to you and your relationship. I have wanted a doberman for years - for as long as I can remember and I couldn't imagine going through life and missing out on ever owning one. I figured I would be able to find at least one guy who would still like me despite my doberman. Now we have been together for almost 3 years, so yeah, things are a little different. But I don't honestly think it would work between me and someone who didn't want any dogs or only liked small fluffy dogs or something - Sammy is a huge huge part of my life.

I think this is going to be different for every individual and relationship.

I tell my OH I want a baby; then he always leaves the puppy listing on DOL "accidentally" on my PC. Bless him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just show my OH a pic of the new pup/dog I am getting, he never complains as they are my dogs and I do all the work and he gets all the cuddles.

OH has so many boys toys that he could never dare complain :D

100_8151.jpg

Leanne

OH has so many boys toys that he could never dare complain

Whenever I mentioned that I got told mine cost money constantly and his were a one off purchase...............then he got his remote controlled car. He went spare parts shopping and it cost $160, then he needed a new motor, spares incase he broke this and this (again).

Now he can no longer use that argument. I also remind him that his stuff does not give cuddles like my money burners do :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I do agree with this, but I think it also comes down to you and your relationship. I have wanted a doberman for years - for as long as I can remember and I couldn't imagine going through life and missing out on ever owning one. I figured I would be able to find at least one guy who would still like me despite my doberman. Now we have been together for almost 3 years, so yeah, things are a little different. But I don't honestly think it would work between me and someone who didn't want any dogs or only liked small fluffy dogs or something - Sammy is a huge huge part of my life.

Absolutely. I 'came' with a rabbit, a hare, and a dog, and they were non-negotiable. It was understood they wouldn't be the last pets I would ever have. OH and I share the responsibility for the dogs because that's the way OH approaches sharing a life with someone. If he was happy to let me do my own thing with them, it wouldn't be so important that I discuss animal-related things with him to such an extent. I would definitely not be with someone who was not cool with pets. I'd never be happy. I love the fact that they are every bit as important to OH as they are to me. I love that I can trust him to make good decisions for them. It's nice having someone who cares about them as much as I do and knows them as well as I do to help me make decisions about them.

Absolutely. I 'came' with a rabbit, a hare, and a dog, and they were non-negotiable. It was understood they wouldn't be the last pets I would ever have. OH and I share the responsibility for the dogs because that's the way OH approaches sharing a life with someone. If he was happy to let me do my own thing with them, it wouldn't be so important that I discuss animal-related things with him to such an extent. I would definitely not be with someone who was not cool with pets. I'd never be happy. I love the fact that they are every bit as important to OH as they are to me. I love that I can trust him to make good decisions for them. It's nice having someone who cares about them as much as I do and knows them as well as I do to help me make decisions about them.

Your OH sounds identical to mine corvus. It's lovely :)

Totally off-topic, though I agree with everything you're saying, I noticed you mentioned a hare, which resulted in me paying more attention to your signature... Kit is gorgeous :D And I agree, my life and my career would be impossible living in a different state from my family if I didn't have a partner as committed to the care of my animals as what I am.

ETA I think in my case though, I sort of knew that my partner would come to love a doberman, he just didn't know as much about them as what I did and subsequently didn't know what was possible with the breed under good conditions. I knew what my partner liked about dogs, he just wouldn't believe me that dobes could offer it and that they could be loving. So I had to bring one home (1 year into our relationship) and now his friends call Sammy his fur-child because Dan is a man possessed.

Edited by jacqui835

Guest donatella

when i was thinking about getting a second Pom, I asked the moron i was on again off again with :banghead: what he thought of the idea and he said he would start calling me the crazy dog lady :crazy: .

what for having 2 dogs, heavens above!! i thought that was almost the norm

This is where I am really lucky as OH is a big softy where animals are concerned, so when we added to our family it was usually a joint decision, and in some cases it was just a big surprise to him. I'm their 24/7 carer, feeder, medicator, etc. so he wouldn't dare say no anyway.

Fortunately we are both on the same page when it comes to the animals here. We talk it through, look at the pros and cons and then nut out the cons so we can make it work WHEN the time is right. LOL

Importantly though make sure it is not something he is dead against. If he is then maybe now is not the right time.